Trip to CO in May - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Mar 28th, 2008, 9:10 am Thread Starter

Trip to CO in May

Hi guys

Contenplating a trip to Breckenridge in May, week before Memorial Day. Might go up through Kansas but come back through Oklahoma. This will be unfortunately a super slab ride as I am meeting friends and wife in Breck for the week so I need to get there. My buddy has done the trip 3 times and told me 3 days. 700 the first than 400 the next two. We will see.

What kind of weather should I expect?

Thanks for any input

Darcy Bastos
2007 FJR1300
2007 Ducati GT1000 Sport Classic
Atlanta, GA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Mar 28th, 2008, 9:24 am

Re: Trip to CO in May

Rockies in May? There is a great probability that you will encounter every combination possible.

I was riding from Houston to Grand Junction once and in one day had impressive heat, rain, and below freezing- frost and ice in the ditches. Bring all the protective clothing you have. You will use it.

2014 R1200RT WC

As Woody Guthrie says, Left wing, right wing, chicken wing.I keep my mind open. Whatever you believe, its all a mystery in the end.
post #3 of 12 Old Mar 28th, 2008, 9:29 am

WINTER. You're going to be at 9,500 feet MSL..... I lived at Keystone (right around the corner) at 9,300 feet for several years.

Honestly, you might catch a break and get dry weather in the low 50's for highs and the 20's for lows in Breck if you are lucky - but this is highly unlikely.

It snows in Breck once in a while even on the fourth of July. Gets "warm" mid July to mid August and thats it! A heat wave would be 75F.

Ditch the bike at the Denver airport and get a cheapy rental car - you'll be glad you did.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; Mar 28th, 2008 at 9:35 am.

post #4 of 12 Old Mar 28th, 2008, 2:52 pm

Garage

I'm going to be going through CO mid May, and I'll take what ever weather she throws at me.

BUT, the important part will be coming back Through Canadian , TX to have a steak and some bread pudding at he Cattleman's Exchange.. Don't miss it!!

Bill Jennings, fhp
Denison, TX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BMW States
BMW years and miles, 32 years 500K+

AMA, CMA, IBA, POG, MSF, FHP, etc

'99 K1200lt
'76 R900/6
Various Vintage Dirt Bikes
-Greeves (Sold), Pentons, Hodaka, etc.

Remember you are not lost till you run out of gas!
post #5 of 12 Old Mar 28th, 2008, 5:45 pm

I would expect nice riding and be prepared for thunderstorms. Carry your heated vest for the mornings in Colorado. I ride around Colorado during the Summer and find that I get rained on more often than not and when it rains in the valleys it snows in the mountains. I would still ride my bike despite the possibility of bad weather. As for a route across Kansas and Oklahoma there are interstates as well as two lane roads. Route 66 runs along I40 in the panhandle of Texas as well as in OK until OKC then it veers up to Tulsa and St Louis. There is some decent riding in Arkansas and eastern OK. I live in SW OK where we tend to ride around the Wichita moutains.
post #6 of 12 Old Mar 28th, 2008, 6:54 pm

[QUOTE=jwimberley]I would expect nice riding and be prepared for thunderstorms.

I've never ever seen a thunderstorm in the Colorado
high country in May - and thats after living and flying there for the past 32 years.

It just ain't warm enough. They usually fire up earliest around the 4th of July when the southern monsoonal flow begins and typically end by Labor Day.

Snowstorms in May? Absolutely.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #7 of 12 Old Mar 29th, 2008, 7:20 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLDB
Hi guys

Contenplating a trip to Breckenridge in May, week before Memorial Day. Might go up through Kansas but come back through Oklahoma. This will be unfortunately a super slab ride as I am meeting friends and wife in Breck for the week so I need to get there. My buddy has done the trip 3 times and told me 3 days. 700 the first than 400 the next two. We will see.

Thanks for any input
Darcy,

I live in Northern Colorado. By that time of year I would generally expect cold mornings (I put the liner in my mesh jacket and turn on the heated grips); by late morning it starts warming up (liner come out and heat goes off). You can count on some light rain most afternoons up by Breckenridge - almost never warrants putting the liner back in the jacket.

I always carry my rain jacket, but maybe throw it on three or four times a year.

In all fairness some people I ride with do break out the rain gear more frequently and leave their liners in a bit later in the afternoon.

Unless you are in a few select places I wouldn't worry about the snow...

Tim

2005 Graphite
The only way to live is in the wind....
post #8 of 12 Old Mar 29th, 2008, 10:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLDB
Hi guys

Thanks for any input
Chances are you will be fine, with great weather. I've been riding almost every day the past two weeks and I'm at 8800ft. in the middle of the Colorado Rockies. Some of my best rides have been in May... great weather, minimal vacation traffic, green grasses, incredibly beautiful and snow laden peaks. If it snows, it will be wet and melt quickly. Bring contingency clothing and have a great ride.
post #9 of 12 Old Mar 30th, 2008, 9:09 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses. This trip is not until May 19th, so I have sometime to figure out what I want to do. I have been in Breck in June before and wish I had my bike, I have been there in first of July and froze my cajones off, so I know how unpredictable it can be.

Originally I was going to Fly to Denver with the wife and rent a car. Than she rents a car and I a bike (R1200GS) but after seen the $1200 cost for a GS for 7 days I decided renting is not for me, specially with a K1200LT seating in the garage.

Than the other option was to drive our newly acquired and super confortable BMW 750iL out there as its first long trip.

I will figure something out soon enough, the plush seat of my 750iL is looking pretty good right about now. My mind could change shortly before we will see.

Darcy Bastos
2007 FJR1300
2007 Ducati GT1000 Sport Classic
Atlanta, GA
post #10 of 12 Old May 23rd, 2008, 6:49 pm

The riding weather is GREAT ... for snowmobiles in Breckenridge in May! Just think, in a week it will be JUNE.

Tonight: A chance of rain and snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 31. South southwest wind between 10 and 13 mph becoming light. Chance of precipitation is 40%. Total nighttime snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.

Saturday: A chance of rain and snow showers before noon, then a chance of rain showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 48. Southwest wind between 5 and 14 mph, with gusts as high as 22 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.

Saturday Night: A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 26. Southwest wind between 6 and 9 mph.

Sunday: A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Partly cloudy, with a high near 51. Southwest wind between 10 and 16 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph.

But wait, there's MORE...!

US 34 Trail Ridge Road CLOSED
CO 82 Independence Pass CLOSED for the season.
CO 5 Mt Evans(wet)(icy spts)
COS 1 Pikes Peak restricted Call 800-318-9505.
Kebler Pass CLOSED
306 Cottonwood Pass CLOSED

And here's a current shot of the west portal of Vail Pass as the sun sets:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Vail west portal.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	12.0 KB
ID:	18001  

"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; May 23rd, 2008 at 7:07 pm.
post #11 of 12 Old May 23rd, 2008, 11:37 pm

Eh no problem. Rode all around the mountains today. The isolated snow showers/flurries are extremely wet, melting as soon as it hits any kind of pavement. Evans is open to the top. Some of the passes noted are dirt. Surprised they will open Independence within a week after all the snow that fell up high this year. Leading a group ride tomorrow over Berthoud Pass to Winter Park!
post #12 of 12 Old May 24th, 2008, 8:45 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfarson
Eh no problem. Rode all around the mountains today. The isolated snow showers/flurries are extremely wet, melting as soon as it hits any kind of pavement. Evans is open to the top. Some of the passes noted are dirt. Surprised they will open Independence within a week after all the snow that fell up high this year. Leading a group ride tomorrow over Berthoud Pass to Winter Park!

Saturday, May 24, 2008, 6:00am:

US 40 Berthoud Pass icy spots

I've taken the LT over Kebler (not a really great idea) and Cottonwood (nice) once it has been graded for the summer.

Can't say the LT is the best dirt bike I've ever ridden but then again....

Have fun and be carefull out there!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	iceracing.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	155.1 KB
ID:	18007  

"Like Butt-ahh!"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in