Roadseeing In Sd/colorado - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Mar 1st, 2008, 2:23 pm Thread Starter

Roadseeing In Sd/colorado

Hello All

My wife and I are going to Rapid City SD for three days of riding then onto Colorado Springs for a couple of days this June. Any can't miss roads in those areas? And there seems like a lot of them in my research.

Thanks
Glen
Litchfield OHIO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Mar 1st, 2008, 2:57 pm

Re: Roadseeing In Sd/colorado

Glen, I have ridden the roads to the north and west of Colo Springs over the summer bagging mountain passes for the Colorado BMW Club 50 Pass Bagger pin. I like Hwy 14 west of Fort Collins along the Cache La Poudre river as well as highway 34 going thru Rocky Mtn National Park. I also like Hwy 9 from Breckenridge to Hwy 24 which takes you to Colo Springs. I usually try to avoid the traffic going thru Denver so you might consider driving to Laramie, Wyoming and take either Hwy 287 to Hwy 14 or Hwy 230 over the Medicine Bow Mtns.
Best of Luck,
Jim
post #3 of 10 Old Mar 1st, 2008, 4:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenhinegardner
Hello All

My wife and I are going to Rapid City SD for three days of riding then onto Colorado Springs for a couple of days this June. Any can't miss roads in those areas? And there seems like a lot of them in my research.

Thanks
Glen
Litchfield OHIO
Needles Hwy. in SD is a must if you like twisty mountain roads.

2005 Graphite
The only way to live is in the wind....

post #4 of 10 Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 3:25 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by the1mavin
Needles Hwy. in SD is a must if you like twisty mountain roads.

I agree you have to do Needles Hwy.(or 87 hwy), my wife and I did this trip last year...absolutely loved Needles Hwy. The great thing about this whole area is that you can drive the loop easily or take your time. But Needles or 87 hwy is the must see!

Wade
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

99 K-1200LT
82 Yamaha Virago (Girl of my youth)

"No one knows as much as all of us do." --General George Patton

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 6:45 pm

For a very comprehensive view of mc riding in Colorado, check out www.cohcc.org. Click on Ride Calendar, and look at this years and past years scheduled rides. All come complete with maps and gps coordinates. Great bunch of guys; if you post a question, they will answer. I rode with them for years prior to moving to California.

Raymond

Raymond Dell'Olio
Bronx, NY
718-530-5793
2000 K1200LT (Sold)

"A nation of sheep,
Owned by pigs,
Ruled by wolves."

post #6 of 10 Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 6:58 pm

Glen let a fellow Ohioan how and what you find.
My wife and I are planning a 2 week trip out west next year so any info would be graetly appreciated.

Thanks Quohog

Quohog

Tomorrow is promised to no one!
1993 Honda CBR1000F
2001 K1200LTC (sold)
2004 K1200LT (replaced 01)
2005 Yamaha Road Star (gone)
2009 Harley Road King Classic
2009 Harley Ultra Classic.
post #7 of 10 Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 8:23 pm

Area around Rapid, Northern Colorado and C-springs - all areas with GREAT roads. Getting from N. CO to C-springs - listen to someone else. I know there're godd rides there - but that's outside my circle.

Problem is what's in between Rapid and N. CO. You've a long chunk-o-road to cover from SD to the Ft. Collins area - get it over with. More enjoyable route I'd run is:

Rapid City, SD (do the needles - take the time - plan an extra day if you have to - it's worth it)
Newcastle, WY
Casper, WY (stop by some lunch or an oil change - holler first!)
Medicine Bow, WY (Home of the "Virginian Motel")
Saratoga, WY (hit the hot springs).
Riverside, WY
Then South to the Back roads of Colorado to C-springs.

You'll likely find small towns along the way at most every highway intersection. Each will have it's own color, but likely very light on 'attractions'. You'll do well to find gas 'n snacks outside of the 'bigger' places I've listed.

Way the Interstates go - you won't save much appreciable time by running down I-25 from Casper to Cheyenne and across to Saratoga. But, if you've a thin for 'super-slabs' - it works.

I was born and raised in Laramie, my folks still live there. Highway 287 to 14 is a road I'm reluctant to take in a cage. We call that piece of road the 'Meat Grinder' due to all the traffic accident and fatalities there. Google up the stories of the UW track team, professors and others that've died there. Big effort going on to fix it up somehow. The road from Laramie to Saratoga over the Snowy Range - wonderful. Stop in at Centenial and have a GREAT steak dinner at The Old Corral Hotel & Steakhouse.

Check this site for free PDF highway maps.

Tate

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and

post #8 of 10 Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 10:57 pm

Smile Re: Roadseeing In Sd/colorado

We ride these roads in the Black Hills every weekend and you really can not miss on any of them. They all twist and are well traveled by many motorcyclist during the summer. I would recommend the following roads.
-Vanocker Canyon - South out of Sturgis, 1st Exit from east, may be the best 14 miles to run at a quick pace anywhere.
-Spearfish Canyon - South out of Spearfish, 1st Exit from east, go early before traffic slows you up, great road, beautiful canyon scenery, Bridal Falls, about 23 miles to highway 85. Left you can go to Lead/Deadwood or right to Newcastle, Wy through Ice Box Canyon, another gorgeous run. Stop at Cheyenne Crossing for breakfast or lunch, end of Spearfish Canyon, usually very busy.
-Nemo Road - Hard to find from Rapid City, but a great run.
-Iron Mountain Road - Starts just outside of Keystone at the bottom of Mt. Rushmore. Pigtails, tunnels and views of Mt. Rushmore, as good as Needles Highway and less expensive.
-Needles Highway - runs through Custer State Park, either start at Sylvan Lake and run east and south or start on the south end of 87.
-Old Hill City Road - runs from Hill City to Keystone - follows 1880 train run, over the tracks many times.
-Stop in Hill City and eat at Alpine Inn - simple menu, but very tasty.

When we travel south to Colorado Springs we take Highway 71 out of Hot Springs, run south all the way through Nebraska into Colorado down to Highway 24 which connects to Colorado Springs. The road is so desolate in so many places, it gives you another perspective on this great land of ours.

Hope this helps!
post #9 of 10 Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 6:49 am

Don't forget the road in the state park with the ranger station at the top. Highest point in S.D.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sturgis hill top 1.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	16922  
post #10 of 10 Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 6:55 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for all the response, I picked up our trailer today from Elkhart Ind. and I got the hitch via UPS so now I can work on getting it installed and wired. all I need is some good weather, although it was 60+ degrees here today. forcast for Tues 30 with rain/sleet/snow you gotta be tough to live in Ohio.

But I am getting excited about this trip, can't wait.

Glen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in