Fast Parts? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 8:31 am Thread Starter

Fast Parts?

Plenty of threads on here about getting the best deal on parts, but does anyone know who generally gets them out the quickest?

I ordered a brake line for my LT from Chicago BMW on April 5; still no sign of it and no update since April 7 (process date). I did get a good price, and their website clearly states that most orders ship within 7-10 working days.

So this is not so much a gripe about how slow they are (I'm sure they're just waiting to get the part themselves - no doubt that's how they can offer the low prices). But if I need a repair part quickly (It's killing me to watch all the bikes out in the recent good weather), who's got parts in stock? I'll want to call to verify next time...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 11:52 pm

Re: Fast Parts?

At least you are ahead of me in the queue. I ordered throttle cables on April 7.
Still in processing mode
Not sure what that means...

2002 K1200LTC Ocean Blue
post #3 of 11 Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 3:45 am

I ordered a tool kit from Chicago BMW on 12 December 2007. It arrived at my house in Southern California on 8 January 2008.

post #4 of 11 Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 8:59 am Thread Starter

Question Re: Fast Parts?

Yikes!

My fault for not diagnosing the brake problem earlier, but I naively figured on a week tops for part delivery (I've only ordered maintenance parts so far). I could be in for a long wait by the sound of it...

I only saved about $12 vs. list price. A couple of trips to work on the bike would have netted me more in fuel savings.

So is this typical? Is there a source that has a decent inventory of parts on hand, or is this just the way it is? I'd pay more to have the part sooner.
post #5 of 11 Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 11:25 am

I get excellent results from Max BMW and pretty good ones form Bob's BMW though I seem to order more from Max because of their online fiche.

2006 Magnesium Black Metallic K1200LT (sold - sigh)
1996 Sinus (aka Cirrus) Blue Metallic R1100RT
post #6 of 11 Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 11:47 am

It does not hurt to call Chicago BMW and ask them the status of your order - to kind of let them know you are waiting on them. I have found that they move much quicker if you call them.

Lee Nowell
Black 01, LTC
BMWRA & MOA, AMA, IBA
post #7 of 11 Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 12:53 pm

Chicago is probably the slowest you can get. Only order from them when you have a month to wait. If you need the part promptly or timely looks elsewhere. There is nothing wrong with them if you don't mind s-l-o-w.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 11 Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 6:39 pm

same "sheat" with A&S here....

'10 1200 GSA -- Banana!!
'06 CRF450X -- Just trouble
BMWMOA #132301

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 11 Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 8:19 pm Thread Starter

Well, I guess there aren't many non-maintenance parts being ordered for the relatively small number of these bikes here, but you'd think they'd have a parts depot somewhere in North America from which to supply the dealerships. As repair parts go, a brake line ought to be an easy thing to come by.

Meh.
post #10 of 11 Old Apr 30th, 2008, 9:00 am

Thumbs up Re: Fast Parts?

I ordered throttle cables and the mod kit from Gateway BMW in St Louis Apr 23rd. They did not have them in stock but they sourced, procured, and had them on my doorstep the 28th. That includes a weekend. Courteous customer service as well. Prices were comparable to all the other ones I have seen listed for these parts. Good job Gateway.

Jerry
USAF Retired
BMWOA #80289
2009 R1200GSA
1985 K100 RT-Red
2002 K1200 LTC-Silver(SOLD)
post #11 of 11 Old Apr 30th, 2008, 9:50 am

I use two primary online parts sources.
Chicago BMW for price.
Max BMW for speed of service. (And M&Ms ) If you have ordered from Max BMW before, you know about the M&Ms. Max Stratton himself told me he gets more emails about the M&Ms than any other subject!)

I think Max carries a bigger inventory and their turn-around time for shipping is very fast. If they haven't had a part in stock I have always gotten a quick email to tell me and give me an estimated delivery time. They will also split ship so that stuff that is in stock won't be delayed for items not in stock.

Chicago BMW has suprised me sometimes with a quick delivery but wait times can seem to take forever sometimes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in