Victory Vision Test Drive - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Apr 12th, 2008, 9:59 pm Thread Starter

Victory Vision Test Drive

One of the local motorcycle dealers here in the Denver metro area had a big demo weekend for Victory motorcycles. All models seem to have been included. So, after our Colorado Beemers Saturday morning breakfast, I went to the shop to see what it was all about.

I signed up and they asked me if I would like to test drive the vision. Of course since I currently own an LT, I was very interested in seeing how this new bike compared. So, I agreed.

All I can say is, Everyone, keep your LTs... There is simply no comparison what so ever.

Rather then bashing the poor folks at Victory online, I would like to take this off line and ask those interested in hearing my impressions to send me a private message and I will be happy to respond.

When I spoke with the factory rep, I was told that the version that I test drove was one that was used alot and that they would like to offer me another test drive on a different version. That leads me to question if the bike is not up to snuff, why include it in the demo at all??

We have the best luxury touring motorcycle in the world in my opinion. Makes me want to keep her forever.

I also rode some of their cruisers (the Vegas and King Pin). They were alot of fun and had alot of low end torque. They seemed to actually handle better then the Vision.

Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Apr 12th, 2008, 10:42 pm

Re: Victory Vision Test Drive

except for something to do... why even... I will to if I get the chance.

Loansumrider: Jim
01 LT Fast Pacific Blue ... " The Goose "

? when to ASUME, and HOW MUCH should you ASUME, safely ?
post #3 of 10 Old Apr 13th, 2008, 8:48 am

I liked the Vision, I like their idea and bold move to make a touring motorcycle. I liked all the little do dats. XM radio, hook up for MP3, GPS, and etc.......... What I did not like was the lack of ABS and their reason. Their customer surrey showed that people did not want them. I hated the heat of the rear cylinder and the little saddlebags, but otherwise the engine was loud and powerful. Would I own one??? with ABS, yes. Would I trade it on a LT????? No..........

John
Florida
2004 BMW R1150R Black
Contact me 4 motor training 1&1
Expert witness in motorcycle crash reconstruction (Contact me)

post #4 of 10 Old Apr 13th, 2008, 7:00 pm Thread Starter

We will just have to agree to disagree. Not a comfortable touring bike in my opinion.. I don't see the engine as providing sufficient torque for the weight.
post #5 of 10 Old Apr 14th, 2008, 10:34 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by rglassma
We will just have to agree to disagree. Not a comfortable touring bike in my opinion.. I don't see the engine as providing sufficient torque for the weight.
As all things are subjective, I thought comfort was the primary thing going for the Vision. I mean that in the body/seating position sense. Small, ergonomic items like the switch gear and mirror placement were annoying, but the cushy saddle and the nearly 2 feet of floorboard space make the prospect of J-pegs and the like on an LT seem like torture devices.

With the balls of my feet resting on the back edges of the floorboards, my body position was nearly identical to that on my LT. That's how I rode the Vision through the twisty canyon roads. Of course I needed to scoot my left foot forward to make a shift. The Vision has a much lower COG, so it feels very different than the LT in the curves, but I do think, but for the low revving lump of a motor, it could keep up with an LT on most roads. There was no frame flex or other poor handling characteristics of your typical crooozer, biker bike.

Lack of ABS and less luggage capacity were my main nits to pick. I place the Vision between the Goldwing and the LT in my general assessment, but tops in comfort (next, the LT and the GW last). My co-pilot also thought it was noticeably more comfortable.

I do find it interesting that they tried to make an excuse about the particular sample you tested. If it's been flogged and needs a tune up or some other attention, then they shouldn't have it available in their fleet until it's fixed.

-----------------------------------------

The word motorcycle is a verb.

2005 K1200LT "Rolf"
2007 Moto Guzzi Norge
post #6 of 10 Old Apr 14th, 2008, 11:47 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkramer
As all things are subjective, I thought comfort was the primary thing going for the Vision. I mean that in the body/seating position sense. Small, ergonomic items like the switch gear and mirror placement were annoying, but the cushy saddle and the nearly 2 feet of floorboard space make the prospect of J-pegs and the like on an LT seem like torture devices.

With the balls of my feet resting on the back edges of the floorboards, my body position was nearly identical to that on my LT. That's how I rode the Vision through the twisty canyon roads. Of course I needed to scoot my left foot forward to make a shift. The Vision has a much lower COG, so it feels very different than the LT in the curves, but I do think, but for the low revving lump of a motor, it could keep up with an LT on most roads. There was no frame flex or other poor handling characteristics of your typical crooozer, biker bike.

Lack of ABS and less luggage capacity were my main nits to pick. I place the Vision between the Goldwing and the LT in my general assessment, but tops in comfort (next, the LT and the GW last). My co-pilot also thought it was noticeably more comfortable.

I do find it interesting that they tried to make an excuse about the particular sample you tested. If it's been flogged and needs a tune up or some other attention, then they shouldn't have it available in their fleet until it's fixed.
My main point of discomfort was more the vibration on the boards, bars and seat then the other points. I couldn't imagine riding 800 miles with that amount of vibration.
post #7 of 10 Old Apr 14th, 2008, 1:53 pm

I too rode one in Daytona for bikeweek. I also like the position and room but they can keep their vibration and heat and no space in bags that look as though they should haul a whole lot more. Handled well though, lower center of gravity and all, power wasn't to bad. I'de never trade my LT for it unless I took a V-Twin stupid pill and they gave me 25,000.00 trade in. I did like it's LT style handlebars and futuristic styling, but I also loved the BSA Rocket 3 and Triumph Trident in 1969!

Brian A. Brodhead
God created all men, Samuel Colt made them equal

2005 BMW K1200LT Goldie goodtime plastic fm rock'n roamer
1975 Triumph T160 750 restored "Heather" For Sale
post #8 of 10 Old Apr 14th, 2008, 7:56 pm

Why would a company have a sub-par demo bike?? As you say that doesn't make any sense.

Warm & Safe Heated Clothing Sale- Lowest Prices!!

Contact Me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 10 Old Apr 15th, 2008, 10:13 am Thread Starter

That is exactly my thinking?? I told them they should have just benched it.
post #10 of 10 Old Apr 15th, 2008, 10:40 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by rglassma
My main point of discomfort was more the vibration on the boards, bars and seat then the other points. I couldn't imagine riding 800 miles with that amount of vibration.
Agreed. Unless the rpm was kept under 3000 rpm, it was quite buzzy. Co-pilot complained of that. After the first half of the test ride, where I was keeping the tach at > 4K, I found the "solution" to be: lower the engine speed, then it was silky smooth. And the motor didn't seem to mind such low revs. Riding twisty roads in that mode would not be very fun, though. Gotta keep those revs up in the canyons!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearmisses
I'd never trade my LT for it unless I took a V-Twin stupid pill...
Ha! V-Twin stupid pill, I love it!

Hey wait! I have a Guzzi. Actually, I think there must be some other kind of mind altering drug that induces Italian bike purchases.

-----------------------------------------

The word motorcycle is a verb.

2005 K1200LT "Rolf"
2007 Moto Guzzi Norge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in