Rider Magazine - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old Apr 28th, 2008, 3:55 pm Thread Starter

Rider Magazine

Today I received a promotional mail from Rider Magazine with an interesting price for one year signature.
I wonder how good is that magazine.
Any members who read it can shine with your opinion?
and also important: any member who do not read it anymore, why?

Thank you

--------------------------------
Elton 'StrsOut' Marks '02 Silver-Member #337 (or 287?)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 LT - 62,394 miles as of 08/05/2007
2003 GS - 20,960 miles as of 07/11/2008
Loma Linda - CA
IBA#14,458 - AMA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old Apr 28th, 2008, 4:11 pm

Re: Rider Magazine

We have taken Rider for a number of years. Good articles (by real riders), reviews, gear reviews, etc. Cheap for what I get IMHO.

Jim Taylor
Minneapolis
07 Black LT "Dancing Heart", 03 Quantum "Ice"
02 Black LTC "Raven" (RIP 8/26/06)
08 Can-Am Spyder (hers) (#731)
post #3 of 23 Old Apr 28th, 2008, 4:16 pm

I have subscribed to three (non-club) motorcycle magazines over the years; one was Motorcyclist, which I think I got as gift and did not renew because it was like most of the national magazines in that it covered primarily sportbikes.

For years I kept Rider and Motorcycle Consumer News. These publications seem to focus on more mature riders and feature articles on all types of bikes, including tourers and sport tourers. About a year ago I let my subscription to Rider lapse. Not that I had a problem with the publication but I found less of interest than I used to. I think at some point with magazines you see the same information repackaged, and it seems sort of stale.

I am keeping MCN for now. By far the best motorcycle magazine for my tastes.

post #4 of 23 Old Apr 28th, 2008, 4:19 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Rider is a good magazine, with a wide range of touring and travel articles. They can be biased like all media, but seem less so than most of the other magazines out there.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #5 of 23 Old Apr 28th, 2008, 4:25 pm

I've had Rider for about a year.

I will probably let my membership slip and may come back. The magazine is "good enough", but, after their third call trying to get me to sign up for a "Lifetime" (mine or the magazine's?) membership for $300.00, but I get a "free" leather jacket, I had enough.

I'm looking for a different one, but in all honesty I can't say its a bad magazine.

I think it was something like $12.00.

2005 KLT "Old Blue"

Bruno the "Bugg"

Democracy will only exist until 51% of the population believes they can live off the other 49% .
post #6 of 23 Old Apr 28th, 2008, 4:48 pm

I have enjoyed it for years. The articles are well written and feather both places to travel and bikes and accessories. I would recommend it.
post #7 of 23 Old Apr 28th, 2008, 4:59 pm Thread Starter

thanks guys!
I will try it for one year and see it up close.

I still remember my last subscription of a motorcycle magazine, about one year ago. 20 buck and the magazine went chapter 11... never saw it again neither my 20. Was Riders something. can't remember the name, but the only thing I got from them was a letter from their attorney telling me that I'm not suppose to call then on that issue since they were under bankruptcy protection...

--------------------------------
Elton 'StrsOut' Marks '02 Silver-Member #337 (or 287?)

2002 LT - 62,394 miles as of 08/05/2007
2003 GS - 20,960 miles as of 07/11/2008
Loma Linda - CA
IBA#14,458 - AMA

post #8 of 23 Old Apr 28th, 2008, 6:26 pm

Rider Magazine is the one and only magazine that I have been receiving for almost 2 decades. Clement Salvadori's column "Road Tales" is reason enough to subscribe. That man is truly gifted.
post #9 of 23 Old Apr 28th, 2008, 6:51 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by joegottberg
The magazine is "good enough", but, after their third call trying to get me to sign up for a "Lifetime" (mine or the magazine's?) membership for $300.00, but I get a "free" leather jacket, I had enough.
Anytime I sign up for something I use Joe's phone number. Works like a charm!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #10 of 23 Old Apr 28th, 2008, 7:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
Anytime I sign up for something I use Joe's phone number. Works like a charm!
I just use his credit card number.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #11 of 23 Old Apr 28th, 2008, 7:19 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
I just use his credit card number.
Hey Joe!! can I have your credit card number!!! I like to get Riders Magazine

I get it and like it +1

BMW K1200GT 2008 Aventurin Silver Metallic (Atlas)
BMWMOA # 130458

HD FLSTN Softail Deluxe 2008 Suede Blue & V. Black(hers)
post #12 of 23 Old Apr 28th, 2008, 7:42 pm

Talking Re: Rider Magazine

Rider is one of the best out there as far as I am concerned. It is the only one that I subscribe to other than the BMWON. Like Ken said, all magazines are subject to influence from the manufacturers, but like him, I believe that Rider tries to be much more subjective in their reviews and articles. And they really have been the one magazine for the touring rider for years. all the others seem to focus on the sport bikes!

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #13 of 23 Old Apr 29th, 2008, 8:13 am

I have been with Rider since the early 80's. (Do you remember the 80's?) and also Motorcycle Consumer News since they were called Road Rider. Both are really good and after a while I might get tired of repeats but I cannot go without it.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #14 of 23 Old Apr 29th, 2008, 11:02 am

I've received just about all of the magazines at one point or the other over the years and Rider is the only one that I still get. I look forward to it every month, especially Clemente Salvatori.

Ray Rau
Brewster, NY
'99 LT - Champagne
post #15 of 23 Old Apr 29th, 2008, 7:44 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Post Re: Rider Magazine

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcarter
For years I kept Rider and Motorcycle Consumer News. These publications seem to focus on more mature riders and feature articles on all types of bikes, including tourers and sport tourers. About a year ago I let my subscription to Rider lapse. Not that I had a problem with the publication but I found less of interest than I used to. I think at some point with magazines you see the same information repackaged, and it seems sort of stale.

I am keeping MCN for now. By far the best motorcycle magazine for my tastes.
I agree about MCNews and Rider being the best by far over other mags, and I have subscribed to almost all of them sometime in the past 35 years. MCN would have gotten my top vote except for the article by LT "Sniper" Snyder blasting our web site a couple of months ago. (yes THIS web site) If there is no retraction, apology or explaination from them by my next issue I am canceling my 15 year-long subscription. Just can't stand them printing a bunch of half-truths or "mistatements" (lies!) and not being accountable for it.
Rider on the other hand, is full of great articles for the Sport-Touring/Touring motorcyclist and has been unbiased (as far as I know). Best of all they report/write professionally without having to resort to 4-letter adjectives and other "adult" language use. I can leave it on the table and not be embarrassed if my wife or daughter picks it up. That was not true with Motorcyclist. It was closer to "Easy Rider for Sportbike Squids" (IMHO).

Go with Rider, I've had if for over 10 years and it's a great magazine!

Doug

2001 Pacific Blue LT
1992 750 Nighthawk
1985 VF700S Sabre
1976 CB550F SS
1973 CB350 Four
1972 Yamaha 250
MOA #134470
post #16 of 23 Old Apr 29th, 2008, 8:39 pm

I enjoy Rider Mag, not into the sportbikes much. Good magazine IMO

Warm & Safe Heated Clothing Sale- Lowest Prices!!

Contact Me.

post #17 of 23 Old Apr 29th, 2008, 8:48 pm

I've been receiving Rider for almost 2 years, never subscribed to it either. Maybe someone actually loves me

It's a pretty good magazine if you like to look at all kinds of motorcycles.

Neil '00 K1200LT '08 KLR
"Far away, is far away...
Only if you don't go!!!"
post #18 of 23 Old May 2nd, 2008, 10:20 pm

I have subscribed for years and find that there is not as much repetition on themes as other mag. I have also done a number of trips based on the monthly "favorite rides" section and had a blast. Well worth the pittance they charge to subscribe.
post #19 of 23 Old May 3rd, 2008, 9:35 am

I did, at one time, subscribe to most of the major motorcycle magazines. Over time I have let all of them expire, except RoadRunner, Motorcycle Consumer and BMWON.

I ocassionally pick up a copy of Rider only to read what Clement Salvadori has written, and will read Peter Egan's and Kevin Cameron's Cycle World columns while standing at the magazine rack in a bookstore.

The major cycle magazines have become parodies of each other, with similar graphics, similar articles, similar projects, etc. Both seem to be highly advertising driven, ans seldom criticize any of the bikes they test. MCN is the best magazine for unbiased test reports because they aren't dependant on advertising revenue.

RoadRunner is a lush, brilliantly produced magazine with a focus on riding rather than motorcycle tests. They have "reviews", which are primarily sidebars to stories about motorcycle traveling. It may be the best magazine of its type, or any type for that matter, that one can buy.

Inside my 60 year old body is a 35 year old brain wondering what the hell happened.
2005 K1200LT
2005 Suzuki Burgman
BMWMOA #130574
post #20 of 23 Old May 3rd, 2008, 9:49 am
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Can you point me to more information on what they said about this Forum?

Not even the slightest chance of "stirring the pot" Just would like to see what was so "bad" or negative about this Forum.

I can only assume it is because it is so informative, and has so much documentation against party line, and keeps us from being "lambs at the slaughter" in our dealings with our Dealers?

The only Mag I get is BMWON, and was considering this mentioned magazine. However I will not support it if has an opinion about this Forum based on the exchange of information from real word riders, and solutions to issues that may go against their Sponsored Party Line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb550f
I agree about MCNews and Rider being the best by far over other mags, and I have subscribed to almost all of them sometime in the past 35 years. MCN would have gotten my top vote except for the article by LT "Sniper" Snyder blasting our web site a couple of months ago. (yes THIS web site) If there is no retraction, apology or explaination from them by my next issue I am canceling my 15 year-long subscription. Just can't stand them printing a bunch of half-truths or "mistatements" (lies!) and not being accountable for it.
Rider on the other hand, is full of great articles for the Sport-Touring/Touring motorcyclist and has been unbiased (as far as I know). Best of all they report/write professionally without having to resort to 4-letter adjectives and other "adult" language use. I can leave it on the table and not be embarrassed if my wife or daughter picks it up. That was not true with Motorcyclist. It was closer to "Easy Rider for Sportbike Squids" (IMHO).

Go with Rider, I've had if for over 10 years and it's a great magazine!

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #21 of 23 Old May 3rd, 2008, 9:57 am

And, what beats all magazines, is a subscription to this Forum. For $12 a year, you can help keep the lights on HERE!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #22 of 23 Old May 3rd, 2008, 10:37 am
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
And, what beats all magazines, is a subscription to this Forum. For $12 a year, you can help keep the lights on HERE!
+1 on that.

I probably pay 100.00 a year to Internet Forums

It is the best investment I have in returns. At my fingertips is relevant and seachable material on any interests specific to me

I still pay my Harley fee as I still enjoy reading about those guys spending 8-10K in 131" V-Twins, and pushing them into the 140/150 HP/TQ (rear wheel) ranges

If then can get the Revo motor into a Road Glide frame I will have to look very hard at what I ride. But I digress.

Support your Forums because they need it to stay up. ISP and Bandwidth is not cheap, not to mention Server/Storage, Backup, Anti Virus/Spam filtering and on and on.

BUT the most important thing is the PEOPLE who HOST these boards. It takes a lot of TIME and that is the one thing that we can NEVER get back.

Sorry for the Soap Box but I have seen far too many Forums " selling out" because Money or Time ran out and rather then shut the INFORMATION down, and have it lost, along with all the sweat equity, sold.

No issues on that for the Forum Host, but they really are UNDERRATED.

Looooooooong of it, Support your Forums with your $$$$

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #23 of 23 Old May 4th, 2008, 1:28 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Post Re: Rider Magazine

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAF
Can you point me to more information on what they said about this Forum?

Not even the slightest chance of "stirring the pot" Just would like to see what was so "bad" or negative about this Forum.

I can only assume it is because it is so informative, and has so much documentation against party line, and keeps us from being "lambs at the slaughter" in our dealings with our Dealers?

The only Mag I get is BMWON, and was considering this mentioned magazine. However I will not support it if has an opinion about this Forum based on the exchange of information from real word riders, and solutions to issues that may go against their Sponsored Party Line.
I don't know how to attach the link to this message, but under forums, look for this chain:
BMW Luxury Touring Community > Community > Chit Chat
The title of the post is "MCNews editorial mentioning this community"

Though I am a long time subscriber (soon to be ex-subscriber), MCNews has no more credibility in my mind. Their credibility was lost by questioning the integrity and motives of the good people operating this site. By approving that article and refusing to respond to emails from many of us here questioning the accuracy of said article, they have lost me as a customer. As far as stirring the pot is concerned, I think all of us need to stir that pot by flooding MCNews with letters of protest and emails until they are sick of hearing from us and issue a correction and apology...

Sorry for getting off-topic for this post, Rider is a great magazine. I read it cover to cover every month.

Doug

2001 Pacific Blue LT
1992 750 Nighthawk
1985 VF700S Sabre
1976 CB550F SS
1973 CB350 Four
1972 Yamaha 250
MOA #134470

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in