BMW Zumo - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Apr 18th, 2008, 10:02 am Thread Starter

BMW Zumo

I realize that this has, probably, been discussed before, but my stupidity of things electrical is boundless. Anyway, my RT came with the BMW Zumo. My bike doesn't have a radio or prewired for one. As I was riding to work this morning, I was looking at the Zumo and I thought, why couldn't I just plug in a set of earphones directly into the Zumo ? But, upon closer inspection, I can't find any place to plug in earphones on the unit itself, or the cradle it sits in. Ideally, what I would like is to have a set of helmet speakers (Anyone know of a really good set ?) and have music from the Zumo go into those speakers. How can I achieve this ? Also, my ears must be overly sensitive as earbuds are very uncomfortable for me, that is why I would rather have helmet speakers. I hate not having music on my bike (I last came from an LT), and I regret not holding out until my dealer had an RT with the stereo. Thanks for any assistance you guys might give me.

Roy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Apr 18th, 2008, 10:21 am

Re: BMW Zumo

Look on the left side of the cradle. There is a rubber strip with a screw in the middle. Pull up the lower side and you'll see a standard 1/8" (3.5mm) audio jack. Headphones or ear buds will plug right in.

I have an Autocom headset so I have not used in-ear speakers on the bike. Lots of list members swear by them, though. I'd think the molded type would be the most comfortable.
post #3 of 7 Old Apr 18th, 2008, 1:27 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal
Also, my ears must be overly sensitive as earbuds are very uncomfortable for me, that is why I would rather have helmet speakers.
There is another good reason for choosing helmet speakers. Introducing a transducer (earbud) into the ear canal is excellent in terms of sound efficiency, fidelity and stereo separation. The down side when wearing them, though, is that extraneous sounds, such as engine noise, traffic noise, speech, etc, are heavily attenuated. Being unable to hear what is going on around you could be a safety issue.

post #4 of 7 Old Apr 18th, 2008, 2:14 pm

One solution is to purchase an intercom system and pipe the music through that. If I were outfitting a bike that lacked an onboard stereo, I would opt for the top of the line Autocom that has the automatic volume control. There are probably other brands with this feature.

If you don't want to spring for an intercom just to get music to your helmet, I have a pair of helmet speakers at home that I used with my first K-Bike. Send me a PM with your mailing address if you want to give them a try.

The latest Aerostich catalog had a couple of helmet speakers in it, too. Here's a link: http://www.aerostich.com/product.php...cat=484&page=1

Last edited by wcarter; Apr 18th, 2008 at 4:10 pm.
post #5 of 7 Old Apr 19th, 2008, 10:19 am

My Zumo 550 is bluetooth capable. I am buying a bluetooth headset made for motorbikes and am going to use that set up.

Keep your booger picker off the bang switch, until you want a loud noise. DVC
post #6 of 7 Old Apr 19th, 2008, 10:53 am

You can use Bluetooth but I think your stereo will be mono, not stereo. If you have XM radio, I don't think it will work over Bluetooth but I could be wrong.

If you have a Zumo, or are interested in one, check out www.zumoforums.com. It is to Zumo what this site is to the LT.
post #7 of 7 Old Apr 20th, 2008, 8:32 am

Carter is correct... Mono Bluetooth only and no BT XM.

As for the ear bud wires, not entirely sure the BMW mount is the same as the Garmin mount, thus maybe no Audio Out on the left side under the rubber cover.

Numerous BMW Zumo people over at the Zumo Forums.. see you over there

2014 R1200RT WC

“As Woody Guthrie says, ‘Left wing, right wing, chicken wing.’I keep my mind open. Whatever you believe, it’s all a mystery in the end.”

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in