Ohlins- price and setup - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old May 19th, 2008, 8:44 am Thread Starter

Ohlins- price and setup

Where's the best place to buy Ohlins now?

Pricing?
Are they good at setup?

Thanks.

David Major
Charleston, SC
-2003 LT
-2007 GS Adventure. White
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old May 19th, 2008, 11:00 am

Re: Ohlins- price and setup

I bought a set from Dan at Kyle Racing, via recommendations on this forum. Saved me at least $300+ from what my local dealer wanted. He also gave by far the best price of any company referenced on this forum.

I wasted a great deal of time and effort, attempting what otherwise should have been much less complicated install, had the company either offered an install video, or gave some decent explanations as to how to best install the shocks. HOW in the HELL it is they do not explain the rubber washer needs to be removed, before you attempt to remove the front shock, IS NOT in their instructions, is beyond me!

Even posts on this forum do not agree which of two methods is best, if there is one. I made my decision based on what tools I did not have, and the basic instructions offered by Ohlins. They also state you need to remove the 3mm hex head screw on the left fork holing the brake line support. Be prepared for that one!

There comes a point where there is just too much information, making choices more confusing.

To make matters worse, the day/week I attempted this, the people I needed to talk with were either on vacation for the entire week, out for lunch or otherwise not available.

IMO, the factory install instructions are more than lacking bordering on pathetic. Still working on adjusting the rear shock, but it is getting better. I should have asked a lot more questions, before I ordered the shocks. Not sure it that would have made a difference, but it is too late once you have them installed to make any changes.

However, the folks at OhlinsUSA are excellent answering your questions. I am totally unfamiliar with any shocks of this type, so their means of explaining how to set up the shocks, was foreign to me to begin with. I finally understood what they were talking about with a great deal of explanation and finally finding the appropriate diagram in the set up manual. It is more difficult to understand something you can not physically see.

The price one pays for ignorance.....
post #3 of 4 Old May 22nd, 2008, 11:36 pm

Got mine at Hard Racing.com

AKA "Speedbump"

Past:
2000 RT
2003 LT
2007 GSA
2013 GS
Another 2007 GSA
2007 RTP

post #4 of 4 Old May 23rd, 2008, 3:36 am

In Norway my ōhlins too mine k 75 2200$. From Motorworks England 1200$, sow i order one from Motorworks ofcourse.

http://www.bmwandguzzispares.co.uk/index.php?q=

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in