Safety Reminder - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 12:09 pm Thread Starter

Safety Reminder

Shamelessly snagged from Andrew of the South Bay Riders (SBR):
(TIA Andrew)

>>
So once more the annual springtime rider and motorcycle sacrifice is just starting up.

This is the time of year where we pay homage to the Sausage Creature [1] by bending, breaking, injuring and sometimes killing a proportion of our members and their motorcycles, just to satisfy this angry and malicious god[2].

Once this mythical creature has eaten enough, the crash rates goes back to 'normal' but for the next couple of months its appetite is ravenous.

Many experienced riders who have survived many spring seasons dodging the claws and jaws of the sausage creature have developed a few strategic tips on how to be a survivor rather than a sacrifice.

- it is not summertime. under those trees up there the road is wet and slippery, stfd
- you were not valentino rossi when you parked your bike last autumn. you aren't him now
- your bike is out of practice, check it over
- you are even more out of practice, build it back up slowly
- see those other guys racing you? they're not vale either. you don't have to follow them into the ditch
- applies to men aged between-, well, any age really. it's the rutting season. a tiny part of your ancient brain wants to lock proverbial horns with other mammals to win the right to shag all the females. it's the role of the large, modern part of your brain to ensure that you win this contest in a more cunning, covert and less life threatening way. Unfortunately this tiny part is directly wired to your knob, your gob and your right wrist. The large part is much smarter, but is wired to the part of your brain that sometimes buys flowers. Not much of a contest, is it.[3]
- oooh, look at the pretty flowers. No, not you. the young silicon valley nerdy lovers gently meandering their way up page mill in their paper plated prius, she's gazing out the window, he's taking the opportunity to gawp at her tits while she's looking the other way and neither of them are paying any attention to the road, the dy or that tiny speck up ahead that might be you.
- wildlife. it was there before you, it will be there after you. it understand the numbers game and doesn't mind losing a few to win.

I'm sure there are other, seasoned and all year riders who can add in their thoughts, but what I'm saying is please be careful out there. This time of year is carnage. If that's news to you, you're my target audience. If you've made it through a few spring seasons, you'll know this is a great time of year to own a towtruck or a medivac helo. CHP and Sheriff make a lot of overtime hours at this time of year handing out performance riding awards to try and get us all to cool it off a little.

Have fun, enjoy the springtime, but ride smart please.

[1] google is your friend
[2] yes, I know this is idolatry, and on Easter Sunday too. Or is it NoRooz? Anyway, yeah. My ticket is booked and my bags are packed but only for the third circle so far. I was hoping for at least fifth.
[3] okay, I think I just made it to fourth circle, yaay!
<<

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in