BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Safety

2K views 23 replies 19 participants last post by  mbwillis 
#1 · (Edited)
#4 ·
I could not wear this! My bike is dark graphite and red does NOT go with it...:eek:

A major fashion faux-pas like this can get you in trouble in no time with the patrolwomen if you don't watch out...:soapbox:

#5 ·
zippy_gg said:
I could not wear this! My bike is dark graphite and red does NOT go with it...:eek:

A major fashion faux-pas like this can get you in trouble in no time with the patrolwomen if you don't watch out...:soapbox:
Only a Frechman would be concerend about fashion on a motorcycle.

#6 · (Edited)
CalLT said:
nope. i throw those away. once they hit the deck they are broke. think of them as eggshells.
Not really a question of would you wear a damaged helmet or not, but as to does one where a helmet at all. Quite a buzz going on over in the MOA site about helmets. This site is always asking me to contribute, ask a question etc, etc, etc. This was helmet when I went down on my R bike. No I wouldn't wear it either. I was ready for a new one. That one is over 15 years old.

#7 ·
Helmets are like body armor that we cops wear, you only get one use out of em. If it was used and your still there to talk about it then I guess it was worth every penny.

Give the helmet to any neighbor with young kids, they love to play with them. Basically your helmet is a broken peice of fiberglass once its been down. Thats one reason why I love HJC, great helmets, at a reasonable price. If I go down I dont even feel bad discarding it + I get to buy a new one :)

Tom

#9 ·
Colyn said:
I cannot even begin to imagine how any person can think of getting on a bike without a helmet.
Go to Daytona for bike week some day.

#10 ·
moondog said:
Not really a question of would you wear a damaged helmet or not, but as to does one where them at all. Quite a buzz going on over in the MOA site about helmets. This site is always asking me to contribute, ask a question etc, etc, etc. This was helmet when I went down on my R bike. No I wouldn't wear it either. I was ready for a new one. That one is over 15 years old.
My head looked about like that after my deer strike. I won't make the "no helmet today" choice ever again, felt like I was ready for a new head. -Chuck-

#12 ·
Colyn said:
I cannot even begin to imagine how any person can think of getting on a bike without a helmet.
I am with you on this one. I never understood why one would ride without a helmet. I do not really appreciate the obstructed vision, limited hearing, or the open road objection comments. I wear sun glasses when I drive and have never had the urge to stick my hear out of the window.
I also have never ridden without one so really can not comment on the difference so perhaps I am speaking out of line.

#15 ·
ahpd1992 said:
Helmets are like body armor that we cops wear, you only get one use out of em. If it was used and your still there to talk about it then I guess it was worth every penny.

Give the helmet to any neighbor with young kids, they love to play with them. Basically your helmet is a broken peice of fiberglass once its been down. Thats one reason why I love HJC, great helmets, at a reasonable price. If I go down I dont even feel bad discarding it + I get to buy a new one :)

Tom
While an interesting thought, I would not "give" that helmet to anyone. Because, imo, inevitably, someone will try to wear it and possibly on a motorcycle or even a bicycle. (Hey ya'll, watch this! I got a helmet and I'm Evel Knievel....) and the helmet is already compromised.

I fiannly decided to throw my crash-involved helmet away. Even though it looked spotless, it was getting old (1998) and I couldn't SEE any damage, but knew that it was involved with me in the crash. So I spray painted X's on it and beat it with a hammer till I was satisfied that MAybe, just maybe, no one would wear it. I was impressed with how it held up to the hammer. Busted some of the finish off, and finally cracked the 'glass after several strikes.

Randy

#16 ·
rando said:
While an interesting thought, I would not "give" that helmet to anyone. Because, imo, inevitably, someone will try to wear it and possibly on a motorcycle or even a bicycle. (Hey ya'll, watch this! I got a helmet and I'm Evel Knievel....) and the helmet is already compromised.

I fiannly decided to throw my crash-involved helmet away. Even though it looked spotless, it was getting old (1998) and I couldn't SEE any damage, but knew that it was involved with me in the crash. So I spray painted X's on it and beat it with a hammer till I was satisfied that MAybe, just maybe, no one would wear it. I was impressed with how it held up to the hammer. Busted some of the finish off, and finally cracked the 'glass after several strikes.

Randy
When I crashed 2 years ago, my insurance covered my gear. I had to bring it to the adjuster for inspection. He cut the chin straps off of the helmet and gave it back to me. He said that with no straps, it rendered the helmet unwearable.

#17 ·
On the LT I have worn a full face, a 3/4 face, and I now wear a flip-up.
I tried riding the bike around the block without a helmet when I went to pick it up in Florida... It felt freaky to me as I have been wearing helmets since I was 14 (some would say that explains my hair style...:rotf:).

#18 ·
sorchilla said:
Only a Frechman would be concerend about fashion on a motorcycle.
Doesn't mean he's a bad person, however! :D

#22 ·
ATGATT - After seeing a friends full face helmet after he went down, I got rid of my 3/4 helmets and bought the wife and I full face ones. His chin piece on his full face was the first to hit and it cracked. The thought of the same thing without a full face scared the sh*t out of me.

#24 ·
I've done a lot of research on helments and talked with a few manufacturers. They all recommend that you replace your helmet every 3 years even if it was never dropped. This is becuase the padding inside compresses over time and and won't provide the snug fit necessary for protection. Also, if you drop your helment from a height of 3 feet or more, you should replace it even it you don't see any damage.

Also, from what I have found out, the only differences between a $500 helmet and a $70 helmet are non-safety features like paint schemes, padding, and vents. And definitely, full face helmets all the way. I know people that wear full face helmets when riding long distances and switch to open face or shorties in town. The pavement and a vehicle can do just as much damage in town as it can on an interstate.

Be safe everyone!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.