Almost met my Maker today - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old May 9th, 2008, 1:23 pm Thread Starter

Almost met my Maker today

What would you have done?

I just exited my workplace (chemical plant) for lunch with a left turn onto a two lane county road. There is a turning lane for oncoming traffic to enter the plant and one lane and shoulder on my side.

Three vehicles are approaching me and no one behind me. I have already straightened up from the turn onto highway and am in second gear - the oncoming vehicles are probably 100 yards away at this point and speed limit is 60mph.

From the back of the pack of 3 oncoming vehicles, a red firebird pulls out with high acceleration and moves around the last oncoming vehicle, across my lane (his passing lane) and onto the shoulder on my side before he sees me - about 50 yards away at this point.

If he had just moved into the passing lane I would have had time to swerve onto the shoulder and into the ditch, but since he is on the shoulder I don't know if he will stay there, move into my lane, go into the ditch or lose control.

He sees me right when he begins to swerve from the shoulder into the normal passing lane. (It's a double yellow line here by the way). Then he straightens and stays on the shoulder.

It happened so fast the two trucks he passed didn't have time or think to move onto their shoulder and give me their lane.

I didn't have time to swerve right and get to the ditch before he meets me, and no room on left due to oncoming trucks.

Since I saw him straighten his swerve and stay on the shoulder after he saw me I stopped in the center and let everyone pass. No one was behind me so no danger there.

I don't feel I had a choice here and no exit place before they were on me. I stayed in the only lane that didn't have an oncoming vehicle and it worked out OK.

Grateful to be here,

Joe

EncoreJoe

"Ride, boldly ride, ... If you seek for Eldorado!"

'10 Triumph Tiger 1050
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old May 9th, 2008, 1:43 pm

Re: Almost met my Maker today

I would of said $#@* then changed my shorts.

I'm glad it worked out for you. Zowie.

Just Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #3 of 26 Old May 9th, 2008, 1:44 pm

The sad truth is, sometimes a sequence of events can take your life, regardless of how skillful and experienced you are. Sounds like you were in the wrong place at the wrong time, you took the only option available and you made it. I might've headed for the centerline of the two-way road, in the hopes of squeezing between the oncomings on your right and left.

Maybe it's a good day for you to buy a lottery ticket.

post #4 of 26 Old May 9th, 2008, 4:34 pm

Thank your Maker that today was not the day to meet Him.

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 26 Old May 9th, 2008, 4:40 pm

You survived because of what you did, I wouldn't second guess your reactions.

You can have all the training in the world, but when something goes wrong, the split second decisions decide our fate.

Warm & Safe Heated Clothing Sale- Lowest Prices!!

Contact Me.

post #6 of 26 Old May 9th, 2008, 4:42 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwnahas
I would of said $#@* then changed my shorts.

I'm glad it worked out for you. Zowie.
Not sure anyone on here would have or could have done anything different with those circumstances. The good Lord did not have your name in his book for that day. Enjoy life and celebrate! Oh, and they make leather repair kits for that little hole your "little hole" squeezed into your seat
post #7 of 26 Old May 9th, 2008, 4:48 pm

You obviously made a very good judgement call, you're still with us
post #8 of 26 Old May 9th, 2008, 5:11 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for all the comments and support.

I think I ride with caution but from now on I'm going to expected the absolute worst from other drivers.

But for now, the air smells sweeter and I have realized once again how good life is and how blessed I am.

Ride safe!

Joe

EncoreJoe

'10 Triumph Tiger 1050
post #9 of 26 Old May 9th, 2008, 8:31 pm

I think you did the right thing, not much time to react thats for sure. I think you should have a talk with your maker so when you do meet him you will be old friends! Glad your still here.

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #10 of 26 Old May 10th, 2008, 11:53 am

Dang Joe, glad you are still able to talk about it. I think you made the right decision. You can practice and practice but until something comes right at you, every situation can be different. You made the right choice.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #11 of 26 Old May 10th, 2008, 6:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by EncoreJoe
Joe,

Been there. Don't second guess yourself. You did exactly the right thing because you survived. I look at it as kind of a pass/fail test... you passed congrats.

As an aside, isn't it amazing how everything seems to slow down giving you time to notice all of the little things that help keep you alive in a situation like that.

Regards,

Jack

84 Honda CB750 (sold)
96 HD Ultra Classic (sold)
04 HD Sportster (sold)
05 HD Ultra Classic "Pounder" (sold)
05 BMW K1200LT Graphite "Liebchen"
BMWMOA #126455
Equito Ergo Sum

post #12 of 26 Old May 10th, 2008, 8:19 pm

Joe,

What a scary situation. I am so glad you made it. I hope you feel good about it, now that it is over.

You made the right choice and it was the best possible choice in a bad situation. You had nowhere to go. By stopping, you gave the oncoming vehicles the maximum amount of time to work it out for themselves. Well done.

"Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before" -- Mae West
post #13 of 26 Old May 10th, 2008, 10:19 pm

You have discovered something that many riders never face. In MSF classes motorcycle riding is compared to flying a helicopter. You have 200 + things to keep in mind of while riding. Fortunately you were not sleeping while this was happening in seconds. You will probably play this scenario in your mind for quite awhile, you may even dream about it for a time. Only the time in your mind will grow with thought.

Be thankful and stay alert! Congratulations on surviving!

NOGILLS2

Booze Brother# 69
2003 K1200LTE "BEERBURNER" RIP 07/21/09
2006 Aluma Trailer "AFTERBURNER" SOLD
2007 ST1300ABS "Quicksilver"

post #14 of 26 Old May 10th, 2008, 10:23 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by EncoreJoe
Thanks for all the comments and support.

I think I ride with caution but from now on I'm going to expected the absolute worst from other drivers.

But for now, the air smells sweeter and I have realized once again how good life is and how blessed I am.

Ride safe!

Joe

Amen Joe
Great work to avoid the worst

Rich Kirker
2002 LTC Pacific Blue
Caliper Moto Lights, Hyper light brake lights, Spiegler brake lines, Ride West side markers, Grip puppies, HyperPro Springs and CA HID Kit.
BMWMOA #124306
2009 Honda Shadow (Wife's)
Blue & Pearl
"Well It’s not rocket science but absolutely a nightmare. At the end of the day you had a fairly unique situation that I personally at this moment in time could see me having as well 24/7. With all due respect, it shouldn’t of happened."
post #15 of 26 Old May 10th, 2008, 10:38 pm

go here this may explain it all.... http://video.stumbleupon.com/#p=dmoxqnkyjj Oh take the time and watch all of it.

Craig Hutchison
02 Pac Blue (Aka Blue Ox)
34° 14’ 12.63 N
119° 01’ 21.64 W

Why coast through Life when you can Corner it.
post #16 of 26 Old May 11th, 2008, 5:51 pm

I agree with everyone else here...you did a wonderful job of reading the driver driving on the shoulder. But dude, that had to be one helpless feeling stopped in your lane and letting them go by!

Congrats on living life a little longer.

Wade

99 K-1200LT
82 Yamaha Virago (Girl of my youth)

"No one knows as much as all of us do." --General George Patton

post #17 of 26 Old May 11th, 2008, 6:50 pm Thread Starter

Thanks again for all the kind words and thoughts. I didn't mention it, but maybe my hi-viz yellow jacket helped too.

Ride safe everyone, and live every day like your last. Actually, I have already met my maker but am not ready for the final departure just yet. (Enjoyed that video)

We've got our first grandchild due in November, so there's some more work to do for this Grandpa - to - be. (I can't wait!).

Have a great week.

Joe

EncoreJoe

'10 Triumph Tiger 1050
post #18 of 26 Old May 11th, 2008, 7:47 pm
cws

Garage

A story with a good end thankfully, but it makes me wanta ask, how well lit up are you at the front end Joe?
Under the circumstances it might not have made any difference, but interested to know if you have any additional lighting?
best regards
Chris

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #19 of 26 Old May 11th, 2008, 10:49 pm Thread Starter

Chris,

I have the HID upgrade for low beam and two PIAA 1100's mounted under the front cowling.

I wasn't running with the PIAA's on. There's another chemical plant entrance I pass on my way too and from work and sometimes I wait until I'm in that area to turn them on so the switch on catches attention of those who might pull out in front of me.

Extra lighting is a good thought and I probably need to run with all the lights all the time. I had all my gear on but was only going 1/2 mile down the road to the post office.... Should have all the lights on always - I think I will from now on.

Joe

EncoreJoe

'10 Triumph Tiger 1050
post #20 of 26 Old May 11th, 2008, 10:58 pm
cws

Garage

Given your "experience" it might be a wise thing Joe.
I put a switch in for my Motolights, but never turn them off.
I've found the extra visibility its given me to other motorists by having them on all the time has made a huge difference in them (cages) allowing me extra space instead of turning across in front of me, at least more often than without them! (if that makes sense....)

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #21 of 26 Old May 12th, 2008, 10:29 am

I would have been real tempted to chase down the 'bird and call his plates in to the cops. MG.

mgbmw2002
post #22 of 26 Old May 12th, 2008, 12:00 pm Thread Starter

I did follow him and get the plate numbers. I left a message with Texas DPS on Friday - they haven't returned my call.

I send an e-mail to our county Sheriff with the the incident description from this thread. I know the Sheriff personally from his deputy days when he trained me for concealed carry and from various community events in our small town.

No response from him either.

I guess they figure - no harm done... (this time).

I know it would be hard to respond to reports of dangerous driving but the Sheriff knows I'm not a crackpot (I think). If a stern talking to and a promise to keep their eye on the driver would prevent a fatality I would hope they would be interested.

Joe

EncoreJoe

'10 Triumph Tiger 1050
post #23 of 26 Old May 18th, 2008, 10:49 pm

Glad you're okay, Joe.

Your question reminded me of taking the Professional Association of Diving Instructors course years ago. I was doing an emergency ascent, where they basically cut your scuba tank off--while you're breathing with it--at the very bottom of a deep body of water and you have to back up to the top without drowning or tearing your lung bags with the pressurized air remaining in your lungs.

"How did you do?", the instructor asked afterwards.

"I don't think I did it right. I lost a fin."

"Are you alive?"

I thought about it. "Yeah."

"Then you did it right."
post #24 of 26 Old May 19th, 2008, 10:26 am

That you were able to take in the situation, assess your options and make the correct decision in the microseconds involved, all speak to your experience and riding skill. Right choice and a nice from God to boot.

Chuck

09 BMW GS 1200 Adventure
06 MV Agusta Brutale
05 Ducati 999
post #25 of 26 Old May 21st, 2008, 9:02 am

OK Joe, it's been about two weeks so I have to ask, do you still "get that feeling" when you ride past the same spot? I rode past "the Spot" that put me in a wheelchair for almost a year and when I did, cold chills all over my body but after that, it never bothered me again.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #26 of 26 Old May 22nd, 2008, 4:26 pm Thread Starter

Hi Bones.

I do ride past that area quite often, but I've been surprised to find that I've thought about it but haven't been worrying about it.

Now if I had been in an accident things might be different! Someone was watching over me that day

Joe

EncoreJoe

'10 Triumph Tiger 1050

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in