If your thinking Japanese - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Apr 5th, 2008, 6:34 am Thread Starter

If your thinking Japanese

You may want to do your shopping and buying soon. Today I pick up my new 650 V Strom. I was holding out for a ABS model, it didn't happen. It seems all the ABS models are sold out for the year in the USA market. After talking to about a dozen dealers, more then a few have said that their total allowance of bikes from Honda , Suzuki, Kawasaki have been cut 20-25% for the year.
There's been a lot of speculation as to why but the consensus is they can get more money for them in other countries. It may be true as ABS V Stroms abound in Canada for 2K more then the list price here. If supplies tighten and I suspect they will, as the dealer near me is selling bikes like there's no tomorrow ( that's a good thing), you'll have a hard time finding the model in the color you want and chances are it's going to be tough to find a good deal.

On another note; a few weeks ago it was posted here about Honda motorcycle production being brought back to Japan. During Bike Week a customer of mine who recently retired from Honda gave me his unofficial opinion as to why. It seems it's written in some law in the home country that if the economy is weak for a certain period of time production comes back to Japan. I really don't know if it's true or not but it sure did seem interesting.

Last edited by nplenzick; Apr 5th, 2008 at 11:33 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Apr 5th, 2008, 9:00 am

Re: If your thinking Japanese

Frankly Nick, I would've found an ABS model somewhere, somehow . . . even if it meant buying used.
post #3 of 8 Old Apr 5th, 2008, 10:02 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
Frankly Nick, I would've found an ABS model somewhere, somehow . . . even if it meant buying used.
Sorry Joe their just not out there. I had many dealers saying yeah no problem I'll find you one. It never materialized. Many are posting now on the Stromtroopers forum that they are asking for there deposit back after waiting several months. Since they just came out last year with ABS it would be pretty tough to find one used out there........I've been checking for a few months and have seen nothing. I did here of one on the west coast for sale but never was able to get the details on it. Watch, now that I have posted this twenty of them will show up on eBay!
I'm a big ABS fan, this bike will be used very little as I I'm keeping the LT for most of my ridding. The V Strom is being used when I am on the road with the RV for errands, the ocassional ride, and to showcase the luggage we sell. The LT just takes up to much space in the trailer and besides I need to practice threshold braking for when I return to doing track events hopefully sometime next year!

post #4 of 8 Old Apr 7th, 2008, 7:51 am

I ran into the Service manager from Chicago BMW the other night and he told me that he got 20 R1200GS's and they were sold within a week and he has deposits on the next 20 and that is all he is getting.

My bet is that with the dollar at historic lows versus the Yen and the Euro, it is a better deal for the factories to sell anywhere but the US. Might help Harley stem their recent stock slide though as oversees riders can get one relatively cheap.

Just my .02 cents, rubles, drachmas, sheckels, euros, yen, kroners...whatever.

Ron
post #5 of 8 Old Apr 7th, 2008, 3:21 pm

Quote:
My bet is that with the dollar at historic lows versus the Yen and the Euro, it is a better deal for the factories to sell anywhere but the US. Might help Harley stem their recent stock slide though as oversees riders can get one relatively cheap.
I am not so sure this is correct ... BMW is selling their bikes for a specified EURO Value and the recipient country pays that value in their currency. So if you dollar is low now then it just means you fork out more dollars for that bike. This means it becomes somewhat expensive for you to buy that bike but BMW still gets their EURO Value. Obviously the same goes for the poor bugger that tries to buy a BMW in Zimbabwe ... only difference is that he will pay a few trillion Zim Dollars for it.

A bad day on the bike beats a good day in the office.
post #6 of 8 Old Apr 7th, 2008, 7:53 pm Thread Starter

The same V Strom goes for 2K more in Canada then it does here and their dollar is a little better then ours at the moment. But maybe they have a higher surcharge in the way of taxes.
In ether case in appears that there's going to be less new bikes available in the US market this year. If that's the case this may be the year to sell that used bike you've be letting sit in the garage for the past few years!
post #7 of 8 Old Apr 7th, 2008, 8:15 pm

Smile Re: If your thinking Japanese

You willl love your VStrom.. Only way to like it more was to get the big V-strom, the 1000 like mine. I am on my second DL1000, a black 07 as I sold my 03 Yellow DL1000 to a Gentleman who really wanted mine and made me an offer I could not refuse!

It is as am amazing a bike in it's own right as my LT was in it's super tourer capability.

47+ Yrs Daily Motorcycle Street riding for Therapy

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour

2007 Black Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - Sold
2007 Red Moto Guzzi Norge 1200 - Sold
2005 LT Dark Graphite - (Sold)
2005 PearlBlue FJR1300 (Sold)
3 BMW's, 8 HD baggers, 3 Goldwings & 860K + miles later
*Ridin steady since 1973

post #8 of 8 Old Apr 8th, 2008, 6:18 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmctpdog
You willl love your VStrom.. Only way to like it more was to get the big V-strom, the 1000 like mine. I am on my second DL1000, a black 07 as I sold my 03 Yellow DL1000 to a Gentleman who really wanted mine and made me an offer I could not refuse!

It is as am amazing a bike in it's own right as my LT was in it's super tourer capability.
The smile still hasn't come off my face from the ride home. Mighty impressed with how smooth the motor is, the quality of construction, and how well the bike fits me. One of the best stock seats I have ever sat on! This bike fit's me so much better then when I had my 1200GS and that makes all the difference in the world. I have no interest in the 1000, much taller then the 650 and I really have no need for the additional power, however if I was in the market for a larger GS type of bike the 1000 would be on my very short list. The only negative I have is the dealership. No passion what so ever, I felt like I was buying a loaf of bread. Oh one more, the one year warranty is pretty lame, it really needs to be at least two.
On another note I took notice of a Ninja 250R in the showroom.......boy have they changed them. It's some motorcycle for $3499. Looks like you could really have a blast doing track events on a really limited budget

Last edited by nplenzick; Apr 8th, 2008 at 6:35 am.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in