Me crashed 17 times with MC, you? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old May 16th, 2008, 6:54 am Thread Starter

Me crashed 17 times with MC, you?

Yes from start at age 16 to age 24 I crashed 17 times, where most was my fault! Young and stupid combined with speed and hormones did the trick.
6 of them was during summer season one year.Ï also rode all year except when it was to much snow/ice on the road.
Finally I sold the last bike when I was in the US, reason is that even if I had matured a little bit I still "thought" there were only two settings on the throttle...all or nothing
Then I found out that I rather stop driving MC`s and now finally 20 years after I am back, more mature and with an "old mans bike"
So far so good

How about you?
What and how many times have you crashed?

Pål
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old May 16th, 2008, 7:36 am

Re: Me crashed 17 times with MC, you?

I'll confess....

Twice I had my bike go down. Both up in NH in the spring, both turning too sharp and both with sand in the road.

Still makes me "suck foam up off my seat" when I round corners and see gravel, sand, whatever in the road.

I still ride aggressive (although recent tickets may have slowed me down), but in rain and "dirty" roads, I back off a bunch.

Never had a bike before as good as the LT

By the way, that was year 1 and two riding, over 20 years ago..

2005 KLT "Old Blue"

Bruno the "Bugg"

Democracy will only exist until 51% of the population believes they can live off the other 49% .
post #3 of 16 Old May 16th, 2008, 8:12 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by joegottberg
I'll confess....

Still makes me "suck foam up off my seat" when I round corners and see gravel, sand, whatever in the road.
Same here, my worst fears, that and women drivers!

post #4 of 16 Old May 16th, 2008, 8:13 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

I am probably setting a jinx on myself but 0. Not on a bike, not in a car and I have been licensed 42 years ( I don't count the dozens of time I went down dirt riding). I don't drive like a wuss but I am not overly aggressive either. I did suffer two accidents in cars as a passenger, both were in 1971, a month apart (different drivers, I'm not stupid either).

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 16 Old May 16th, 2008, 11:02 am

17? There must be a medal for that.

I've laid it down twice, both at slow speed, neither involving collisions. Once was while taking a left turn on a wet street. I knew the road was very slick and I babied it, but it still went down. Turns out, the bike may have had some damage from a few days before when I foolishly let a girl from work ride it and she proceeded to run into a chain link fence (with me on the back, helpless and feeling very stupid). A clamp that holds the fork to the frame was busted. Yikes. I consider myself lucky it went down when it did rather than going down the highway. Very poor after-accident inspection of the bike.

The second time was also a left-hand turn at a busy intersection. I don't know what caused that one, but it was a Yamaha Seka and it seemed to have brake issues. Maybe one of the brakes grabbing. I was so mad and embarrassed I hurt myself in my effort to try and "throw" the bike off the road. Piece of garbage.

I've heard there are 2 types of riders: those that've been down, and those that are going down. I'm hoping my two spills are enough to appease the gods, and I don't have any more falls in the future.

When a government takes over a people’s economic life it becomes absolute, and when it has become absolute it destroys the arts, the minds, the liberties and the meaning of the people it governs.
- Maxwell Anderson

Bob
2007 K1200GT
post #6 of 16 Old May 16th, 2008, 12:03 pm
Mister Moto

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
... I don't count the dozens of time I went down dirt riding...
I was about to say, in the triple digits somewhere for me if you count dirt bikes! So far zero on street bikes, the pavement looks very hard...I don't want to find out any time soon.

>K-daug

aka: studio4design
'06 LT "Shamu"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 16 Old May 16th, 2008, 12:07 pm

Two get offs, one at highway speed (the 405 in Orange County, CA). Was fully equiped (ATGATT), and walked away both times.

Dirt bikes - another story. Bunch of tumbles, and also lost all of my top front teeth in a head on during an MX event! A rider had crashed, lost his bearings, got back on his bike and started going the wrong way! I was the first guy he found... I came off a jump, and there he was; I saw him while I was in the air (it is amazing how in just a split second, you do have time to think, "Oh s***, this is gonna hurt!").

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-

Last edited by hallzee; May 16th, 2008 at 12:33 pm.
post #8 of 16 Old May 16th, 2008, 12:24 pm

Once at about 5 mph (wet manhole cover ), and once at about 55mph. Head-on into a cement wall! It was also due to wet conditions. That's why I love ABS brakes so much.

17 crashes is just 'off the chart' though. Now I know why you don't believe in God. It's quite obvious! Heaven doesn't want you ... and Hell's afraid you'll take over!!!
post #9 of 16 Old May 16th, 2008, 1:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
....and once at about 55mph. Head-on into a cement wall!...
I think that helps explain a lot!

Quote:
17 crashes is just 'off the chart' though. Now I know why you don't believe in God. It's quite obvious! Heaven doesn't want you ... and Hell's afraid you'll take over!!!
Joe, you owe me a new keyboard. That is funny.

Kevin

1999 K1200LT, patiently waiting for a new model.

Slave Cylinder Procedure->
post #10 of 16 Old May 16th, 2008, 1:06 pm

Almost killed myself on one of those at age 19. Not my fault, but at that time in Germany you did not get paid for pain and suffering nor punative damages. Spend 6 month between hospitals and recovering at home.

Flip-flops, shorts, T shirt, and no helmet on the way to a lake after work. T-boned by a car running a stop sign...

No other incidents since.

1962 Heinkel Scooter

Wolfgang

K1200LT 1999 Champaign SOLD
R1100RS 1994 Teal SOLD
R1150RT 2003 Blue (Sold)
R1100RT 1997 Blue

Pest, Budapest Hungary

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness."
Mark Twain

post #11 of 16 Old May 16th, 2008, 1:20 pm Thread Starter

Quote:

hehehe good one
Actualy when "flying" thru the air, I got all kinds of life in review from small child to young man as I was back that time. Like a flash memory draining itself in a few seconds.

And messenger, I sometimes joke about that saying that 3 days after I die, the devil will come to St. Peter and ask for political asylum, having been overtrown.
post #12 of 16 Old May 16th, 2008, 3:26 pm

Once for me--- and thats plenty in my opinion.
17 and still typing ----that's incredible
post #13 of 16 Old May 16th, 2008, 5:54 pm

2 time for me.

Once when the rear wheel broke at 60mph.

Once at a BMW rally when another rider hit me almost head on.

His k-bike totaled. My R90/6 repaired and went on, to be ridden again.
post #14 of 16 Old May 16th, 2008, 6:25 pm

In 35 years riding & racing off road .... 100's !!

On the street in 30 years .... ONCE !
Brused spleen, 5 broken ribs and enough gravel ground into the meat to last a life time !!

Ride smart, or don't ride at all !! .... yea right

"00" Canyon Red LTI ~ Well Farklized ~ Bug Splattered
Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

T
wisties Required

post #15 of 16 Old May 16th, 2008, 7:10 pm

Let me see now, 37 yrs riding. A few before 16 on dirt. After 16. 2 different cars(same year different dates), slid under a truck(rain), hit ice patch, 4 times road racing, and tipped over 3 times.(different bikes).

Zeke

45 years riding and still more places to see.
2002 K1200LT
2016 R1200RT
IBA # 41935
post #16 of 16 Old May 17th, 2008, 2:15 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang
Almost killed myself on one of those at age 19. Not my fault, but at that time in Germany you did not get paid for pain and suffering nor punative damages. Spend 6 month between hospitals and recovering at home.

Flip-flops, shorts, T shirt, and no helmet on the way to a lake after work. T-boned by a car running a stop sign...

No other incidents since.

1962 Heinkel Scooter
Wolfgang
Can I borrow you last line there (signature), the one in red?
I sure liked that one

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in