Advanced motorcycle class - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Apr 26th, 2008, 8:44 pm Thread Starter

Advanced motorcycle class

Today I woke up and found snow on the ground and my first thought was, oh crud, I got an advance motorcycle class today at 1. Well, at 1 it was 38 and the wind was blowing 20-30 mph. (can you say dress in layers)

I went to the class an only 4 people showed. It was really nice to get so much attention from the instructors. Well, if you haven't taken the advanced class I can't say how good it is. It really helps work on your slow speed basics. I thought I knew them pretty well but the practice and the instruction was really helped me gain confidence in my skills.

One of the guys at the class has taken it 8 times and learns something every time. We had a 1500 wing, 1800 wing and a Honda cruiser. We only had one person drop their bike. The wind caught him in a slow turn and he lost it. It was very interesting to do all the slow driving and tight turns with the wind. I almost lost it a couple times.

But I just want to recommend this for everyone. If you think your not a good parking lot driver this class will help. It will also help you learn some other safety techniques.

I was wondering if I could pass my license test with the lt and after the class I know I could. It is the best $50 I spent.

Tom Ress
Great White North
Minnesota
Canyon Red 2000

You have to grow up to have a mid-life crisis!!!!!

I could play with women or with cars, I find cars are cheaper and you can write a book about cars a guy would understand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Apr 27th, 2008, 12:20 am

Re: Advanced motorcycle class

Thanks for the post. I suspect that all LT drivers could benefit from low speed turn practice. An 840 lbs. bike is not especially well suited to it. But with the class makeup, no matter who lost it, it must have been a expensive day for one of the group.

Bill
post #3 of 9 Old Apr 27th, 2008, 7:35 am

I'm a chicken, I am trying to sign up for an advanced course next weekend. If I go I'm taking the GS then I'll try everything later on the LT. I will be with friends, and the only guy on a LT. Can't take the embarrassment of dropping it (numerous times) in front of buddies..

08 R1200GSA
04 K12LT (Sold)
97 R1100GS (Sold)
SS1000--IB # 32778
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 Old Apr 27th, 2008, 8:01 am
Mister Moto

I took the advanced rider course last weekend, our weather was somewhat better here in Indiana. It rained the entire day and was in the mid-50's, so there we were, all six of us in our rain gear having a great time! Everyone passed and I was the only one drop the bike...tough to do "the box" on an LT. The course was excellent, the instructors were very helpful and I would recommend it to any rider that has a desire to improve their skills.

>K-daug

aka: studio4design
'06 LT "Shamu"

post #5 of 9 Old Apr 27th, 2008, 1:20 pm

I have a 2001 LT.
The delinked brakes allows me to use the rear brake,
along with the throttle and clutch during low speed maneuvers.
Keep your head and eyes up and look at where you're going.
It takes practice to build up trust and confidence in your abilities and the bikes capabilities.

I've taken the MSF Experienced Rider Course,
both the MotoMark1 Precision Maneuvering and Strategic Rider Courses, and the NC Highway Patrol BikeSafe courses on my LT.

Not as helpful to take the courses on a bike
other than the bike you're trying to master.

Leaving for Larry Grodsky's Stayin' Safe course in a couple of weeks.
At 85,500 miles, my LT still has a lot of life left in it.,

Just a thought: I'd rather drop the bike working on improving my techniques in a controlled environment, than crashing the bike on the road because my abilities weren't up to the situation I was faced with.

Safe Travels.....
post #6 of 9 Old Apr 27th, 2008, 11:07 pm

Tom1200:

I have taken many courses on the bike I ride daily and believe it is to your advantage to use the bike you ride - whether you pass or not you will learn something. I have taken two ERCs in Charleston, SC, two Motormark1 courses in Durham, NC (one of these, when I left the hotel at 0730 in the morning, it was 17 deg. F - the little snowflake on the dash didn't go out until noon), a Ride-Like-A-Pro thing in Florida and the absolute best course so far was the street riding course at the BMW Performance Center in Spartenburg, SC.

LT Pilot:

What is Larry Grodsky's ride safe course? Never heard of Grodsky.

Steve
2006 R1200RT
post #7 of 9 Old Apr 27th, 2008, 11:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hendsv
What is Larry Grodsky's ride safe course? Never heard of Grodsky.
It's painful to comment. Here's a Google search for you.

He is woefully missed by the motorcycling community.
post #8 of 9 Old Apr 27th, 2008, 11:39 pm

Lawrence Grodsky's Stayin' Safe course.

http://www.stayinsafe.com/
post #9 of 9 Old Apr 28th, 2008, 7:54 am

This past November, four of us from the board, plus two other riders, took the ERC in Statesville, NC. 4 LT's plus the instructor, also a member here, was on an LT. Very good class. Had us activating ABS and dragging hard parts. Had the instructor not been on an LT, I would have been skeptical of being able to perform some of the maneuvers. He was good on that thing. Me, not so hot. Need more practice.

Lee
Y2K K1200 LT Canyon Red - Torn apart by a Bimmer 11-10-10. Sold to Saddleman to be reanimated.
2005 K1200 LT Ocean Blue
ATGATT
CCR 2009, CCR 2010, CCR 2012
IBA #39250
SS1000 - September 2009
BB1500 - September 2009
BMW MOA #167909

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in