KLR 650 who's gottem - how you like them - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old May 7th, 2008, 11:54 pm Thread Starter
KIC

Question KLR 650 who's gottem - how you like them

So....I have really been drawn to the KLR 650. Several guys I know have recently obtained them and the research on them seems impressive. I know a lot of you have duel sports and I believe the KLR has been the dual sport of choice.

So..... how about some feed back - good and bad - on these puppies?

PROUD FATHER OF A MILITARY DAUGHTER !.
She's for sale
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SOLD 7-19-08 [url]

There are those who ride BMW's.. and those who wish they did.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ron's R11/1 Vergasser's - 1st Wingman

Sophmore : BMWLT - University of Luxury Touring Education

2000 K1200LTC Champagne SOLD 7-08
2006 KLR 650 - RED- The fast dual sport color !
2002 TW 200 - White/Blue - #1,The wife's CRF replacement.
2002 TW 200 - WhiteBlue - #2, My matching toy
2001 XT 225 - White/Blue - Sold 7/08
92 K75S Red and fast (sadly gone)

Yamaha YZ 250 for the dirt ( still good use for a smokin' 2-stroke !) In critical care 4/08
Honda CRF 230F - Wifey's dirt fun. (Sold)
Many Honda 750 F's (May they Rest In Peace)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old May 8th, 2008, 1:27 am
Some guy on the Interwebs

Thumbs up Re: KLR 650 who's gottem - how you like them

I'm on my third one, currently a '08. They are inexpensive, fun, and very easy to work on. All of the years have some issues, visit this website to read all about them...

http://www.klr650.net/forums/

I can't imagine ever NOT having a KLR in the garage. Go for it, you will get a kick out of it and often take it instead of a bigger bike. I went from a GS to my KLR and still think it was a good decision for me.

Hal
Lodi, California

If you aren't good for anything else, you can always serve as a bad example.

HDDC Posse

post #3 of 13 Old May 8th, 2008, 7:20 am

Re: KLR 650 who's gottem - how you like them

I bought my 08 about a month ago. I like the bike alot. Makes the LT feel like a tank. They are good do everything bikes. Not great in anything, but do it all. A little underpowered from most bigger dual sports, but still has enough to have fun. Invest in some crashbars, they paid themselves off already. I like bigger pegs also. Stock are no good off road with MX boots on.

Neil '00 K1200LT '08 KLR
"Far away, is far away...
Only if you don't go!!!"

post #4 of 13 Old May 8th, 2008, 7:59 pm

A bunch of guys stoped at my booth this past weekend at the GA mtn rally and one of them had a new KLR that he just picked up from his dealer in the New England area. His buddies were mighty impressed with how well he kept up with their beemers. He said the only thing he didn't like was the seat and he was going to look into something else when he got home. He also said the bike burned 0 amount of oil.
I thought of a KLR before I bought my 650 V Strom, but it sits pretty high for me and I'm no big fan of single cyl. The V Strom suits me better as I'm using it 95% on pavement but if I was going to be serious with off roading the KLR is the way to go. Both bikes have there own cult following, I don't see how you can go wrong with ether one!
post #5 of 13 Old May 8th, 2008, 8:42 pm

I just got back from Moab, Utah and they were EVERYWHERE down there. Probably 75% KLR and 25% everything else (including BMW). Speaks for itself, I guess.
post #6 of 13 Old May 8th, 2008, 10:41 pm

I had one but it's gone now. It was a good bike but if I was to get a 650 again I would probably look for a really nice DR650. The DR is a better handling bike in the dirt and even though its air/oil cooled the motor is good for long road trips.

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #7 of 13 Old May 8th, 2008, 11:05 pm
just a guy

The KLR650 is very useful, is comfortable for a wide range of riders, and really easy to maintain. Even a new KLr is a pretty good deal. Used bikes a couple of years old can be a bargain. If you get a 2007 back to 1996 all the parts will interchange except for bodywork color. They are super easy to customize, with tons of aftermarket support. We even have wonderful tech days all over the country. I recognize a few names here.. Howdy, Hal! This is my second post, been lurking a bit, only had the new blue magic carpet ride 2 weeks tomorrow.

all the best,

Mike
post #8 of 13 Old May 8th, 2008, 11:51 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglemike
I recognize a few names here.. Howdy, Hal! This is my second post, been lurking a bit, only had the new blue magic carpet ride 2 weeks tomorrow.

all the best,

Mike
Hi Mike! Damn, you and I have a lot of the same interests. I ran across your postings on a few gun sites also. I just started shooting USPSA matches.

EagleMike is THE source of knowledge and custom designed and manufactured parts for the KLR. Mike is the Raffy of the KLR world.

Hal
Lodi, California

HDDC Posse

post #9 of 13 Old May 9th, 2008, 9:09 am Thread Starter
KIC

Appreciate the feed back. After this forum, the first thing I did was locate and join the KLR forum. Just been lurking there so far.

Already have two friends now interested in the KLR. Might be putting together a group buy on KLRs.

Now I have to figure out whether the red or blue is the fastest and which color is the most comfortable.

I heard the red jumps higher.

She's for sale
SOLD 7-19-08 [url]

Yamaha YZ 250 for the dirt ( still good use for a smokin' 2-stroke !) In critical care 4/08
post #10 of 13 Old May 9th, 2008, 10:15 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIC
So....I have really been drawn to the KLR 650. Several guys I know have recently obtained them and the research on them seems impressive. I know a lot of you have duel sports and I believe the KLR has been the dual sport of choice.

So..... how about some feed back - good and bad - on these puppies?
+1 with other responders: a fun bike.

I sold my '92 KLR650 last fall and am selling my '96 today (!). Not because I don't like it; just too many bikes in the garage.

It enforces a different pace: smell the roses. Will keep up with fast bikes, too, but it does struggle at high speed on highway: don't forget, it is not meant for that type of riding.

I found it to be very relaxing to ride: enjoying the pace, enjoying the views. (Because my BMW bikes, in particular recently departed K12RS, somehow always tempt me to push the envelope.)

The KLR is very reliable, inexpensive to maintain. Worth getting one, even if only for a while.

Robert in Northern NJ

'09 R12GS, '08 R12RT, '03 R1150RT, '01 F650GS - time to thin the herd?

post #11 of 13 Old May 9th, 2008, 3:18 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIC

Now I have to figure out whether the red or blue is the fastest and which color is the most comfortable.

I heard the red jumps higher.
Actually the black one is fastest...

Picture taken at the DVD trip this year, a must do for KLR owners...

Hal
Lodi, California

HDDC Posse

post #12 of 13 Old May 10th, 2008, 7:17 pm Thread Starter
KIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by LodiHal
Actually the black one is fastest...

Picture taken at the DVD trip this year, a must do for KLR owners...
That could be true, but in my neck of the woods, Tucson, but it's a dry heat, Arizona, black would probably leave a few burn marks in some sensitive places.

She's for sale
SOLD 7-19-08 [url]

post #13 of 13 Old May 21st, 2008, 12:57 pm

Green is the best. . I bought one for commuting and to play sometimes. Easy to work on and plenty of parts available online...like Eaglemikes doohicky and spring(thanks by the way, almost too pretty to put in the bike)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in