Idiot City Design Engineers - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old May 15th, 2008, 9:31 am Thread Starter
KIC

Idiot City Design Engineers

So... a month or so ago some downtown construction work was completed and one of the main roads into the downtown area was re-opened after being closed down for some time.

I decided to take that route to my father's house to pick him up for his first bike ride in over 22 years. His last bike ride was when he rode my Honda 750 and ended with an ambulance trip and a broken collar bone.

Anyway, back to the Idiot design engineers. So I am cruising along, enjoying the nice new fresh smooth asphalt, totally aware of the big city bus along side me when I came to a turn in the road that have driven many many times in the last 33 +/- years. No problem, wasn't speeding, just cruising. All I have to do is make a simple left sweeping turn.

BUT WAIT........ I left out the IDIOT DESIGN ENGINEER factor !

As I am making my turn, and remember there was a big city bus right next to me, I find something in my lane that doesn't work real well with a two wheeled motorcycle leaning into a turn.

What might that be you ask ? Well it would be TROLLEY TRACKS ! FREAKIN Trolley Tracks in the road. AND...they came from the other direction into my lane and continued to move closer to the left side of the lane.

I took these pictures over the course of several trips in my big LT ( Tahoe LT ) since it was hard to drive, shoot and not hit other vehicles while doing it.

Anyway, I called the City Engineering as soon as I arrived (really pissed off) at my dad's house and explained that they were now put on notice that they had a serious hazard in place.

They responded that they had discussed the possibility of the tracks being a problem for bicycles, but hadn't thought about motorcycles.

I told them that they better think about motorcycles. The way the tracks come from the other direction without notice, and then "trap" a bike in the middle of a turn, could create a dangerous situation since these Trolley Tracks have a large gap between the rail and the asphalt.

They stated that they would "take it under advisement" . I told them I would be watching for word on the first bike accident/injury due to the situation and would be the first to testify that they were aware of the danger. I was really glad I didn't have a passenger on the bike as I had to really throw the bike back and forth within my lane since I had a big freakin bus right next to me in the turn. I couldn't go to my right and the *&%$#N tracks were moving across my lane to the left.

Nothing like being railroaded down a road.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A.JPG
Views:	172
Size:	545.1 KB
ID:	17883   Click image for larger version

Name:	B.JPG
Views:	163
Size:	586.5 KB
ID:	17884   Click image for larger version

Name:	C.JPG
Views:	167
Size:	500.7 KB
ID:	17885   Click image for larger version

Name:	D.JPG
Views:	166
Size:	532.2 KB
ID:	17886   Click image for larger version

Name:	E.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	586.8 KB
ID:	17887  

PROUD FATHER OF A MILITARY DAUGHTER !.
She's for sale
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SOLD 7-19-08 [url]

There are those who ride BMW's.. and those who wish they did.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ron's R11/1 Vergasser's - 1st Wingman

Sophmore : BMWLT - University of Luxury Touring Education

2000 K1200LTC Champagne SOLD 7-08
2006 KLR 650 - RED- The fast dual sport color !
2002 TW 200 - White/Blue - #1,The wife's CRF replacement.
2002 TW 200 - WhiteBlue - #2, My matching toy
2001 XT 225 - White/Blue - Sold 7/08
92 K75S Red and fast (sadly gone)

Yamaha YZ 250 for the dirt ( still good use for a smokin' 2-stroke !) In critical care 4/08
Honda CRF 230F - Wifey's dirt fun. (Sold)
Many Honda 750 F's (May they Rest In Peace)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old May 15th, 2008, 9:45 am

Re: Idiot City Design Engineers

From the pictures, I can see just how dangerous this must be.
Is there a trolley service on this street? If yes, I expect they may put up a warning sign, but the tracks are there to stay.
Glad to hear you managed to manuver, just be careful!
Les
post #3 of 15 Old May 15th, 2008, 9:59 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIC
So... a month or so ago some downtown construction work was completed and one of the main roads into the downtown area was re-opened after being closed down for some time.

I decided to take that route to my father's house to pick him up for his first bike ride in over 22 years. His last bike ride was when he rode my Honda 750 and ended with an ambulance trip and a broken collar bone.

Anyway, back to the Idiot design engineers. So I am cruising along, enjoying the nice new fresh smooth asphalt, totally aware of the big city bus along side me when I came to a turn in the road that have driven many many times in the last 33 +/- years. No problem, wasn't speeding, just cruising. All I have to do is make a simple left sweeping turn.

BUT WAIT........ I left out the IDIOT DESIGN ENGINEER factor !

As I am making my turn, and remember there was a big city bus right next to me, I find something in my lane that doesn't work real well with a two wheeled motorcycle leaning into a turn.

What might that be you ask ? Well it would be TROLLEY TRACKS ! FREAKIN Trolley Tracks in the road. AND...they came from the other direction into my lane and continued to move closer to the left side of the lane.

I took these pictures over the course of several trips in my big LT ( Tahoe LT ) since it was hard to drive, shoot and not hit other vehicles while doing it.

Anyway, I called the City Engineering as soon as I arrived (really pissed off) at my dad's house and explained that they were now put on notice that they had a serious hazard in place.

They responded that they had discussed the possibility of the tracks being a problem for bicycles, but hadn't thought about motorcycles.

I told them that they better think about motorcycles. The way the tracks come from the other direction without notice, and then "trap" a bike in the middle of a turn, could create a dangerous situation since these Trolley Tracks have a large gap between the rail and the asphalt.

They stated that they would "take it under advisement" . I told them I would be watching for word on the first bike accident/injury due to the situation and would be the first to testify that they were aware of the danger. I was really glad I didn't have a passenger on the bike as I had to really throw the bike back and forth within my lane since I had a big freakin bus right next to me in the turn. I couldn't go to my right and the *&%$#N tracks were moving across my lane to the left.

Nothing like being railroaded down a road.
And Tucson touts itself with signs all over the place proclaiming that it is a "Bicycle Friendly" city.

Just like fouth avenue... except this is WORSE! What a bunch of retards, can you imagine a skinny bicycle - or scooter - wheel stuck in that gap?

This is right up there with the PD deciding to buy 65 new Harley's instead of BMW's. I saw one broken down the other day on the side of Tanque Verde. You can bet if that one has a problem...

There has GOT to be a way to have the trolly tracks designed so this does not happen...? I wonder what it's like in San Fran.

"Like Butt-ahh!"

post #4 of 15 Old May 15th, 2008, 10:00 am Thread Starter
KIC

They have a little trolley in another part of the outskirts of downtown. Hadn't heard that they were bringing it into downtown and putting those tracks all over. Guess I missed that newspaper article.

Yea Ron, they do. I left out the part where the City Engineering told me that there was some type of rubber gap filler available but it "was very expensive" I responded that it would be cheaper than a death claim payout.

Always not enough money to do it right the first time, but enough to pay out lawsuit claims AND then fix the problem.

There you go Ron, crash the R11/1 Vergasser on the tracks and I'll testify about their prior knowledge !

She's for sale
SOLD 7-19-08 [url]

Yamaha YZ 250 for the dirt ( still good use for a smokin' 2-stroke !) In critical care 4/08

Last edited by KIC; May 15th, 2008 at 10:05 am.
post #5 of 15 Old May 15th, 2008, 10:15 am

Hmmmm - I see where some of the TXDOT engineers have taken jobs in Tucson?!?!

You must not have been talkin' to one, tho - or did I miss the part about 'arrogance'?!?!

By the way - how in the world do/did they plan on a trolley/cage merge?? Good grief!
post #6 of 15 Old May 15th, 2008, 10:26 am Thread Starter
KIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Hmmmm - I see where some of the TXDOT engineers have taken jobs in Tucson?!?!

You must not have been talkin' to one, tho - or did I miss the part about 'arrogance'?!?!

By the way - how in the world do/did they plan on a trolley/cage merge?? Good grief!
Good question... There is not a traffic light at that turn so how a trolley is going to cross 3 lanes of traffic that appears to be coming head on should be interesting. But hey..they are CITY Engineers. That makes them ..like ..special ?!

P.S. If they are from Texas..can we send them back ??? Please??

She's for sale
SOLD 7-19-08 [url]

post #7 of 15 Old May 15th, 2008, 10:29 am

[QUOTE=KIC]

P.S. If they are from Texas..can we send them back ??? Please??QUOTE]
NO! Fact, we got more comin'!!!!
post #8 of 15 Old May 15th, 2008, 11:24 am

Let me know when they get that trolly running.

I see a crash and lawsuit in my future.

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #9 of 15 Old May 15th, 2008, 12:25 pm

You think it's bad now. Just wait til those tracks get just a little bit of moisture on them.

'99K1200LT - "Bertha" - gone, but not forgotten!
'86 Concours - "Horse with no name" (under reconstructive surgery)
'06 K1200GT - "Road Rocket"
Marshall, Tx

post #10 of 15 Old May 15th, 2008, 7:13 pm

I can only imagine what went through your mind as you came up on those tracks. Yikes.

Suggestion: Write the appropriate authorities a letter so your comments/complaints are in writing. Maybe get the letter notarized to prove the date it was sent, and/or send it "return receipt requested". Maybe this is all overkill; I'm no lawyer.

With this on record they can't claim a lack of prior knowledge.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #11 of 15 Old May 15th, 2008, 9:35 pm

Must be Tuscon hires out of Denver. Ever try to walk, drive or ride downtown Denver? High speed light rail trains go the wrong way on one way streets . At 15th and Curtis (one way on Curtis) you have a green to turn left onto 15th (also one way) when here come a SILENT high speed electric train crossing 15th going the wrong frigging way on Curtis. Only one death I know of so far. What kind of drug do you have to be on to come up with these designs? Moot
post #12 of 15 Old May 15th, 2008, 9:40 pm
Super Moderator

Two recommendations:

Sign Posts everywhere - warning tracks in the road ahead - warns both cages, bikes and bikers

Signs painted on the road surface warning riders of imbedded tracks ahead . . .

This will not eliminate the hazard but may save a life or limb!!!

Dan Finazzo

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"
post #13 of 15 Old May 16th, 2008, 10:23 am Thread Starter
KIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfinazzo
Two recommendations:

Sign Posts everywhere - warning tracks in the road ahead - warns both cages, bikes and bikers

Signs painted on the road surface warning riders of imbedded tracks ahead . . .

This will not eliminate the hazard but may save a life or limb!!!
Third recommendation: Don't put friggin tracks in the middle of the road ! This trolley thing is a monumental waste of tax dollars and a "feel good" remedy for a few idiots. The section of town where it runs back and forth, I believe about a mile or less each way, is hardly used. Everytime I have been there I have only seen one or two kids on it.

I drove by the construction area yesterday and can see where they have torn up the asphalt to lay more tracks around the downtown city blocks to return it to the 4th Avenue area.

So it looks like the design model is for it to come from the 4th Avenue college/hippy part of town into the downtown area, kill a few motorcyclists, circle around and return to "partyville".

She's for sale
SOLD 7-19-08 [url]

post #14 of 15 Old May 16th, 2008, 7:30 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIC
Third recommendation: Don't put friggin tracks in the middle of the road ! This trolley thing is a monumental waste of tax dollars and a "feel good" remedy for a few idiots. The section of town where it runs back and forth, I believe about a mile or less each way, is hardly used. Everytime I have been there I have only seen one or two kids on it.

I drove by the construction area yesterday and can see where they have torn up the asphalt to lay more tracks around the downtown city blocks to return it to the 4th Avenue area.

So it looks like the design model is for it to come from the 4th Avenue college/hippy part of town into the downtown area, kill a few motorcyclists, circle around and return to "partyville".
AH HA! - so there WAS a plan after all!

Them engineers are purty smart fellers...

Me thinks you should let the bicycle boys around town know - they've got a lot more poltical clout around these parts than you can imagine. Lots of Doctors and Lawyers ride.

http://www.bikegaba.org

and here's one of their ambulance chasers - I mean sponsors - sorry:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	eric post.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	17909  

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #15 of 15 Old May 17th, 2008, 12:36 pm
THE Democracy Doctor

Location: We LOVE illegals and Socialists, Sunny, Southern Kommyfornia,

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIC
....This trolley thing is a monumental waste of tax dollars and a "feel good" remedy for a few idiots. The section of town where it runs back and forth, I believe about a mile or less each way, is hardly used....
Reminds me of good 'ol Los Angeles--where the "rocket fuel genius" engineers decided to put a subway UNDER the city(at a cost of millions per mile)! Now, same geniuses want to expand the subway UNDER the city(except now, it's tens of millions per mile)! But, then I remember: this is the "new" (Jerry Springer) Amerika: sound logic is illogical and what really matters is how we FEEL about everything!

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." (Some really OLD friggin' White dude who couldn't have possibly known what he was talking about!) WARNING: Official HATE speech!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in