MotoGirl Got Rear-ended by a Harley Guy... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old Apr 19th, 2008, 9:57 am Thread Starter

MotoGirl Got Rear-ended by a Harley Guy...

...but he didn't go down. (settle down fellas)

Gail was on her way to work yesterday, followed (too) closely by a kid on a motorcycle. Typical Orlando traffic, there's a light change, cars start stacking up and Gail realizes the guy behind isn't giving himself enough room. She yanks it to the left, but the Hardly Abletostopidson still glances off the right rear corner, finally geting it stopped somewhere up around her passenger side door. Gail gets out to check on the guy and his legs are shaking so bad he can barely hold the bike up. If she hadn't been aware of his position, this would have turned out much worse for him, and he knew it.

Hopefully this guy learns a) don't tailgate, b) to always give himself an out, and c) not to ride in the middle of the damn lane.

Bent the exhaust system and did a little damage to the bumper and quarter panel on her car. He had a bent highway peg, possibly bent ape hangers, but the rest of his damage would probably wash out.

Looking at the size of that crease in the quarter panel, I can't believe he didn't dump it.

Dave Hoogerland

'08 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
'02 K1200LTC "The Silver Snoopy" (gone but not forgotten)
'08 Can-Am Spyder "???"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old Apr 19th, 2008, 10:11 am

Re: MotoGirl Got Rear-ended by a Harley Guy...

We are taught overhere, to ride in the centre of a lane (command your lane)?

Regards
Terry
post #3 of 25 Old Apr 19th, 2008, 11:18 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejay
We are taught overhere, to ride in the centre of a lane (command your lane)?

Regards
Terry
Thats what I was taught, and it works! Always ride in a way that leaves lots of room around you. But a kid on a Harley might not spend a lot of time thinking about safe riding practices. Just look at what most of them wear...

Wolfgang

K1200LT 1999 Champaign SOLD
R1100RS 1994 Teal SOLD
R1150RT 2003 Blue (Sold)
R1100RT 1997 Blue

Pest, Budapest Hungary

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness."
Mark Twain

post #4 of 25 Old Apr 19th, 2008, 11:35 am Thread Starter

I was taught the slickest part of a lane approaching a stoplight is the middle, and that anything in the tire tracks will either be knocked out of the way, or flat by the time you get there.

Another story...
Gail and I were coming through Nashville a few years ago; it's 5 in the afternoon. Traffic is heavy (but moving pretty good) and there is a lost shovel laying length wise in the left lane. I saw it as it came out from under the truck I was following, and instantly validated what I was taught. It was in the middle of the lane, I was in the right hand tire track.

Dave Hoogerland

'08 Can-Am Spyder "???"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 25 Old Apr 19th, 2008, 2:57 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoog62
I was taught the slickest part of a lane approaching a stoplight is the middle, and that anything in the tire tracks will either be knocked out of the way, or flat by the time you get there.

Another story...
Gail and I were coming through Nashville a few years ago; it's 5 in the afternoon. Traffic is heavy (but moving pretty good) and there is a lost shovel laying length wise in the left lane. I saw it as it came out from under the truck I was following, and instantly validated what I was taught. It was in the middle of the lane, I was in the right hand tire track.
I was also taught not to ride in the center as it's the slickest part of the lane. This can be especially important in areas like Southern CA, where it doesn't rain for 9 months and the oil just builds. You don't want to get caught in the first good rain of the winter.

Glad Gail wasn't hurt, and that she was aware enough of the biker to make up for much of his failings. We all make mistakes, and when someone helps you not pay for them (at least not in full), I know I appreciate it.

When a government takes over a people’s economic life it becomes absolute, and when it has become absolute it destroys the arts, the minds, the liberties and the meaning of the people it governs.
- Maxwell Anderson

Bob
2007 K1200GT
post #6 of 25 Old Apr 19th, 2008, 3:19 pm

Dumb a$$, did you guys to a police report??????? And if you did, did the guy get a ticket?????

John
Florida
2004 BMW R1150R Black
Contact me 4 motor training 1&1
Expert witness in motorcycle crash reconstruction (Contact me)
post #7 of 25 Old Apr 19th, 2008, 5:35 pm Thread Starter

I'll let Gail answer that one...

Dave Hoogerland

'08 Can-Am Spyder "???"

post #8 of 25 Old Apr 19th, 2008, 6:28 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman587
Dumb a$$, did you guys to a police report??????? And if you did, did the guy get a ticket?????
No John I did not. When I pulled over and got out of my truck, and saw this boy (maybe 18), I saw both his legs shaking and my only concern was that he was O.K. Traffic in Orlando can be a bitch, especially around the mall where I work. I felt this kid had enough drama for one day. I hear another lecture coming!

Gail
Orlando Fl.
'04 Suzuki GS500F (F is for female) Sold!
'08 Can-Am Spyder (Araignée)

"If you want anything said ask a man, if you want anything done ask a woman." Margret Thatcher

post #9 of 25 Old Apr 19th, 2008, 6:39 pm Thread Starter

Women.....

Dave Hoogerland

'08 Can-Am Spyder "???"

post #10 of 25 Old Apr 19th, 2008, 6:49 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang
Just look at what most of them wear...
I was surprised to find he was wearing gloves, jacket and a full faced helmet.
Must have been his dad's bike. He will have some splainin' to do.

Gail
Orlando Fl.

"If you want anything said ask a man, if you want anything done ask a woman." Margret Thatcher

post #11 of 25 Old Apr 20th, 2008, 1:12 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoGirl
No John I did not. When I pulled over and got out of my truck, and saw this boy (maybe 18), I saw both his legs shaking and my only concern was that he was O.K. Traffic in Orlando can be a bitch, especially around the mall where I work. I felt this kid had enough drama for one day. I hear another lecture coming!
Lessons really can be learned without lining the state's coffers. You did him a favor Gail, and I'm sure he appreciates it. I think it shows you're a better person, but I'm not a statist.

When a government takes over a people’s economic life it becomes absolute, and when it has become absolute it destroys the arts, the minds, the liberties and the meaning of the people it governs.
- Maxwell Anderson

Bob
2007 K1200GT
post #12 of 25 Old Apr 20th, 2008, 6:30 am

You're my new hero,Moto Girl.I'm sure that kid will remember the lesson he learned in a positive way because of your actions.

Jeff Bokusky

Shoreview ,Mn.

2001 K1200LT ---
1973 Harley FLH 96 c.i.
1948 Harley EL 88 c.i.
1985 kawasaki KX250
1993 honda XR 200--
1978 Triumph Bonneville
post #13 of 25 Old Apr 20th, 2008, 8:01 am
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

I was always told to ride a 1/3 off the double yellow line. I was told this for two reasons.

First is you are visible to the car in front in the side view and rear view mirror.

And second you are then in the best place as far as road debris and exhaust contaminates.

Off course at 51 I learned to drive in a different era as a lot of the folks here. We did yield, we did move over for merging traffic, we could leave safe following distance without some idiot in the next lane thinking that gap was for him to use, we looked ahead not at the guys bumper in front of us, truckers were our friends.

I think you did the kid a great kindness that if he continues to ride will impact him more than any other, short of going down completely. If you are correct and he snook Dad's bike out, he will suffer dearly there also.

I think you made an impact on a young rider that will make him a great older driver.

I do hope you at least exchanged information though to satisfy your insurance. I would think Dad will pay your bill out of pocket, and out of his son's hide.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #14 of 25 Old Apr 20th, 2008, 8:18 am

I ride where it works. Sometimes it's right next to the line for visibility, other times it's all the way over to the edge of the road, sometimes it's in the middle. A fluid situation depending on circumstances.

Gail, you're a doll. You should have just kicked his ass. If he's anythang like my kid's, once he shook off the shock and had a few beers, he'll be bragging to his friends how he got over on this beyotch.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #15 of 25 Old Apr 20th, 2008, 8:31 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejay
We are taught over here, to ride in the centre of a lane (command your lane)?

Regards
Terry
First off glad to see the Kid got away with only an costly lesson and nothing worse. Never want to see anyone get hurt no matter what they ride or wear.

I was taught to ride in the left of the lane then the right then the middle as last resort. In UK guess it would be the same because the steering wheel is on the wrong side

Reasons:

Left lane:
Cagers are used to looking for people/drivers in the left lane, more specifically their heads/faces and are more likely to see yours.

Center lane:
Last resort because of debris Oil, anti freeze, rocks nuts bolts ect.

Ride Safe

Rich Kirker
2002 LTC Pacific Blue
Caliper Moto Lights, Hyper light brake lights, Spiegler brake lines, Ride West side markers, Grip puppies, HyperPro Springs and CA HID Kit.
BMWMOA #124306
2009 Honda Shadow (Wife's)
Blue & Pearl
"Well It’s not rocket science but absolutely a nightmare. At the end of the day you had a fairly unique situation that I personally at this moment in time could see me having as well 24/7. With all due respect, it shouldn’t of happened."

Last edited by DaveDragon; Apr 26th, 2008 at 5:50 pm.
post #16 of 25 Old Apr 20th, 2008, 3:28 pm

Thanks guys I felt it was the right thing to do. Dave would of been happier if I would gotten his info, but the important thing is he didn't get hurt. No matter what he says to his buddies, he knows the truth.

Gail
Orlando Fl.

post #17 of 25 Old Apr 20th, 2008, 4:44 pm

Thumbs up Re: MotoGirl Got Rear-ended by a Harley Guy...

Gail,
I don't know you, but short of getting his info, you show you have a heart and you must be a mighty fine young lady. 3 cheers for you..

As for the opinions as to where to ride in a lane, I suggest we all take the safety course and then make the decision of where to ride ourselves. But don't tell others where they should ride. ALL situations are different.

I'm still in favor of a bike dealer giving each buyer at least a phone # for the course or some info about it. I didn't learn about the course until after I bought my first bike. I just happened to ask some people the right questions one day just visiting.

I know for me , taking the course was the best money I've spent in a good many years. It even made a better car/van driver out of me. Keeping one's COOL, is sure important. Gail should be a good example for all of us.

====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====
post #18 of 25 Old Apr 20th, 2008, 5:03 pm

Quote:
Not a lecture, maybe a little one. I guess I deal with shit head all day and for some reason I have worked a crash, one or two in the last 20 years. I have worked them were, I was told, not a problem "we" worked it between ourselves, only to be called and the stories had changed.

I am one that will "always" get a police report. Just me and I have seen people's story change, and then you have to defend "why" you did not call police, are you hiding something??????????? etc................

Hopefully this did learn his lesson, but he could also learn his lesson with a police report and a ticket for him to remember..............

What I have done in the passed as a LEO working a wreck, but did not want to write a ticket is give the the two vehicles involved a driver exchange and tell the driver at fault that he needs to fix the other vehicle, and if he does not, I will then do a police report and a must issue a ticket. Never hear another thing.

John
Florida
2004 BMW R1150R Black
Contact me 4 motor training 1&1
Expert witness in motorcycle crash reconstruction (Contact me)
post #19 of 25 Old Apr 20th, 2008, 5:36 pm
KIC

Gail,

Good deal. Hopefully, he not only learned his riding lesson, but hopefully he also will learn a lesson on being a class act and maybe someday he will "pay it forward" and be nice to some one else who makes a mistake.

PROUD FATHER OF A MILITARY DAUGHTER !.
She's for sale
SOLD 7-19-08 [url]

There are those who ride BMW's.. and those who wish they did.

Ron's R11/1 Vergasser's - 1st Wingman

Sophmore : BMWLT - University of Luxury Touring Education

2000 K1200LTC Champagne SOLD 7-08
2006 KLR 650 - RED- The fast dual sport color !
2002 TW 200 - White/Blue - #1,The wife's CRF replacement.
2002 TW 200 - WhiteBlue - #2, My matching toy
2001 XT 225 - White/Blue - Sold 7/08
92 K75S Red and fast (sadly gone)

Yamaha YZ 250 for the dirt ( still good use for a smokin' 2-stroke !) In critical care 4/08
Honda CRF 230F - Wifey's dirt fun. (Sold)
Many Honda 750 F's (May they Rest In Peace)
post #20 of 25 Old Apr 20th, 2008, 5:45 pm

Quote:
NEVER, NEVER leave the scene of an accident WITHOUT a police report being filed!

You are not doing anyone any favors by "letting" him go.

He will probably not learn his lesson and he will continue to be a nuisance to society.

Glad he was ok and you were ok.

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #21 of 25 Old Apr 20th, 2008, 6:58 pm
Super Moderator

Sorry to hear about the mishap, but glad everyone came out pretty much unscathed, expect for the vehicles, I guess. I appreciate the good will towards the guy, but I would have gotten a police report, if for no other reason than to document who did what and who was at fault. Yes, it a PITA and makes his life more painful, but it also protects you from him coming back later saying you backed into him and need to pay for all of his bike damage, and injuries, and mental anguish from almost being flattened by this crazed chick in a cage who hates bikers. This kind of crap happens all too frequently and you end up going round and round with it if it does.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #22 of 25 Old Apr 20th, 2008, 7:09 pm

David,
I got that same lecture from my Dave.

Gail
Orlando Fl.

post #23 of 25 Old Apr 21st, 2008, 8:05 am

It's all water over the damn at this point. It's not what I would've done, but so what. If we're going to start questioning Gail's decisions at this point . . .
post #24 of 25 Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 12:15 am
Super Moderator

Quote:
David,
I got that same lecture from my Dave.
Damn, next thing you know you'll tell me we both like riding bikes and the same kind of beer.

Oh crap...

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #25 of 25 Old Apr 26th, 2008, 5:23 pm
THE Democracy Doctor

Location: We LOVE illegals and Socialists, Sunny, Southern Kommyfornia,
MotoGirl Got Rear-ended by a Harley Guy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkpr1998
NEVER, NEVER leave the scene of an accident WITHOUT a police report being filed!....
In many jurisdictions, ocifers DO NOT take reports for non-injury T/C's.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." (Some really OLD friggin' White dude who couldn't have possibly known what he was talking about!) WARNING: Official HATE speech!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in