XM or Sirius Radio? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old Feb 26th, 2008, 12:44 pm Thread Starter

Cool XM or Sirius Radio?

I've read the previous posts and would be interested in the experience out there with reception in mountain areas as well as big tree country. I know there won't be perfect reception, but I'm wondering if one satellite location is better than the other.

Denny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old Feb 26th, 2008, 1:01 pm

Smile Re: XM or Sirius Radio?

I am sure both have their faults, I use xm due to the fact that I can use my radio on my bike, car and at work, I found that I lost reception in a building with Sirius, was told that it had something to do with the antenna on the radios, so I switched to xm and never had a problem inside. I do lose reception in the mtns, but it is a satellite radio.
post #3 of 18 Old Feb 26th, 2008, 1:34 pm

Re: XM or Sirius Radio?

I've had both in the car and only XM on Dream Girl. I would agree with Sheldan2, that XM has a better coverage than Sirius inside (garage while working on the bike). My only suggestion would be to consider where you mount the antenna. I had the antenna under the nose cone, and would lose signal with the slightest tree coverage or hilly terrain. I moved it to a home-made mount behind the unit mounted on the left handlebar and very had the same type of issue again.

2005 LT- Dream Girl
2003 Honda Shadow

post #4 of 18 Old Feb 26th, 2008, 1:50 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

I like Sirius only because of the programing. I have XM at home with Direct TV. and it's just OK to me. I mounted my antenia on my top case (no rack to block it) and get good reception.

Stevie Shreeve
post #5 of 18 Old Feb 26th, 2008, 4:14 pm

I have Sirius.

Theoretically, as long as the antenna has a clear view of the sky you should get great reception anywhere in the country.

I lose mine in the trees quite often. In the larger cities, Sirius broadcasts a traditional radio signal to prevent a loss of signal due to buildings blocking the view of the sky. The same antenna that picks up the satellite picks up this signal as well.

If the merger ever goes through, the decision my be moot.

Joe
2005 BMW K1200LT
2007 Ducati Monster S4Rs
post #6 of 18 Old Feb 26th, 2008, 4:32 pm

i run de seriouz radieo wiff anntenna mounted on top of tour pac putter on de bluegrass show and hear we go
post #7 of 18 Old Feb 26th, 2008, 4:39 pm

I was an exclusive XM listener (home, portable, Lexus, Harley Ultra Classic) and I loved the coverage and programming. To my surprise, I traded the Lexus for a BMW X5 and now have Sirius.

I am headed to Florida for a few weeks and will see first hand the Sirius coverage so I am not too familiar with that item at this time. But one thing for sure, their 70's programming (ya) is superior from my point of view. Their traffic/weather is equal. I am worried about not covering Major League Baseball and Hockey...my favorites.
post #8 of 18 Old Feb 26th, 2008, 4:57 pm

I have OEM XM in my Honda Ridgeline pickup truck for about 1 year.
I have had Sirius radio for 2-3 years, the receiver was in my prior vehicle, now it is dedicated to my bikes and resides in the Chicane tank bag of the KLT.

I have not noticed any significant difference in coverage. Here in the Green Mountains of Vermont (Verte Mont! "Green Mountians!" as exclaimed by explorer Samuel D. Champlain upon seeing this area for the first time). The same hills that block XM also block Sirius; I notice no difference in reception.

I will say that I like Sirius programming better than XM. Very subjective but when I run the channels on Sirius I find music I like, when I run XM channels I find I keep searching. I am 55 years old, born in 1953, and do tend to tune to the 60's and 70's channels. YMMV.

If I could, I'd swap out the XM in the Ridgeline for a Sirius receiver. Even today, I was thinking of moving the Sirius receiver to the Ridgeline.
post #9 of 18 Old Feb 26th, 2008, 5:07 pm

I used to compare notes with a coworker who had Sirius in his car. I have XM on my LT, first with a SkiFi2 and now with a Zumo/GXM-30. We park in a concrete garage next to our building. He would lose reception as soon as he pulled into the garage. My XM always keeps its signal (although I do lose the GPS signal in the garage).

The XM signal is spotty when I ride in the mountains of Western North Carolina. For some reason there are spots in the midlands and even near the SC coast when I lose signal, even though the terrain is flat with no trees close to the roadway.

I don't have any experience with Sirius in the mountains to make a comparison.
post #10 of 18 Old Feb 26th, 2008, 5:11 pm

XM. I have had it sice they started broadcastng. I enjoy it because of the baseball coverage. Every game during the regular season plus ch 175 is baseball talk 24/7 365 days. Plus I really have a strong dislike for Howard Stern and really do not want to pay for his salary. I have 6 radios. One on the bike, factory installed in Tahoe, Wifes cars and both brothers. I pay for thier subscription as birthday gifts.

2005 R1200GS (to be named)

2005 K1200LT Gretchen traded in for GS

MOA # 118981
MSF Instructor

My Photo Gallery

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #11 of 18 Old Feb 26th, 2008, 5:18 pm

Talking Re: XM or Sirius Radio?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lzyellodog
XM. I have had it sice they started broadcastng. I enjoy it because of the baseball coverage. Every game during the regular season plus ch 175 is baseball talk 24/7 365 days. Plus I really have a strong dislike for Howard Stern and really do not want to pay for his salary. I have 6 radios. One on the bike, factory installed in Tahoe, Wifes cars and both brothers. I pay for thier subscription as birthday gifts.
Yo, bro! My birthday is in October!

'07 - R1200RT Slippery Silver

MOA #107139
RA #28511

Past rides:
'03 R1150RT - MAXed out
'03 K1200LTC - Gone to the Darko side
'00 Kawasaki Concours - Buzz
'71 Honda SL350 - The original dual-sport
'72 Kawasaki 250 triple - The smoking gun
'67 Montgomery Wards 125 - Thrashed to death
post #12 of 18 Old Feb 26th, 2008, 6:01 pm

This is where I put mine.
I get good reception everywhere.
With some loss in the mountains. Ususally it blanks out like bleeping out a dirty word on the radio.

From rental experience, I think Sirius has better music.

I have XM.

Visit
_ Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but always enough time to do it over?
post #13 of 18 Old Feb 26th, 2008, 6:59 pm

Garage

I bought the Sirius unit to listen to Howard Stern in the AM (sorry, a guilty pleasure) but I kept it because of the music. I can listen to the New Country station or the Blues or Garage Band or even Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville. I don't even carry my ipod anymore.

It works great!

I use the Hoon Hardware Mount on the clutch reservoir.

As you can see, the antennae tucks in very nicely. As other have said, I occasionally lose the signal in the trees. Never in the truck (except in tunnels), only on the bike. Go figure!

Someone else on the board found a metal L shape bracket that attaches to the stick antennae mount that pushes the satellite antennae out slightly away from the bike. I might help get better reception.

Rob V.B.
2015 Triumph Explorer 1200
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)

2002 BMW R1150 traded for 2002 Yamaha FZ1 traded for a 2003 GSXR 750

post #14 of 18 Old Feb 28th, 2008, 11:39 am Thread Starter

Cool Re: XM or Sirius Radio?

Thanks much for all the great feedback and photos. Much appreciated.

Denny
post #15 of 18 Old Feb 29th, 2008, 1:12 am

XM right above the O.E.M. radio display.
Antenna on a custom mount 3/4 the way up the FM antenna mast in the rear.

GREAT reception overall.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LT console shots #2 002.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	16877   Click image for larger version

Name:	LT console shots #2 003.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	125.4 KB
ID:	16878  

"00" Canyon Red LTI ~ Well Farklized ~ Bug Splattered
Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

T
wisties Required

post #16 of 18 Old Feb 29th, 2008, 8:39 am
KIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVB1019

As you can see, the antennae tucks in very nicely. ....
I was looking at your avatar in the top left corner to see the antenna.....and I can't even see the bike !

PROUD FATHER OF A MILITARY DAUGHTER !.
She's for sale
SOLD 7-19-08 [url]

There are those who ride BMW's.. and those who wish they did.

Ron's R11/1 Vergasser's - 1st Wingman

Sophmore : BMWLT - University of Luxury Touring Education

2000 K1200LTC Champagne SOLD 7-08
2006 KLR 650 - RED- The fast dual sport color !
2002 TW 200 - White/Blue - #1,The wife's CRF replacement.
2002 TW 200 - WhiteBlue - #2, My matching toy
2001 XT 225 - White/Blue - Sold 7/08
92 K75S Red and fast (sadly gone)

Yamaha YZ 250 for the dirt ( still good use for a smokin' 2-stroke !) In critical care 4/08
Honda CRF 230F - Wifey's dirt fun. (Sold)
Many Honda 750 F's (May they Rest In Peace)
post #17 of 18 Old Feb 29th, 2008, 11:35 am Thread Starter

Cool Re: XM or Sirius Radio?

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead
XM right above the O.E.M. radio display.
Antenna on a custom mount 3/4 the way up the FM antenna mast in the rear.

GREAT reception overall.
Intrigued by the antenna mount - where did you get the orange platform and how much wind drag does it have with the XM antenna mounted on it?

Denny
post #18 of 18 Old Feb 29th, 2008, 5:42 pm

I am a HUGE fan of Sirius. Really great music, talk, news, traffic and
sports. I have it in my car and on my LT. My antenna is mounted on the
rack on my top case. I tried the rear antenna mount but I think it is too
low for West Coast riders. The signal disappeared when I rode one direction and was clear the other way.

I would like the convenience of the Hoon antenna mount on the f.brake
side. Anyone getting acceptable signal strength with this set up?

The signal fades in the car just like the bike. Trees, skyscrapers, tunnels,
overpasses, parking garages are all signal killers. I still love my Sirius.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in