Do it yourself Valve stem replacment - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old May 12th, 2008, 12:04 pm Thread Starter

Do it yourself Valve stem replacment

I had that feeling again (Mushy front end) this weekend. Checked pressure and tire for damage in a parking lot and when I went to hit the valve stem (Rubber new last November less the 3K) it went SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH then I finished the sound with "IT". I managed to pump it back up to 42 very gently with on board Air compressor to limp home and had 20 LBS left in the tire when I hit the barn after a 5 mile crawl.

Got the tire off Saturday, but to late to get it to a shop and no one open on Sunday.

Neighbor stoped by saw me with front tire in hand and asked what happened told him and said I will take to shop on Monday.

He said lets fix it now. I told him I had no tire mounting gear and he said you do not need it. He showed me a trick (Which I did not think would work) that he used to do about 30 years ago when he was a kid on his bikes.

He had me take a small block of wood (3/4 " thick) and a 12 inch C clamp (Wood on solid side of clamp and crank against tire side wall just under valve stem on red dots on the side wall) and break the bead on the tire and continue to crank it in until I could see the stem bottom on the inside of the wheel.

Popped out the old stem and in with the new (Metal) and refilled with air to 55 LBS. then placed tire in water in wash tub and bingo no bubbles. Brought her back down to 42 and put her back on. (Should have taken pics but did not think of it at the time)

I proceeded to do the back with it on the bike in less the 45 Minutes.

I put Metal valve stems on front and back on Sunday picked them up from NAPA size .453 on the 02 LT.

Took her out for a spin between the rain on Sunday and she felt stable again..

I am just wondering how the new stem affected tire balance or if clamping the sidewall down that far could have damaged the tire sidewall.

Anyone replaced a valve stem this way and had any adverse affects?

Thanks

Rich Kirker
2002 LTC Pacific Blue
Caliper Moto Lights, Hyper light brake lights, Spiegler brake lines, Ride West side markers, Grip puppies, HyperPro Springs and CA HID Kit.
BMWMOA #124306
2009 Honda Shadow (Wife's)
Blue & Pearl
"Well Itís not rocket science but absolutely a nightmare. At the end of the day you had a fairly unique situation that I personally at this moment in time could see me having as well 24/7. With all due respect, it shouldnít of happened."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old May 12th, 2008, 12:59 pm

Re: Do it yourself Valve stem replacment

Adverse effects:
-loss of dealer revenue.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 Old May 12th, 2008, 7:18 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Hi Rich , A friend of mine call a few weeks ago . He had a rear tire on his '99 K1200LT go flat . He had checked the pressure in his tires before going for a ride . Then around a hour into his ride , it didn't feel right . So he stopped ,& checked his tires . He thought he picked up a nail or something . The rear was low ,so He put a little air in to it . Then the metal part with the valve in it , the part in the middle of the rubber part blew out (:-0).

I have a spare rear wheel & tire for our 2002 K1200LT/Hannigan 2+2 , so I ran it out to him & fixed him up ... We go to Florida for 4 mounths ever winter , so I always go with a new rear . With all them K1200LT trikes out there , there are a lot of rear wheels laying around (;-Ľ).

If you are thinking of getting your owen tire equipment . I use a Harbor Freight Portable Tire Changer & Motorcycle Tire Changer Attachment With a set of Mojoblocks on it http://home.comcast.net/~prestondrake/mojoblocks.htm . A Mojolever http://home.comcast.net/~prestondrake/mojoweb.htm , & a static wheel balancer by Marc Parnes http://www.marcparnes.com/ . Works for me .

Patric Blackman
2002 K1200LT/Hannigan2+2
2010 R1200GSA ...1987 Helix...
AMA Charter Lifemember
37 Year Member of both BMWMOA & BMWRA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 Old May 12th, 2008, 8:04 pm

Been there...

Scared the crap out of the wife, I rode the flat home.

Visit
_ Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but always enough time to do it over?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in