Replacement for my '99 LT.... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Mar 18th, 2008, 9:41 am Thread Starter

Replacement for my '99 LT....

There still is alot of life left in my '99 LT with only 43,000 miles on it. But the way I had figured it, I'll pay off mine and my wife's trucks in about 3 years and I would look then at buying a new LT. But with all the speculation of would there even be an LT at that time, I had kinda settled that I'd find a used '07 or '08 and ride it for ten years. Until I found this..
http://www.polarisindustries.com/en-...on/Experience/

This just might be my new bike if BMW does let the LT line go.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1999 K1200LT since April 2006
2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Nov. 1999-April 2006
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Mar 18th, 2008, 11:54 am

Re: Replacement for my '99 LT....

Loved the accompanying music, but, the bike is to "Jetsons" for me.

Hopefully BMW will stop ignoring this class of riders and get some LT Excitement going again.

2005 KLT "Old Blue"

Bruno the "Bugg"

Democracy will only exist until 51% of the population believes they can live off the other 49% .
post #3 of 9 Old Mar 18th, 2008, 2:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmattingly
There still is alot of life left in my '99 LT with only 43,000 miles on it. But the way I had figured it, I'll pay off mine and my wife's trucks in about 3 years and I would look then at buying a new LT. But with all the speculation of would there even be an LT at that time, I had kinda settled that I'd find a used '07 or '08 and ride it for ten years. Until I found this..
http://www.polarisindustries.com/en-...on/Experience/

This just might be my new bike if BMW does let the LT line go.
If we weren't on the LT, that's what the boss lady and I would be riding. Comfy, comfy, comfy! And well made. As to the styling: It looks fine to me from the saddle.

You can read my review of a demo ride here

-----------------------------------------

The word motorcycle is a verb.

2005 K1200LT "Rolf"
2007 Moto Guzzi Norge

post #4 of 9 Old Mar 18th, 2008, 2:49 pm Thread Starter

Good Review!

When the time comes, I'll be looking at the LT and the Vision. Thanks for the review!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 9 Old Mar 18th, 2008, 5:26 pm

I like the Vision too, but without ABS, she is a no no for me.

John
Florida
2004 BMW R1150R Black
Contact me 4 motor training 1&1
Expert witness in motorcycle crash reconstruction (Contact me)
post #6 of 9 Old Mar 19th, 2008, 2:25 pm

The Victory Vision is a nice bike. I went on a 45 minute test ride on the same route I had just traveled on my 02 LTC. Here is what I thought.....

Unusual looks. Love it or leave it depending on the person. I kind of liked it , different for sure. Paint very nice. Details and trim very nice.

Fired her up and she sounds really nice , loping V Twin sound. Low speed handling (read , in the parking lot) was good , being much better than my LT , less top heavy feeling. Throttle response was good and the engine produces good low end torque and decent top end power (they are putting down about what our early LT's do ~85 rwhp). Resonably smooth though not like our LT's. Gear box worked decently but with more of a clunk (typical for Victories). Loped down the highway nicely.

Low seat height. Comfortable feet forward riding position. Lots of room to move about. Lots of nice features like cruise , decent radio, electric screen etc. Pretty good cornering clearance, thought it would be worse. Nice ride as well.

NO CENTERSTAND ?!?!?!!? NO ABS!?!?!?!!? These are BIG misses IMHO....

Side bags appear larger than they are.

Was definitely a nice ride but not my cup of tea. Really did nothing that my LT cant do at least as well except for low speed handling and different riding position. Not cheap either.....over $20K

A newer K12LTC is head and shoulders better. Power centerstand, almost TWENTY more hp, more features, ABS......no contest in my book.

Only bike that gives the LT a run is the Wing.....better in some ways , not as good in others.

"Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul."

2002 K1200LTC

Owner

post #7 of 9 Old Mar 19th, 2008, 8:35 pm Thread Starter

I would love to ride the Vision to see for myself. I'm not saying I'm trading in my LT today, but if BMW doesn't keep up with the LT past 2010, the Vision is my next leading candidate.

post #8 of 9 Old Mar 19th, 2008, 10:29 pm

Talking Re: Replacement for my '99 LT....

Rode one at the Sturgis Rally, engine heat unbearable, fit and finish subpar, knees higher than seat, which should limit distance, not a BMW, and Victories suffer from severe depreciation. Just an opinion!
post #9 of 9 Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 7:08 am Thread Starter

But on the other hand, I wouldn't have to worry about that eventual blowout of the final drive and the oil leak by the rear tire. Or if you do any type of work on it, the instructions don't start off, "remove the mirrors." The Vision's rear brake disc isn't free floating and rattle like the whole rear end is falling apart....

I hope the LT line is continued past 2009. I'm not doing anything until about 3 years from now. I'll see what's out there then. Thanks for the input!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in