Can-Am Spyder - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Mar 29th, 2008, 10:19 am Thread Starter

Can-Am Spyder

Anyone on the board own one yet?

After carefully considering the options and circumstances, it's looking more and more like this will be Gail's next ride. Looking for some comments from anyone with a little experience with one. I've done the test ride thing and I liked it a lot (for what it is). Can-Am forum is just getting going, so there aren't many "objective" opinions yet.

This unfortunately will force the sale of my '06 FJR, but that's how it goes.

Dave Hoogerland

'08 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
'02 K1200LTC "The Silver Snoopy" (gone but not forgotten)
'08 Can-Am Spyder "???"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Mar 29th, 2008, 10:31 am

Talking Re: Can-Am Spyder

SWEET! For Gail huh? Rrrrrrrrrright!
post #3 of 16 Old Mar 29th, 2008, 11:09 am Thread Starter

Re: Can-Am Spyder

Well, I can ride it too.

Dave Hoogerland

'08 Can-Am Spyder "???"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 16 Old Mar 29th, 2008, 8:47 pm

I don't own one, but haven't heard any actual owners complain. They all seem to love the bike,

Warm & Safe Heated Clothing Sale- Lowest Prices!!

Contact Me.

post #5 of 16 Old Mar 29th, 2008, 9:01 pm
Senior Member (ret.)

Sharky's (Bruce) wife Denise has one. She did an SS1000 on it I think.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy
post #6 of 16 Old Mar 29th, 2008, 11:25 pm
Super Moderator

Well. if you have to lose the FJR for something, at least you picked something rally cool! SO, will Gail be allowing test rides at CCR??

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #7 of 16 Old Mar 30th, 2008, 1:43 am
BMW Guru

Shouldn't this be in the "Trike" forum

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

post #8 of 16 Old Mar 30th, 2008, 7:30 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTaylor
Well. if you have to lose the FJR for something, at least you picked something rally cool! SO, will Gail be allowing test rides at CCR??
Only for you David.

Gail
Orlando Fl.
'04 Suzuki GS500F (F is for female) Sold!
'08 Can-Am Spyder (Araignée)

"If you want anything said ask a man, if you want anything done ask a woman." Margret Thatcher

Last edited by MotoGirl; Mar 30th, 2008 at 8:02 am.
post #9 of 16 Old Mar 30th, 2008, 9:55 am
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoGirl
Only for you David.
Now you KNOW I'm going to take you up on that!

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #10 of 16 Old Mar 30th, 2008, 6:53 pm

Yep. Got one here! Premier #731. Silver. Hers, akshully, but I do get to play with it! And, guess who installs farkles? So far - Bar raiser (their term), HeatTroller, Power socket, Autocom with ICOM setup. Coming: backrest, rack, GIVI trunk, heated grips.

Short version - VERY well made, tho a bit on the heavy side. Fit and finish is quite good. An absolute blast to ride. If you get on one - don't grab a big handful of throttle unless you are READY!

Jim Taylor
Minneapolis
07 Black LT "Dancing Heart", 03 Quantum "Ice"
02 Black LTC "Raven" (RIP 8/26/06)
08 Can-Am Spyder (hers) (#731)
post #11 of 16 Old Mar 30th, 2008, 10:02 pm

MY wife Denise has one. 3700+ miles including an SS1000 last week and 650+ this weekend. Corners great and is very comfortable average 32 to 35 mpg with 7.1 gallon tank.

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting...holy $hit...what a ride"-Mavis Leyrer
Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you. John Stienbeck
08 CanAm Spyder "Fast Truck"(Wifes')
08 Kawasaki KLR 650 "Lil Dirt Truck"
05 K1200Lt "Lt Truck"
05 Piaggio X9 Reveloution "Lil Truck"

97 International 4700 "Big Truck"

AMA Life Member
BMWMOA

post #12 of 16 Old Mar 31st, 2008, 6:34 pm

I rode the new Spyder from Can-am. Interesting ride. I like the style and the look. Ergonomics are pretty good. The engine has more than enough grunt and the electronic stability control and ABS work quite well, to good for some I suppose. I couldn’t get it to slide the rear end around. It monitors motion in all directions and controls wheels spin in relations to all the wheels, and uses the independent brakes, throttle control and engine timing to keep everything rolling along nicely. The power assisted steering makes it effortless to control. It goes where you point it and it gets the fast. It has a slight yaw, so it leans a little into the curves.

It was like riding a very well behaved, big powerful ATV, with out the steering torque or tire squirm.

Goes for around 15 K with out options.

Vince Weidig

2000 LT - LandyachT
2005 Ural Patrol
2003 Artic Cat ATV - Horse
Bayliner Cutty Cabin - Anytime
Airstream B190 -
post #13 of 16 Old Mar 31st, 2008, 7:41 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkey
MY wife Denise has one. 3700+ miles including an SS1000 last week and 650+ this weekend. Corners great and is very comfortable average 32 to 35 mpg with 7.1 gallon tank.
Bruce (and Jim) thanks for the feedback.

I'm wondering if your wife used to ride a motorcycle previously, how easily did she transition to the Spyder. Dave is concerned that the Spyder requires much more effort, and will wear me out sooner in the curves. I'm pretty short, does Denise have any trouble with the reach or peg position?

Jim, how easy is this to pull apart for add ons and maintenance?

Here's a picture from my short test ride.

Gail
Orlando Fl.
'04 Suzuki GS500F (F is for female) Sold!
'08 Can-Am Spyder (Araignée)

"If you want anything said ask a man, if you want anything done ask a woman." Margret Thatcher

post #14 of 16 Old Mar 31st, 2008, 11:07 pm

Denise started out riding dirt bikes when we were younger then a 125 Suzuki Stinger street bike. Then the kids came along and she didn't ride much. In 1999 her and my daughter took the MSF course and she bought a Sportster, Ultra Classic with a Lehman Trike kit which she has about 70,000 miles on and then last year she saw a Spyder test rode it and put an deposit down on it and waited almost a year for it. It is very comfortable. Our SS1000 was actually 1163 miles. She said the seat is an 1000 mile seat the last 163 miles it started to bother her. The only modifications so far are satellite radio, throttle rocker, and this friday when she gets it serviced is 1" handlebar riser. In the future maybe a different windshield and Hid headlights. Denise is 5' 4" tall and a 30" inseam. And we aren't spring chickens either. It has speed senitive power steering and a clutch operated reverse very easy to maneuver in parking lot, open road, and tight twisteze. Our ride this weekend took us over Hiway 36 in Ca. 140 miles of twisteze.

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting...holy $hit...what a ride"-Mavis Leyrer
Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you. John Stienbeck
08 CanAm Spyder "Fast Truck"(Wifes')
08 Kawasaki KLR 650 "Lil Dirt Truck"
05 K1200Lt "Lt Truck"
05 Piaggio X9 Reveloution "Lil Truck"

97 International 4700 "Big Truck"

AMA Life Member
BMWMOA

Last edited by Sharkey; Mar 31st, 2008 at 11:19 pm.
post #15 of 16 Old Apr 1st, 2008, 6:14 am Thread Starter

Any prediction on how long those tires are going to last? I know they are "car" sizes, but I believe the only place as yet to get the Z rated Kendras is at a (Can-Am) Spyder dealer. I'm hearing $300 for a set. Not sure how regular car tires would perform, or hold up, at the low pressures they run. I would hope 10-15k, but who knows....

Dave Hoogerland

'08 Can-Am Spyder "???"

post #16 of 16 Old Apr 1st, 2008, 10:38 am

Gail (& Dave) -
The pulling apart is much easier than I expected. (Shoulda took a pic when it was tupperwareless.) Panels are held with screws (much like the LT's) and plastic clip/rivets. Gauges pop out and the fuse block goes in there. We've added fuse block, fogs, bar raiser (their term), HeatTroller (for W's liner), and Autocom (intercom and bike-to-bike). W is 4'10" and this is the first machine that really fits her. She came from a 250 Virago (that really didn't fit).

No word on the tires yet, but surely with all the IBA runs someone will run a set down soon. IIRC it's not so much the pressure in the tires that controls the wear, but the profile of the tire when underway - reference the old Smitty's trailers that ran at 15-20psi and got pretty good mileage.

Jim Taylor
Minneapolis
07 Black LT "Dancing Heart", 03 Quantum "Ice"
02 Black LTC "Raven" (RIP 8/26/06)
08 Can-Am Spyder (hers) (#731)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in