OK, Another Which is Better LT or RT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Apr 28th, 2008, 7:01 pm Thread Starter

OK, Another Which is Better LT or RT

Ok Guys/Gals

I made a previous thread which is better LT or GW. Well after reasearching the BMW sites, BMWLT.com and BMWST.com, I have a few questions about RT and LT.

Does the RT have final drive issues as the LT. Is this FD isssue only on a range of BMW model/years ?

I remember reading somthing about a fluid leak into another system of the motorcycle for LT in this forum, Does RT have that same issue. I really can't remember the exact issue, but the soultion was drilling a small hole somewhere so it could leak away before it hit this system.

For long distance, How does the RT compare to the LT. How about daily commutes 1/2 on freeway and 1/2 on city streets ?

I know the weight of the RT seems to be impressive to this fourm as well as the BMWST's. The LT's weight has to be learned how to control. Is the RT pretty stable in windy situations ?

Reading your threads, The LT has night time lighting issues that needs to be corrected, How about the RT, does it have lousy nighttime lighting.

I also read about complaints on the LT seats, some say the seats are fantistic others got a custom seat. I heard nothing about the RT's seat, same issues for long distance.

Is there a heat issue with the RT. Living in AZ, is that an issue with RT or LT ?

Onther thread complaing about the LT's mirrows falling off, does RT have this issue ?

Thanks

Marty Galison

Marty Galison
Surprise, Arizona

"When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson --
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Apr 28th, 2008, 7:06 pm Thread Starter

Re: OK, Another Which is Better LT or RT

Thanks for your knowledge and pretty fair inpit

Marty Galison
Surprise, Arizona

"When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson --
post #3 of 4 Old Apr 28th, 2008, 8:31 pm

I have an LT and RT, both are used. Personally I think the issues with final drives and generic failures have been beated to death and are practically meaningless. No one knows exactly why they fail and if it they will fail. So it's a case of buy one and take yout chances. If it concernd you, only buy one with a factory or extended warrenty that will explicitly cover it.

Maintenance is also a non-issue as far as I am concerned. It's not out of range considering the cost of the initial purchase. And when out of warrenty, or in if you prefer, you can do much of the work yourself. I do all the work on my RT myself and will do more when the LT's factory warrenty expires.

The rides are very very different. The LT is best on long trips or two-up. The RT will never be as good no matter how many farkles you add to it. But the RT shines in city traffic and good sporty roads. The RT can ride two-up, but it will just not be as comfortable or even as sporty. The RT when loaded feels heavier than the LT (just my opinion).

One thing that might surprise you is just how nimble the LT feels at speed. Any speed above 10 ~ 15 mph. It can be more challanging at low speeds, but using just the rear brake at low speeds can prevent most, if not all, dumps as most dumps occur when the front wheel twists under braking and you lose control of the 850 lbs motorcycle.

Mirrorsare another non-issue. If they break it's normal wear and tear. ANd you can buy the base plate without buying the whole assembly to repair it if needed. It jsut seems many riders don't want to pay for OEM parts and would rather cludge something together. That's not how I would do it. Why own a BMW and then cludge a fix to keep it together. FWIW, I paid $17 for mirror tethers for my RT & LT. My RT is 12 years old and the mirros still fit just as tight as my LT mirrors. YMMV depending on the quality of the roads you ride on and how you treat your motorcyles.

Seats are a personal issue and yo will just have to try them out yourself. Someone elses opinion is just that, their opinion. I had a day-long seat on my RT and repalced it with a stock seat. Much better ride in-city. If I were taking a long trip on the RT I might reconsider swapping seats, but for that I just take out the LT.

On the LT I bought a used Sargent seat (on it now) and a BMW comfort seat. The stock seat is good. Much better than the stock RT seat. It's comfortable, but a long ride might be something else. I found the comfort seat better, but the Sargent was best. When I get off the motorcycle now, I can't even tell I was on one. It's that good.

2006 Magnesium Black Metallic K1200LT (sold - sigh)
1996 Sinus (aka Cirrus) Blue Metallic R1100RT

post #4 of 4 Old Apr 28th, 2008, 9:48 pm

Go to your local BMW dealer and test ride both the LT and the RT..... See which one talks to you,, if you just gotta have one then you will know which one is best for you.........

If the posts on this board are going to bother you and make you loose sleep and fret over a BMW, I recommend getting the wing......Pete

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in