I was just minding my own business - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Apr 16th, 2008, 2:53 pm Thread Starter
Super Moderator

I was just minding my own business

This year I have had a run of bad luck:

1. In January sitting at a traffic light in my truck 5 car pile up - I am #3. Still trying to work with others insurance company to make it right. I believe the young lady was on a cell phone!! Other driver cited by police at the scene.

2. Mid March on the way from Minneapolis to Cincinnati - deer strike, in down state Illinois, in my wife's car - slight damage to front and side. Car at shop being repaired.

Two vehicles down and 1 to go . . .

3. This morning riding the bike to work sitting many cars back from the light - WHAM car from behind nails me. Next thing I know I am launched from the bike and rolling around in traffic. Pick up the bike, drive to a parking lot and start paper work. Police show up and the other driver cited by police at the scene.

A few comments re: #3
1. Had full gear on - no issues - have always supported ATGATT -its a wonderful thing!!

2. There are no BMW bike dealers in Cincinnati for the past 2+ years and I am currently waiting for the other Insurance to call and start the process.

3. Question would you insist on repair from an official BMW dealer - I know they are in Louisville, Indianapolis and Columbus??

4. Steer clear of traffic lights, young women and cell phones this can be a dangerous cocktail!!

Dan Finazzo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Apr 16th, 2008, 3:13 pm

Re: I was just minding my own business

Dan, sorry to hear about your mishaps but happy to see that you seem alright.

I don't know if the insurance companies would let you do the work after they paid for the parts from a BMW source. This may be an option depending on your garage situation, mechanical skills, tools available, type of damage, and obviously your willingness to perform the work yourself. I wish I had thought of that option and never let BMW of Hollywood touch my bike after it got rear-ended while parked in the complex garage.

Either way I hope you get your bike fixed and back on the road in no time.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #3 of 16 Old Apr 16th, 2008, 3:59 pm

I'm glad you're okay Dan.

When my Harley was dumped, the insurance didn't push any particular repair shop. State Farm doesn't have a list of accepted repair shops for bikes. Hence, it was up to me. I would think that they would be quite willing to ship your bike to a dealer, unless you had some other place you'd like to take it.

I can understand the danger with driving and women, but I'm not sure what the traffic lights and cell phone has to do with it.

When a government takes over a people’s economic life it becomes absolute, and when it has become absolute it destroys the arts, the minds, the liberties and the meaning of the people it governs.
- Maxwell Anderson

Bob
2007 K1200GT

post #4 of 16 Old Apr 16th, 2008, 4:01 pm

Talking Re: I was just minding my own business

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobnoxous
I can understand the danger with driving and women, but I'm not sure what the traffic lights and cell phone has to do with it.
Now that's funny!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #5 of 16 Old Apr 16th, 2008, 4:05 pm

That is some bad luck there!!!

I would take it to a BMW dealership, if you don't have to worry about the bill. It looks like the fix could be pretty expensive. My brothers LT just had cosmetic damage to the cases and topbox, along with one mirror. The bill ended up being 8,500. It was going to be a swap from totaling it and repair. He decided to repair it. He had his work done at Mathias in New Philadelphia. They do good work.

Bruce, the owner of BMW Columbus is a real nice guy. I have not had work done there. Howard has you could talk to him. I think they all left for NC today.

Good luck with the fix.

Neil '00 K1200LT '08 KLR
"Far away, is far away...
Only if you don't go!!!"
post #6 of 16 Old Apr 16th, 2008, 4:22 pm
Super Moderator

You should definitely require a BMW dealer to do the work. Independent or other brand shops won't have access to the right parts, tools, etc. to get your bike back to 100%.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #7 of 16 Old Apr 16th, 2008, 9:14 pm

Dan, sorry to hear of the accident. FYI the old BMW store is now Miami Cycle and the guys do an excellent job. Oscar the owner is a member of the local BMW club and Greg the mechanic is ex employee of the BMW store, he is the only guy that has worked on my bike since it was new. He worked on my trike last December and did a great job, since he had to tear the trike down to repair rear main leak. Greg owns an LT and will do a good job for you. I am sure they can get the parts to repair. Might call Oscar at 522-7200 to check if they can do. That way it will stay at home.
Larry

02 K1200LT Hannigan

post #8 of 16 Old Apr 17th, 2008, 6:33 am

I'm sorry to hear about your accident, but glad to hear you are ok..
My 23 yr old daughter has had two wrecks, both times running in to stopped vehicles. She says she was not on the phone.. Sure..
#1) a utility truck!!
#2) even worse... a empty school bus
She could have been putting on make-up, texting, who knows?
She's on her own now, and self sufficient. I told her the insurance co will not be around for long.

08 R1200GSA
04 K12LT (Sold)
97 R1100GS (Sold)
SS1000--IB # 32778

post #9 of 16 Old Apr 17th, 2008, 6:34 am

Look at the bright side. S**t like this happens in 3's. You have used up all your bad karma. Now when you get the bike fixed you can ride with no worries. I would push for the others insurance company to rent you a bike since it is your only source of transportation right now. That will at least give the company incentive to speed up the claim. Glad you wern't hurt.

2Wheelroadtrip (Barney)
03 LTC
82 Aspencade
Time Out camper

It's not where we go. It's that we go.

The information from this site and its members has proven to be invaluable again.
post #10 of 16 Old Apr 17th, 2008, 1:41 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Wheelroadtrip
I would push for the others insurance company to rent you a bike since it is your only source of transportation right now. That will at least give the company incentive to speed up the claim. Glad you wern't hurt.
I would agree with this and to have the work done at a BMW dealership. I'm sure a BMW dealership would be able to rent something to you I know mine would. Just think if you weren't wearing any gear, you know like the typical cruizer guy, jeans's, T Shirt, & Bandana. Chances are you wouldn't have been able to post this, unless it was from a hospital bed or worse yet next of kin.
post #11 of 16 Old Apr 17th, 2008, 5:34 pm

Hope you get to the doc to make sure you don't have "other" issues.

Get BMW to fix bike.. it is the Insurance Co's responsibility to provide that.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #12 of 16 Old Apr 17th, 2008, 7:35 pm

The main reason I would want to have a BMW dealer do the work is because they know what to look for in the damage. They have seen similar incidents and know where the hidden damage was... JM2CW

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #13 of 16 Old Apr 17th, 2008, 7:58 pm

Dan - sorry about your crash. Glad you're ok. ATGATT saved me, too.

+1 on the BMW shop repair (they know what to look for) + other drivers fault, they pay. If you have a good relationship with your insurance, they could help get things done - made a difference in my case, they said 'totaled' (it was) and made Allstate pay them for what they paid me, then they sent me my deductible.

Jim Taylor
Minneapolis
07 Black LT "Dancing Heart", 03 Quantum "Ice"
02 Black LTC "Raven" (RIP 8/26/06)
08 Can-Am Spyder (hers) (#731)
post #14 of 16 Old Apr 21st, 2008, 9:46 am

Dan,

I'm sorry to hear about your misfortune. You seem to have had a lifetimes worth of bad luck recently. You are fortunate there are no injuries.

Have the dealer very carefully check the rear of your bike. Rear collisions can bend or twist the rear subframe which requires a major disassembly to replace. I know what I speak of in that I had similar visible damage from a glancing blow from another bike a couple of years ago. Repairs came to about $8,000 and we didn't even fall.

I hope your luck is changing.

Bob

Bob Chapman
Virginia
2000 K12LT
1978 CB750A (Automatic Cafe Racer Ratbike)
post #15 of 16 Old May 18th, 2008, 11:31 pm

Hi, Dan.

I'm glad you're okay. I thought the drivers in the ATL were bad, but it sounds like you have your hands full there.

I have only been riding two years--BRC grad, 12K, etc.--and I started out with a 97 Kawi Vulcan. While I had heard that rear end accidents were rarer for MCs. I never quite bought it.

The Kawi has very little boddy work and a tiny brake light compared to my new K1200 LT. I got into the habbit of stopping 10 to twenty five feet away from the car in front of me, manually flashing the break light at approaching drivers and only moving up when I knew they were going to stop. (I also check for an out if it looks like they won't stop.)

It's amazing how some of these people come barreling up to stopped traffic, cars or otherwise. While I've only be tapped once from behind--minor crash, no damage,--I have had to gun the engine to move into my safety zone.

One other thought, I always try to pull into view of the left side mirror of any trucks or vehicles without rear view mirrors, when I am behind one at a stop. That helps to make sure the truck knows I'm there and doesn't try to back up. (It can happen.)

Good luck with getting things straightened out.

-----
JG
post #16 of 16 Old May 19th, 2008, 9:00 am

If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have not luck at all! Hope things improve. I have always tried to watch cages approaching from the rear, worried about exactly what happened to you. I recently added the Hyper-Lite brake lights adjusted to 5 second flash then solid. I have seen a very noticeable difference in how soon drivers behind me appear to notice that I have applied my brakes. I am convinced they start to slow down sooner and stay back farther.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in