Quick question about tire pressure - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 9:28 pm Thread Starter

Quick question about tire pressure

Just checked the tire pressure before taking the bike out of winter storage. Its about 27psi, I know its low from storage and tires will loose pressure. This is the 1st year Ive ever checked after my local mechanic let me have it for riding w/ such low tire pressure. I didnt realize this was so dangerous. My question is how bad is it to ride w/ low pressure?

I want to ride into work tommorow morning, I leave so early (0530) that no service stations are open to get air in them locally. Is is gonna be safe to do a 28 mile ride w/ low tire pressure?

Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 9:47 pm

Re: Quick question about tire pressure

Sounds like a good excuse to get an air compressor!

Joe Van Orsdol
Zimmerman Mn
'02 K1200LT
'94 K75S for sale
'11 DR650 Alaska Bike
'13 KTM 250XCW
post #3 of 12 Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 10:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by joevano
Sounds like a good excuse to get an air compressor!
+1 on the air compressor. You can get a good little Craftsman model for less than $100.00 that will come in handy for more than just the scooter.

Every pre-ride check should include air pressure. Over time, you won't need to pull out the guage - you'll know the sound of the properly inflated tire when you bang it with a heavy object (e.g., a hammer).

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-

post #4 of 12 Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 11:06 pm
Cooler on the east coast!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahpd1992
Just checked the tire pressure before taking the bike out of winter storage. Its about 27psi, I know its low from storage and tires will loose pressure. This is the 1st year Ive ever checked after my local mechanic let me have it for riding w/ such low tire pressure. I didnt realize this was so dangerous. My question is how bad is it to ride w/ low pressure?

I want to ride into work tommorow morning, I leave so early (0530) that no service stations are open to get air in them locally. Is is gonna be safe to do a 28 mile ride w/ low tire pressure?

Tom
Can you say Ford and firestone

I feel for you Tom I was berated for not having the recommended tire pressure. I now check it every week or every few days. I will have to say I am surprise how often I need to add air.

Treat yourself to an air compressor.

G-Glove
2003 Silver LTC
post #5 of 12 Old Apr 4th, 2008, 4:13 am

I rely on the TPM in my K1200GT. I check the TPM reading on the display each time I ride.

Despite its "temperature compensation" feature, the TPM goes up by 1-2 psi during a normal ride in a typical So. Cal. 15 mile commute.

The TPM has been very consistent since I bought the bike. It closely matches a cheap digital tire gauge. I watched it and compared it with the tire gauge for several months to make sure.

I ride year round. Tire pressures drift slowly down, but it takes many weeks. When I add air, I usually fill the tires two psi over the recommended pressures, and let them slowly drift down over time. On a K1200GT, the recommended pressures are 36 psi front and 42 psi rear.

The first time the TPM shows either tire with 2 psi below the recommended pressure (normally at cold start in the morning), then I refill both tires at the next refueling. The last time I needed to refill the tires was more than two months ago.
post #6 of 12 Old Apr 4th, 2008, 5:27 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahpd1992
My question is how bad is it to ride w/ low pressure?
I can't think of a single reason why you'd want to ride on tires with low air pressure. Not only does it promote improper wear, but it's also dangerous, especially on a heavy bike such as the LT. Lower pressures cause the tires to heat up excessively, which can cause delamination and/or tire breakdown. Do yourself a huge favor and keep an eye on those pressures. (At least once a week, if not more.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMagnaRider
I rely on the TPM in my K1200GT. I check the TPM reading on the display each time I ride.
I wouldn't rely on just the TPM as much as you do. Checking tire pressures once a week with a good tire guage only takes 1 minute.

I would like to add that my GT's tires don't loose air pressure like my LT's did. My LT's tires needed air weekly. The GT, probably once a month. (You gotta love a lighter bike!)
post #7 of 12 Old Apr 4th, 2008, 6:16 am

Didn't you ever get one of those emergency car kits as a gift? One of those with the little compressor that plugs into your cig lighter in the car. They may not be fast, but they will air up your tire so you can ride. I almost threw one away because I have a couple of real compressors. I them decided to toss it in the trailer I pull with the bike for emergency situations. I have never needed it but there are a few friends that are glad I have it along. Car kits go for about $20 at the local discount stores.

2Wheelroadtrip (Barney)
03 LTC
82 Aspencade
Time Out camper

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

It's not where we go. It's that we go.

The information from this site and its members has proven to be invaluable again.
post #8 of 12 Old Apr 4th, 2008, 12:58 pm Thread Starter

Joe you gave me the answer I was looking for, I didnt ride in this morning because I hadnt heard an answer I decided not risk it. When I get home Il take the bike to the gas station and fill it up.

I also am going to look into an air compressor, Il get a lot of use with my cars as well. In my older age, Ive become quite a bit more anal about maintenance. I supposed I finally figured out the old saying "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure"

Thanks again for the info

Tom
post #9 of 12 Old Apr 4th, 2008, 1:49 pm
Lifetime Supporter

If you are considering mounting one permanently on your bike like many other owners,there are 2 on e-bay now. Search for thomas 215 This is the one that several members have used. Can be mounted under trunk where you have removed the charcoal canister.

dan
post #10 of 12 Old Apr 7th, 2008, 7:00 am Thread Starter

BTW what's the recommended tire pressure on Metzlers? I cant seem to find it on the side of the tire. Also what happens if you over inflate? This tire stuff is all so new to me, I never paid any attention before, I guess ignorance was bliss

Tom
post #11 of 12 Old Apr 7th, 2008, 7:33 am
Lifetime Supporter

48 psi is the consensus on Metzler tire pressure. Keep it up or they start to howl. 42 psi in the front.

dan
post #12 of 12 Old Apr 7th, 2008, 8:26 am

If you want a decent compressor for home use, Go to costco. They have one for 68 bucks. Its not a small unit. Its got a tank and fairly decent pump on it. The little pumps like the thompson will not last long pumping up car tires. They are just for on the road top off's of your bike.

Brian Ley
WA State of mindless sheep
USA where everything is illegal
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
2000 k1200LT Sold but not forgotten
BMWOA 119892

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in