I almost got an 05 Wing with 3200 miles for $7K! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old Apr 17th, 2008, 6:18 pm Thread Starter

I almost got an 05 Wing with 3200 miles for $7K!

REALLY!

Here's what the seller told me from a Craig's List post:

i have the bike as a result of a divorce from my husband and i don't have a driver license and so no use of it, the bike has a clean title and is impecable as well as optical and in working condition, so tell me how can i be of your assistence and i will get back to you asap, unfortunatelly i am now in Mc Henry, MD where i have relocated and got a better job to start over again, but shipping the bike for testing and checking will not be a problem as i would like to involve ebay motors in this deal so we can both benfit of their safety that they provide for both seller and buyer, the bike is here in cali and it is in perfect condition you will convince yourself of that once you will view it and test drive it, anyway i won't be in possesion of the funds untill you agree to buy it and give ebay motors the green light to transfer me the money, they will act as a third party and hold the cash in safe keeping untill you test the bike and then if you are ok with keeping it i will receive the money if not you will keep your money and return the bike, the border will not be a problem because i will shipp it through DAS express and there will be no problem, the bike will be insured and i will take care of insurance and handling, to be sure it gets in proper shape to you for testing and won't even get scratched. if you are interested let me know your name and full shipping adress so i can forward them to ebay motors and when you receive the invoice read the instructions carefully and let me know if you want to move forward the title is clean and will arrive along with the vehicle for inspection. my sincerest and best regards !

This may set a Guiness record for the longest ever run-on sentence!

I have a weak spot for divorcees - poor gal is just trying to get a fresh start, but I think she is confused with her current location.

Should I buy it this way or just cut to the chase and send her the money by Western Union?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old Apr 17th, 2008, 6:37 pm
Cooler on the east coast!!!

Re: I almost got an 05 Wing with 3200 miles for $7K!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
REALLY!

i have the bike as a result of a divorce from my husband and i don't have a driver license and so no use of it, the bike has a clean title and is impecable as well as optical and in working condition, so tell me how can i be of your assistence and i will get back to you asap, unfortunatelly i am now in Mc Henry, MD where i have relocated and got a better job to start over again, but shipping the bike for testing and checking will not be a problem as i would like to involve ebay motors in this deal so we can both benfit of their safety that they provide for both seller and buyer, the bike is here in cali and it is in perfect condition you will convince yourself of that once you will view it and test drive it, anyway i won't be in possesion of the funds untill you agree to buy it and give ebay motors the green light to transfer me the money, they will act as a third party and hold the cash in safe keeping untill you test the bike and then if you are ok with keeping it i will receive the money if not you will keep your money and return the bike, the border will not be a problem because i will shipp it through DAS express and there will be no problem, the bike will be insured and i will take care of insurance and handling, to be sure it gets in proper shape to you for testing and won't even get scratched. if you are interested let me know your name and full shipping adress so i can forward them to ebay motors and when you receive the invoice read the instructions carefully and let me know if you want to move forward the title is clean and will arrive along with the vehicle for inspection. my sincerest and best regards !

I have a weak spot for divorcees - poor gal is just trying to get a fresh start, but I think she is confused with her current location.

Should I buy it this way or just cut to the chase and send her the money by Western Union?

I smell fish!

G-Glove
2003 Silver LTC
post #3 of 25 Old Apr 17th, 2008, 6:53 pm

Jude sink bike now dees guise would find someone that could translate their BS into proper English. All the misspelling and who refers to California as cali or do they mean Santiago de Cali in Columbia?

Bob Morrow #4204
2014 K1600GTLE "Firefly" GTL 4 Two
2002 K1200LTE "Green Hornet" LT 4 Two (history)
"Kyrie Eleison down the road that I must travel"

post #4 of 25 Old Apr 17th, 2008, 7:00 pm

Just go ahead and send the money to the PO Box in S.D. that goes to MD and the bike is in CA shipped through TX. Fish is right.

"BONES" <///><
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #5 of 25 Old Apr 17th, 2008, 9:24 pm

Talking Re: I almost got an 05 Wing with 3200 miles for $7K!

Never EVER wire anyone money.

Sounded pretty fishy to me as well.

Better to move on!

Shucks, it might not even be her bike.

I sell on ebay and while trying to sell a bike( I got no bids) a couple years ago, someone pretended to be me and sold the bike off ebay and told the guy he'd meet him in Des Moines with the bike if he'd wire him the money. He wired the guy the money but he didn't show up with the bike in Des Moines. I got a call from the sherriff of the town the buyer was from and he asked me if I still had the bike. I said yes and he then told me the above story. Darned crooks. I don't see how they sleep at night! I never heard if they caught the guy or not. Sure hope so!

====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====
post #6 of 25 Old Apr 17th, 2008, 9:25 pm

What's remarkable is that some poor sap will do it...

Wade

99 K-1200LT
82 Yamaha Virago (Girl of my youth)

"No one knows as much as all of us do." --General George Patton

post #7 of 25 Old Apr 17th, 2008, 9:41 pm

Two weeks ago I flew in to Florida. GOt my second LT and rode back to Arizona 2300 miles. You can do the same if she is real.

Quote:
REALLY!

Matt Kas

13 Triumph Trophy SE Lunar Silver
12 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive Pearl White

Laguna Niguel, Southern California (South Orange County)
"Riding Year around"

post #8 of 25 Old Apr 17th, 2008, 9:50 pm
BMW Guru

I look at all the car and motorcycle adds on Craigs list Sacramento daily. I can spot a scam add a mile away. I see at least 20 a day. What's sad is there must be people falling for them or they wouldn't keep at it.

Here's the latest one I heard about.

Supposed buyer from British Columbia wants to buy an inexpensive item on CL from US seller. Makes a deal and sends a $700 check. The next day two more checks arrive for the same amout??

Seller emails the scammer from "Cananda" and is told, so sorry about that, my secretary was supposed to send those to my daughter who is away at college to pay her rent. Would you mind sending her the money via Western Union? You know the rest...

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

post #9 of 25 Old Apr 18th, 2008, 3:13 am

Definately a scam!

Look at the text, she says she is in MD but then she say it is "here" in cali, which means she is at both places!

Read the text and analyze it and you will find many things that does not add up.

Stay clear!
post #10 of 25 Old Apr 18th, 2008, 7:20 am

There was a guy here at work who bought a BEAUTIFUL Ninja on ebay. Great miles, great price, suposed repo, etc. Put money in escrow fund til bike gets there, etc. I told him up front it sounded too good to be tru and he better be careful. But he did it anyway. $3500 into a fake escrow. These scams are all over and there are ppl that will fall for them.

I found a good deal on an LT on ebay in SC. My buddy and I got to investigating and emailing and figured out pretty quick it was a scam for sure. The broken English was first clue. Bike pic was taken in front of a subdevelopment construction site. Too many things and once my buddy emailed about the money, it pretty much went how all these things go. We reported it to ebay and it was gone in a few hours.

Buyer beware!!!! But Ron, I think you should help this poor lass out of her jam.

Randy
post #11 of 25 Old Apr 18th, 2008, 8:30 am

About a year ago I was trying to buy a K12GT and I spotted this nice one on ebay in New England... great photo and write up. Price was as you would expect.

Then I spotted the same photo on a Craigslist posting from Florida. Same photo, same write up, much lower price, different contact information.

I found the email of the owner on ebay and asked him the Florida deal was his. He never heard of it, and had not been to Florida in 10 years... The CL listing disappeared in about a week.

2014 R1200RT WC

“As Woody Guthrie says, ‘Left wing, right wing, chicken wing.’I keep my mind open. Whatever you believe, it’s all a mystery in the end.”
post #12 of 25 Old Apr 18th, 2008, 8:52 am

Talking Re: I almost got an 05 Wing with 3200 miles for $7K!

Ask if you can send a check for $15,000 and if they can wire the excess back to you. I think I remember someone on here that was collecting fake checks. I'm sure they would lend you a check.

Mike in Pittsburgh

2000 K1200LT Canyon Red
1983 Honda GL650I Silverwing Interstate
post #13 of 25 Old Apr 18th, 2008, 4:43 pm

I got a few of those fake checks. Trying to sell a Harley 1200 several years ago. Checks looked pretty good too.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #14 of 25 Old Apr 19th, 2008, 7:11 am

The same bike appeared in Craig's List in central Texas. A friend replied to the ad and received the same text in an E mail.

We looked at most of the Texas cities and it was only posted here. We thought there might have been a typo in the ad untill he got the classic scam E mail.
post #15 of 25 Old Apr 19th, 2008, 8:35 am

I posted up above about noticing the photo hijack of the K1200...but

In a different ad, also on Craig's List, I found a really nice K1200GT supposedly in bonded storage in Seattle. Long B.S. filed story but the poor guy had been transfered and all he wanted to sell the bike and move on... yeah right.

Just send a down payment to the broker/attorney and he would release the title. I offered to pay cash money if he would show me the bike and the title in person. He agreed but over a couple of weeks, one excuse after another, and obviously, he just stopped corresponding.

I knew it was bogus from the start, but just wanted to push his buttons and waste his time.

I hope the Nigerians never find out about motorcycles.

2014 R1200RT WC

“As Woody Guthrie says, ‘Left wing, right wing, chicken wing.’I keep my mind open. Whatever you believe, it’s all a mystery in the end.”
post #16 of 25 Old Apr 19th, 2008, 10:37 am

The low price triggers a scam ad when I read it. You'd think they'd learn to be better at their trade

Warm & Safe Heated Clothing Sale- Lowest Prices!!

Contact Me.

post #17 of 25 Old Apr 19th, 2008, 12:23 pm
BMW Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopz
I hope the Nigerians never find out about motorcycles.

Who did you think you were talking too? The Nigerians are all over the motorcycle thing...

If you want to reall all about this stuff check out this forum -

http://www.419eater.com/

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

post #18 of 25 Old Apr 19th, 2008, 2:28 pm
BMW Guru

I responded to an obvious scam add yesterday on CL. Here's the response. Fing Assholes...

Hello and sorry for my delay,
I'm SGT Brian Michaels. This Toyota Celica GTS is in perfect working condition. This vehicle engine runs very, very smooth. No electrical problems on this beauty. This detailed vehicle makes the exterior look like it just came off the assembly line. The car has only 74k original miles. VIN Number: JTDDY38T2Y0018991
The car is equipped with leather seats, power windows, power mirrors, power sunroof, cruise control, AM/FM/CD/Casette, A/C, and much more. It was never involved in any accident, not even minor ones. The body and paint are great. The interior is super clean, mechanically, it runs like a cat on carpet.
Here are the pics of the car: http://usera.imagecave.com/celicared/

As I know that my current situation is pretty special I want the deal closed only through eBay's Buyer Protection Program in order for you to be 100% protected. You will make the payment to eBay and they will hold the money until you receive the car. ONLY AFTER you receive the car and you inspect it(for 10 days) eBay will release the payment to me; in this way we are both protected. Anyway i am sure that if you will don`t be satisfied about the car i will surely find another buyer in your area and there will be no need for you to ship the car back. I am located in London, United Kingdom and I was sent here to improve the military relationships between USA and UK. Two months ago, my wife moved here with me and brought the car with her, but now we have to sell it back in the United States because we can't register it here; it has US specs and everything, and registering it here in Europe will take for ever. My final price on it is 2,900 USD. If you will take it for this price, I am willing to handle the shipping. It will be shipped from here by plane with US Air Military Cargo so it will not cost me anything. You will get it to the nearest airport in your area and then it will be trucked forward to your place. You will receive the car in about 3 days. Please get back to me asap if you decide to buy, and include in your e-mail your full name and address where you want it shipped so I can start the deal with eBay. You will receive all the transaction payment and shipping details from them.
Best Regards,
Brian and Grace Michaels

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

post #19 of 25 Old Apr 19th, 2008, 3:10 pm Thread Starter

"I am located in London, United Kingdom and I was sent here to improve the military relationships between USA and UK."

Geez, now they're pissed at us too!

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #20 of 25 Old Apr 20th, 2008, 2:57 am
vvk

Talking Longest run-on sentence hijack

Quote:
REALLY! This may set a Guiness record for the longest ever run-on sentence!
Ehm, have you ever read Stream of Consciousness Ulysses by the Irish writer James Joyce?

Quote from Wikipedia: Molly Bloom's soliloquy is presented in the eighteenth, and final, chapter of James Joyce's novel Ulysses. It is a compilation of the thoughts of Molly Bloom, the concert-singing wife of advertising agent Leopold Bloom, whose wanderings around Dublin are followed in much of the book. Molly's physicality is often contrasted with the intellectualism of the male characters, and of Stephen Dedalus in particular.

AND confusing to say the least

Miles of smiles of miles of smiles of...
The hardest thing to do on a K1200LT is riding it home.

Vic
Booze Brother #1
Gandalf Grau
The Netherlands
post #21 of 25 Old Apr 20th, 2008, 9:14 am Thread Starter

Re: Longest run-on sentence hijack

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvk
Ehm, have you ever read Stream of Consciousness Ulysses by the Irish writer James Joyce?

Quote from Wikipedia: Molly Bloom's soliloquy is presented in the eighteenth, and final, chapter of James Joyce's novel Ulysses. It is a compilation of the thoughts of Molly Bloom, the concert-singing wife of advertising agent Leopold Bloom, whose wanderings around Dublin are followed in much of the book. Molly's physicality is often contrasted with the intellectualism of the male characters, and of Stephen Dedalus in particular.

AND confusing to say the least
No, but it sounds like great bedtime reading!

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #22 of 25 Old Apr 20th, 2008, 11:09 pm
BMW Guru

Today's response -

Shipping will take 3 days.
Here is how it works:
1. First of all I will need the following details from you: full name, shipping address and telephone number.
2. After I will receive the details from you, I will forward them to eBay.
3. After they will process your info, they will send us both invoices (email forms).
4. After you will make the payment in an eBay trust fund account and confirm it to them they will contact me and I will ship the car to you. After you receive the car you will have 10 days to test, verify and do whatever you need to the car. If you will buy, then I will receive the payment details from eBay so that I can pick up the money.
5. If the car is not as I told you or have some problems, or is not as described, they will refund you 100%. There is no risk in this deal. I don't touch your money until you receive and inspect the car. The transaction is simple so everything should go as I planed. If you will decide that you will not buy the car there will be no need to ship it back because I will surely find a buyer in your area.

Thanks in advance!

Three days from England. Thats one fast boat!!

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

post #23 of 25 Old Apr 21st, 2008, 1:14 am
Old Dawg

I always like telling the scammer I have someone in the their area that will come by and inspect the car so please give me an address, a cell phone number and a time for the inspection.

Scott
Sacramento CA
HDDC Posse

''03 Ducati ST4S with ABS - '12 KTM 500EXC - '19 BMW GS/A
(Jessica Focker's) '15 BMW S1000RR - '17 KTM 350EXC-F - '09 Yamaha XT250

Some of the most asinine things people do are typically preceded by the two words "Watch this."
post #24 of 25 Old Apr 21st, 2008, 9:21 am

I keep winning the UK lottery! Don't even remember buying a ticket!

Oh, and some rich guy died with no heirs and wants to leave the money to me. I must look needy or something.

I can also get pills that will make my "unit" 8 inches long!

I'm still waiting for the money. Didn't get the pills. I saw no sense in downsizing.....

Beautify America - Get a Tattoo!
2002 K1200LT (going, going, GONE)
post #25 of 25 Old Apr 26th, 2008, 5:58 pm
THE Democracy Doctor

Location: We LOVE illegals and Socialists, Sunny, Southern Kommyfornia,

Quote:
....I have a weak spot for divorcees - poor gal is just trying to get a fresh start, but I think she is confused with her current location.

Ron, thanks for being a "giver!"

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." (Some really OLD friggin' White dude who couldn't have possibly known what he was talking about!) WARNING: Official HATE speech!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in