Gas-alcohol effecting mileage - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Apr 19th, 2008, 7:52 am Thread Starter

Gas-alcohol effecting mileage

I'm wondering if my mileage has gone down lately because of the fact that so many local stations are now substituting gas-alcohol for pure gas. Seems like I read that the burn of pure gas compared to gas-alcohol is about 85% of the efficiency? That might explain why my mileage seems to have slipped from about 45 to 41.

I haven't really made any detailed measurements and I'm only basing this on fly by the seat observations of my on-board computer. Seems I fill up a little more often. Maybe it could be the O2 Sensor?

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Apr 19th, 2008, 8:43 am

Re: Gas-alcohol effecting mileage

Yup, that could be it. Ethanol through corn is a lose, lose situation. I could probably tack another lose on there for all the beef and swine farmers out there that are going bankrupt as I type.

Neil '00 K1200LT '08 KLR
"Far away, is far away...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Only if you don't go!!!"
post #3 of 7 Old Apr 19th, 2008, 9:06 am

I noticed that when I switched to Shell at Santa Fe NM, on the way back to Nebraska from Escondido, CA, my mileage went from around 45 to 50.1 in three tank fills. There were no signs on the premium pumps about using ethanol at the Shell stations like there were at other brands. Maybe the higher elevation may have been a factor also.
little_jake

post #4 of 7 Old Apr 19th, 2008, 9:10 am

I also get the best mileage from Shell.
Chevron is second best.
Although in the winter months, in some states, Shell adds ethanol and the mileage goes down. (some stations have a sign indicating what months)

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 Old Apr 19th, 2008, 10:37 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandiver
I'm wondering if my mileage has gone down lately because of the fact that so many local stations are now substituting gas-alcohol for pure gas. Seems like I read that the burn of pure gas compared to gas-alcohol is about 85% of the efficiency? That might explain why my mileage seems to have slipped from about 45 to 41.

I haven't really made any detailed measurements and I'm only basing this on fly by the seat observations of my on-board computer. Seems I fill up a little more often. Maybe it could be the O2 Sensor?

Definitely. Pure gasoline has about 125000 BTU/gallon where ethanol is around 75000. So at 10% ethanol (125000X.9) + (75000X.1) = 120000/125000 = .96

You're losing a bit more mileage than the math suggests, but the above is a big chunk of the difference. Remember, government coffers are filled by the taxes per gallon. So the last thing they want is for us to start buying less fuel. Gotta make up the difference in extra mileage being attained on cars somehow. The ethanol energy policy makes absolutuletly no thermodynamic sense. It takes more combined energy to produce than it contains.

Corn and grain were put on this spinning rock to eat (fuel for organisms), not for mechanized transport fuel. Now the costs for food are soaring, but that was the whole idea you know. Well, at least our government isn't as stupid as others (China's cultural revolution) where millions starved due to official policy blunders. But I still often wonder how far the boys in DC are willing to push their luck with their corporate/Wall St. payoffs. At $6 gas and $10 milk , I think some folk will be planning to get all "Mussolini" on their buttocks.
post #6 of 7 Old Apr 19th, 2008, 8:41 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofitel505
So the last thing they want is for us to start buying less fuel. ... It takes more combined energy to produce than it contains.
Conspiracy! Conspiracy!

Doug
'05 K1200LT,
My dog is very selective where he will pee, yet he will poop anywhere. In that regard; we couldnít be more different.
post #7 of 7 Old Apr 19th, 2008, 9:44 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandiver

I see a real difference when I get the 10% stuff in Delaware vs the gas in MD. About 4 mpg less on the gasohol. Farmers have a real challenge trying to feed the world, let alone our tanks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in