New Kawasaki Concours - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Apr 19th, 2008, 5:06 pm Thread Starter

New Kawasaki Concours

I stopped by the local Kawa dealer and looked at the new Concours 14; many what a nice bike. Looks and features are very similar to the RT. Thru the end of April they have them marked down 1G, down to $13 and change. If I were to be changing from the LT, that's what I'd seriously be thinking about.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Apr 19th, 2008, 5:30 pm

Re: New Kawasaki Concours

I was seriously interested in the concourse when I was looking for a new bike, but it was all vaporware at the time, and I had no idea when Kawasaki would actually have the bike ready, and ended up buying the K12GT. I want someone to buy one, post what a piece of crap it is, so I can sleep better at night. Go for it.

When a government takes over a people’s economic life it becomes absolute, and when it has become absolute it destroys the arts, the minds, the liberties and the meaning of the people it governs.
- Maxwell Anderson

Bob
2007 K1200GT
post #3 of 13 Old Apr 19th, 2008, 6:35 pm

Gawd I love mine - oh wait, never mind...

Ride On!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Goodyear, AZ
"Yeah but its a warm heat!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'13 SILVA K1600GTL

post #4 of 13 Old Apr 19th, 2008, 6:41 pm

Well the C-14 is not a piece of crap, but it is not very comfortable. I had a '02 Concours and was planning to buy the C-14, but after sitting on it and almost screaming in pain after a 5 minute sit (in riding position) I decided the C-14 was not for me. Bummed me out too. But then I read an article comparing the C-14, GT, ST 1300, and FJR and was surprised that the GT outperformed it. That started me on a whole new search.

If my wife had not of sat on an LT, I'd have a new RT in the garage (the GT was too uncomfortable 2-up and has no ammenties like the RT). Instead I have two used motorcycles (LT & RT) and couldn't be happier.

2006 Magnesium Black Metallic K1200LT (sold - sigh)
1996 Sinus (aka Cirrus) Blue Metallic R1100RT
post #5 of 13 Old Apr 19th, 2008, 9:51 pm

The Concours14 is far from being a piece of crap. It's really a great bike, but to me it falls short after riding a GT. Yeah, you can stuff to ALMOST bring on a par with the GT, but until they figure a way to add ESA, it ain't gonna touch the GT.

One other thing - call me a snob but, it's CONCOURS, not Concourse. Wanna drive a Connie owner nuts? Call it a Concourse!

'99K1200LT - "Bertha" - gone, but not forgotten!
'86 Concours - "Horse with no name" (under reconstructive surgery)
'06 K1200GT - "Road Rocket"
Marshall, Tx

post #6 of 13 Old Apr 20th, 2008, 1:06 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwsdad
One other thing - call me a snob but, it's CONCOURS, not Concourse. Wanna drive a Connie owner nuts? Call it a Concourse!
Well, at least it sounds the same when I say it.

When a government takes over a people’s economic life it becomes absolute, and when it has become absolute it destroys the arts, the minds, the liberties and the meaning of the people it governs.
- Maxwell Anderson

Bob
2007 K1200GT
post #7 of 13 Old Apr 20th, 2008, 2:11 pm

I bought one & love it. I had to ride it 1,700 miles home when I bought it & was surprised at how comfotable it was. I was expecting to have a hard time adjusting & I didn't. The only change I made was a larger windshield, sticking with the stock seat.
post #8 of 13 Old Apr 20th, 2008, 9:34 pm

If I could get one with cruise control, heat grips and seat, I strongly consider it.

Dick Wood
2014 R1200RTW Quartz Blue Metallic
Previous2008 Aventurin Silver Metallic K1200GT
Previous 2002 Toscana Green LTE
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

post #9 of 13 Old Apr 20th, 2008, 10:36 pm

Audiovox Cruise Control $107, heated grips about $50.
post #10 of 13 Old Apr 21st, 2008, 11:20 am

C14 , really nice ride BUT......

Why after waiting all this time to design such a cutting edge new sport touring ride (got most of it right) to then offer NO cruise or heated seat/grips and realatively poor range (5.8 gal tank and fairly low mpg)? Good thing they added the Kipass key thingy though Makes no sense.....mix in a fair amount of engine heat (not good down here in the great nation of TEXAS where its hot alot) and need for another winshield (not enough coverage).

Sure you can ADD cruise and heated grips (but they are never as good or as integrated as the BMW items ) as well as a new windscreen but then your $13800 Kawi has cost you several hundred , possibly $1K and several hours and headaches more. No real fix for those engine heat or range problems and dont even think about ESA. Any color you want as long as its an odd shade of silver.

Again , very nice bike ..... superb power, brakes, luggage, looks, shaft drive, tire pressure monitors. Not so good low speed sluggish handling, lack of range, engine heat, lack of weather coverage, and lack of proper amenities (even as options).

K GT still top of the heap for me in the sport touring arena ......
post #11 of 13 Old Apr 21st, 2008, 11:51 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shriker
C14 , really nice ride BUT......

Why after waiting all this time to design such a cutting edge new sport touring ride (got most of it right) to then offer NO cruise or heated seat/grips and realatively poor range (5.8 gal tank and fairly low mpg)? Good thing they added the Kipass key thingy though Makes no sense.....mix in a fair amount of engine heat (not good down here in the great nation of TEXAS where its hot alot) and need for another winshield (not enough coverage).

Sure you can ADD cruise and heated grips (but they are never as good or as integrated as the BMW items ) as well as a new windscreen but then your $13800 Kawi has cost you several hundred , possibly $1K and several hours and headaches more. No real fix for those engine heat or range problems and dont even think about ESA. Any color you want as long as its an odd shade of silver.

Again , very nice bike ..... superb power, brakes, luggage, looks, shaft drive, tire pressure monitors. Not so good low speed sluggish handling, lack of range, engine heat, lack of weather coverage, and lack of proper amenities (even as options).

K GT still top of the heap for me in the sport touring arena ......
Wait a sec ... what's the list price of a GT, fully equipped? I agree the electronics are better integrated on the GT, but I'm not so sure the price comparo pans out in the BMW's favor.
post #12 of 13 Old Apr 21st, 2008, 12:10 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalLT
Wait a sec ... what's the list price of a GT, fully equipped? I agree the electronics are better integrated on the GT, but I'm not so sure the price comparo pans out in the BMW's favor.
Buying brand, spanking new, you are correct. Darn near a $10K difference. BUT, if you shop around, you can find a good used GT for just a few $$$$ (~$2 - $3K) more and have the bike of your dreams.

But there are folks that love to or have to have a brand new bike.

Now, flip that around. Wait a year, maybe 2, and you'll be able to pick up a C14 for around $8K, probably less for the non-ABS.

'99K1200LT - "Bertha" - gone, but not forgotten!
'86 Concours - "Horse with no name" (under reconstructive surgery)
'06 K1200GT - "Road Rocket"
Marshall, Tx

post #13 of 13 Old Apr 21st, 2008, 12:12 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

I just did 5,500 miles in 5 days on my GT from SoCal to Florida, up through Tennessee, then back home. I can honestly say that I never once though about how much the bike cost, or how much I could have "saved" by buying something else. There is so much more to life than saving a buck or two.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in