Anyone use a permanent steel mesh oil filter? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old Apr 1st, 2008, 11:56 pm Thread Starter

Anyone use a permanent steel mesh oil filter?

Just checking to see if anyone has ever used the Scott's permannent oil filter. You can see it here ...

http://www.scottsonline.com/products...ype=3&Bike=Bmw

It supposedly fliters down to 35 microns and while it needs to be cleaned, never needs to be replaced.

2006 Magnesium Black Metallic K1200LT (sold - sigh)
1996 Sinus (aka Cirrus) Blue Metallic R1100RT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 5:38 am

Re: Anyone use a permanent steel mesh oil filter?

Doesn't seem cost effective to me. Also, if it is so much better than a replaceable filter, why wouldn't Munich specify one to start with?

'07 - R1200RT Slippery Silver

MOA #107139
RA #28511

Past rides:
'03 R1150RT - MAXed out
'03 K1200LTC - Gone to the Darko side
'00 Kawasaki Concours - Buzz
'71 Honda SL350 - The original dual-sport
'72 Kawasaki 250 triple - The smoking gun
'67 Montgomery Wards 125 - Thrashed to death
post #3 of 17 Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 6:07 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurKnowles
Just checking to see if anyone has ever used the Scott's permannent oil filter. You can see it here ...

http://www.scottsonline.com/products...ype=3&Bike=Bmw

It supposedly fliters down to 35 microns and while it needs to be cleaned, never needs to be replaced.
The human eye can see particles in the 40 micron range. Do you want particles this big going thru your bearings? Most automotive style filters are in the 10 - 15 micron range. Just food for thought.

Roy

Roy Gregersen

Ride Slow, Ride Fast, Always Ride Safe
85 K100RT sold
02 LTC DOA 9/21/14
12 R1200RT

post #4 of 17 Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 10:56 am

yes, i use one on my yamaha roadstar. 1800cc big bore. 100 h.p. at rear wheel 122 foot pounds torque. i like it. see no problem w/it.
post #5 of 17 Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 1:07 pm

Most wear takes place with particles in the 5 to 25 micron range. Wear has been shown to be reduced 70% when switching from a 40 micron filter to a 15 micron filter.

Their literature says it's absolute efficiency (99% removal) at 35 microns.
Cellulose (paper) filters are about 40% efficient at 15 microns.
Cellulose synthetic blend filters are about 80% efficient at 15 microns.
Synthetic nanofiber filters are 99% efficient at 15 microns and lasts at least twice as long as the paper and synthetic blend filters.

The last one is what I use in all my vehicles and generator.
post #6 of 17 Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 1:13 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimVipond
Synthetic nanofiber filters are 99% efficient at 15 microns and lasts at least twice as long as the paper and synthetic blend filters.

The last one is what I use in all my vehicles and generator.
Where do you get these filters for the BMW models?

And just out of curiousity, do you know what the stock BMW filters use?

2006 Magnesium Black Metallic K1200LT (sold - sigh)
1996 Sinus (aka Cirrus) Blue Metallic R1100RT
post #7 of 17 Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 1:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardbargin
yes, i use one on my yamaha roadstar. 1800cc big bore. 100 h.p. at rear wheel 122 foot pounds torque. i like it. see no problem w/it.
You won't see any problem, until your engine comes apart.

Beautify America - Get a Tattoo!
2002 K1200LT (going, going, GONE)
post #8 of 17 Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 1:52 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurKnowles
Where do you get these filters for the BMW models?

And just out of curiousity, do you know what the stock BMW filters use?
The BMW filters are paper. I'll PM you the details on the filters for your two bikes.
post #9 of 17 Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 7:05 pm

I had an opportunitu to clean one down at a bike shop, and did not personally care for it. I'm looking strongly at Perf-form synthetic fiber filters.
http://www.perf-form.com/products.htm
post #10 of 17 Old Apr 4th, 2008, 3:39 pm

Please avoid.

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo...tml#OilFilters

"There's a new type of filter being marketed, the "laser cut stainless steel filter," which we're told is "good for the life of your vehicle."

These filters typically have 35-40 micron holes, which is really not acceptable. They typically have 30-40 square inches of filter material, which is really not acceptable. A paper based element is a 3 dimensional filter - when a particle gets stuck deep in the filter element, oil can still flow around it. The stainless steel elements are 2 dimensional - when a particle gets caught, one of the holes is clogged up.

I don't see how you can assure that all the holes get cleared out when you clean these. Certainly simply soaking the filter in kerosene is not going to release particles that have been jammed into a hole at 60psi. Blowing the filter out with air sounds good, but a motorcycle filter is too small to let an air hose inside.

These stainless steel filters cost about $120, about 25 times what I pay for a Pure One. Since I use my filters for about 8,000 miles, that means I have to go 200,000 miles to break even. I've never put more than 60,000 miles on a vehicle.

I don't think this technology is ready to use yet. When the holes get down to 20 microns, and the surface area up to about 100-150 square inches, then I think I'll consider using one. Meanwhile, "good for the life of your vehicle" is not an impressive claim if the device shortens the life of your vehicle."
post #11 of 17 Old Apr 8th, 2008, 3:13 pm

They make stainless steel mesh as small as you want. Why do they need to use a laser cut material? I'm guessing because a proper SS mesh filter as a direct replacement to a paper filter would be difficult to clean and cost about $200 to produce.
post #12 of 17 Old Apr 8th, 2008, 6:53 pm

Due to the bypass valve in your filter not all of your oil goes through your paper filter anyway. And when your oil is cold on start up almost no oil goes through the filter is just bypasses until warmed enough to loose some of the viscosity. The theory is that eventually most of your oil will go through the filter to trap any particles that are suspended in it.

--Thats OK I don't care--
post #13 of 17 Old Apr 8th, 2008, 9:30 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonshine
Due to the bypass valve in your filter not all of your oil goes through your paper filter anyway. And when your oil is cold on start up almost no oil goes through the filter is just bypasses until warmed enough to loose some of the viscosity. The theory is that eventually most of your oil will go through the filter to trap any particles that are suspended in it.
I think that may have been true in the old days of single weight oils, but with today's 10W multigrades, it would have to be subzero to thicken the oil enough to drive a filter into bypass. If one is running a 10W-40 in the LT in winter and maintaining the filter at regular intervals, its all good with the paper ones IMO.
post #14 of 17 Old Apr 8th, 2008, 9:52 pm

"almost no oil goes through the filter is just bypasses until warmed enough to loose some of the viscosity"

So here's my question: if the oil doesn't go through until it loses viscosity, but you use, let's say 10/40, wouldn't the oil pass through cold (10W), but bypass when warmed up (40W)? Things that make you go HMMMMMMM.
post #15 of 17 Old Apr 9th, 2008, 8:51 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpmlt
"almost no oil goes through the filter is just bypasses until warmed enough to loose some of the viscosity"

So here's my question: if the oil doesn't go through until it loses viscosity, but you use, let's say 10/40, wouldn't the oil pass through cold (10W), but bypass when warmed up (40W)? Things that make you go HMMMMMMM.
No, the bypass is spring loaded and based on backpressure. You get more backpressure with high oil viscosity or a plugged filter, but restrict flow. The oil pump is a lobed positive displacement pump, so it pulls a relatively constant volumetric flow rate dependant on RPM, but the maximum flow rate throug the filter element will be dependant on oil viscosity.
post #16 of 17 Old Apr 11th, 2008, 12:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tat_n_Telle
You won't see any problem, until your engine comes apart.
thats bullshit! i run synthetic mobil one change it every 3,000 miles. oil looks just as clean as any other filter i have ever run. plus it has a magnetic catch
to it. what do you know of it? if you have never tried one on your engine then i suggest you keep your smart remarks to thy self.

thank you
post #17 of 17 Old Jul 27th, 2008, 11:47 pm

i purchased a scotts performance filter a few months ago for a suzuki c50t... found the information in ama magazine... never installed it since it was not time to change the oil... i am sending it back after reading the threads here... i have to agree...for 129.00 or for the bmw k12 ...149... not to mention cleaning it out properly... doesn't seem worth it...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in