Are U Packin'? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 57 Old Feb 23rd, 2008, 7:16 pm Thread Starter
Mister Moto

Are U Packin'?

It seems the adventurous spirit that calls to us to ride bikes also evokes the "cowboy" in us and many I've met choose to carry "personal protection" when they travel. I myself have a carry permit that I rarely need unless I'm traveling a good distance from home. Now that I'm planning some trips this summer on my new LT I wonder if others "carry" as well and have any advice when traveling long distances and crossing numerous state lines?

God bless the USA!

>K-daug

aka: studio4design
'06 LT "Shamu"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 57 Old Feb 23rd, 2008, 7:34 pm

Re: Are U Packin'?

Of course, the obvious advice is to check the laws of the states you will be visiting. You may not be allowed to carry, even if just passing though. And some states consider it a Concealed Weapon, even if it's in your luggage.

Be Safe.

Jim
-------------------
2000 Canyon Red K1200LT (new to me)
1980 Susuki 850GL (given to my brother)
post #3 of 57 Old Feb 23rd, 2008, 7:54 pm

I've got a Remington 12 gauge pump under the bed, a 9mm Beretta with several clips in the office, and a 38 S&W snub nose in a "conceal" book on the living room coffee table. Oh yeah, and an aluminum baseball bat rolling around somewhere...

Am I paranoid? I dunno. I like to think I'm prepared - but then again I only live 90 miles from the Mexican border... and grew up with guns in the house since Dad was career FBI. His advice was to always make damn sure that I kill anyone in a home invasion since dead men tell no tales.

I never carry anything more interesting than my trusty (large) Buck knife on the bike when I travel - a heater just seems to "ruin the moment."

To me, carrying when riding is just plain weird - sorry. Isn't the whole point of riding to get away from the "real world" for a while?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"

post #4 of 57 Old Feb 23rd, 2008, 7:57 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
To me, carrying when riding is just plain weird -
Yes, it's weird....

till that moment when you need it.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #5 of 57 Old Feb 23rd, 2008, 8:04 pm

For many ,many years I carried a 25 caliber something or other clipped to my boot. It was my security blanket away from home. Do whatever makes you feel comfortable. Just remember if you take it out be prepared to use it. don't bluff or you will be eating your weapon.
post #6 of 57 Old Feb 23rd, 2008, 9:13 pm

k-daug:

There is an interesting long winded thread regarding carrying in the Chitchat sub-forum below. I personally never leave home without it. As for traveling/carrying, the best source of info I have found is "The Travelers Guide to the Firearms Laws of the Fifty States", which costs $13 something and is updated every year (I get one every couple of years just to stay current). You can get it on-line at WWW.gunlawguide.com or from Travelers Guide, P.O. Box 2156, Covington, KY 41012.

The info could save you some aggravation while on the road. It covers each state, how to deal with LEO's, motorcycle transport of firearms if you don't have a concealed carry permit, etc. In the few states that don't allow concealed carry I stop at the state line, unload, lock the weapon in the side case and hold my breath until I cross into a civilized state.

Steve
post #7 of 57 Old Feb 23rd, 2008, 9:29 pm Thread Starter
Mister Moto

Thumbs up Re: Are U Packin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hendsv
k-daug:

There is an interesting long winded thread regarding carrying in the Chitchat sub-forum below. I personally never leave home without it. As for traveling/carrying, the best source of info I have found is "The Travelers Guide to the Firearms Laws of the Fifty States", which costs $13 something and is updated every year (I get one every couple of years just to stay current). You can get it on-line at WWW.gunlawguide.com or from Travelers Guide, P.O. Box 2156, Covington, KY 41012.

The info could save you some aggravation while on the road. It covers each state, how to deal with LEO's, motorcycle transport of firearms if you don't have a concealed carry permit, etc. In the few states that don't allow concealed carry I stop at the state line, unload, lock the weapon in the side case and hold my breath until I cross into a civilized state.

Steve

Excellent! Exactly the info I was looking for...thanks.

>K-daug

'06 LT "Shamu"

post #8 of 57 Old Feb 23rd, 2008, 9:49 pm

Enjoy it while you can, if the Democrats get it back none of us except the criminals will have them anymore.
post #9 of 57 Old Feb 23rd, 2008, 10:00 pm

Garage

Here's that thread from last year:

Clicky-Clicky

Rob V.B.
2015 Triumph Explorer 1200
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)

2002 BMW R1150 traded for 2002 Yamaha FZ1 traded for a 2003 GSXR 750

post #10 of 57 Old Feb 23rd, 2008, 10:14 pm
KIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by hendsv
k-daug:

Steve
Steve,

Thanks for the link. Just ordered mine from that link. Ironically I just got back from "riding it (LT) like I stole it" with my 9mm tucked in my belt due to a weird situation at my other house while my son is out of town.

I know more states are finally becoming reciprocal on the Arizona CCW Permit. Which now reminds me, I think mine expires this year.

Ron, thanks for the advanced warning not to piss you off next time I'm over !

This was current to 2006 http://www.ccrkba.org/reciprocity.html

Arizona Reciprical States on CCW Permits: AK, AR, CO, DE, FL*, ID, IN, KY, LA, MI*, MO, MT, NC, ND, NM, OH, OK, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, WY

PROUD FATHER OF A MILITARY DAUGHTER !.
She's for sale
SOLD 7-19-08 [url]

There are those who ride BMW's.. and those who wish they did.

Ron's R11/1 Vergasser's - 1st Wingman

Sophmore : BMWLT - University of Luxury Touring Education

2000 K1200LTC Champagne SOLD 7-08
2006 KLR 650 - RED- The fast dual sport color !
2002 TW 200 - White/Blue - #1,The wife's CRF replacement.
2002 TW 200 - WhiteBlue - #2, My matching toy
2001 XT 225 - White/Blue - Sold 7/08
92 K75S Red and fast (sadly gone)

Yamaha YZ 250 for the dirt ( still good use for a smokin' 2-stroke !) In critical care 4/08
Honda CRF 230F - Wifey's dirt fun. (Sold)
Many Honda 750 F's (May they Rest In Peace)

Last edited by KIC; Feb 23rd, 2008 at 10:41 pm.
post #11 of 57 Old Feb 23rd, 2008, 10:27 pm

I usually carry a .45 auto when I ride in Michigan...unless I'm planning on going to Canada.

Which brings me to a question that I've had for awhile now. When riding in Alaska, I would really like to have some protection handy...large enough calibre that would stop a bear or at least a wolf if need be. How do you get it across Canada?

Dave
'06 K1200LT
'93 K1100LT (Hers)
AMA #956231
BMWMOA #130553
post #12 of 57 Old Feb 23rd, 2008, 10:43 pm
KIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbushey
I usually carry a .45 auto when I ride in Michigan...unless I'm planning on going to Canada.

Which brings me to a question that I've had for awhile now. When riding in Alaska, I would really like to have some protection handy...large enough calibre that would stop a bear or at least a wolf if need be. How do you get it across Canada?
Very quietly and with a smile.

(Sorry ..couldn't resist)

She's for sale
SOLD 7-19-08 [url]

Yamaha YZ 250 for the dirt ( still good use for a smokin' 2-stroke !) In critical care 4/08
post #13 of 57 Old Feb 23rd, 2008, 10:51 pm

You Don't.

Craig Hutchison
02 Pac Blue (Aka Blue Ox)
34 14 12.63 N
119 01 21.64 W

Why coast through Life when you can Corner it.
post #14 of 57 Old Feb 23rd, 2008, 11:11 pm
Hog

Don't leave home without it. Don't become a statistic. I have a Nevada CCW and a Utah permit which allows me to carry most everywhere I go. I try and stay out of the republic of Mexifornia but if I do happen to cross the stateline I don't worry much about it.
Dave
post #15 of 57 Old Feb 23rd, 2008, 11:46 pm

Have a Texas CHL and carry a 40 cal Beretta if I work late. When the Katrina folks moved to Houston, they started to follow business people home from the office or place of business and hold them up in the drive way. Also would watch the Sam's parking lot and follow and hold up the ones that had bought cartons of cigs for there stores. I do work for the Stafford Police department and they suggested that I get a CHL. I did and then took the Sugar Land Citizens Police Academy 12 week course to get their point of view on crime. Sugar Land is the 5th safest city over 75,000 in USA.

Link for Texas CHL reciprocity http://www.txchia.org/recip.htm

Buy the way, the two guys that were shot and killed by the homeowner in Pasadena were part of a ring that prayed on business owners. They were questioning the lady get-a-way driver from a home invasion and murder in Fulsher (West of Houston) and she let it slip that she knew them,

Ride 'em if you got 'em.
post #16 of 57 Old Feb 24th, 2008, 12:01 am

Speaking of Kalifornia - I'm going there this summer to visit my son who lives on the Naval Base at Lemoore, CA.

I think I remember I would have to unload and lock up a hand gun before crossing into Kalifornia but what to do with it and where to leave it before going on the Naval base has me stumped.

I'm sure not going to try to sneak it in there! Any ideas? I've thought maybe he'll have a friend off base and I could lock it up disassembled and store it with someone off base while we're there.

I'm open to suggestions!

Joe

EncoreJoe

"Ride, boldly ride, ... If you seek for Eldorado!"

'10 Triumph Tiger 1050
post #17 of 57 Old Feb 24th, 2008, 12:39 am
KIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog
Don't leave home without it. Don't become a statistic. I have a Nevada CCW and a Utah permit which allows me to carry most everywhere I go. I try and stay out of the republic of Mexifornia but if I do happen to cross the stateline I don't worry much about it.
Dave
So how do you qualify for a permit in another state without being a resident ?

She's for sale
SOLD 7-19-08 [url]

post #18 of 57 Old Feb 24th, 2008, 7:38 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIC
Many states have non-resident CPL permits, although there are a few states that will not reciprocate with a non-resident permit that would with a resident permit.

Dave
'06 K1200LT
'93 K1100LT (Hers)
AMA #956231
BMWMOA #130553
post #19 of 57 Old Feb 24th, 2008, 8:55 am

I don't even own a gun.
post #20 of 57 Old Feb 24th, 2008, 9:39 am
Senior Member (ret.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIC

Utah CCW for non-residents. It has reciprocity in several states.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy
post #21 of 57 Old Feb 24th, 2008, 9:42 am
Senior Member (ret.)

Ship the gun to Federal Firearms Licensee (FFL) in Alaska. When you get there, pick it up for the trip. Do the same on the way back.

Not sure about handgun laws in Alaska. You might want to contact an FFL in Alaska and enquire.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy
post #22 of 57 Old Feb 24th, 2008, 9:48 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaffyK
Utah CCW for non-residents. It has reciprocity in several states.
Including Tejas!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #23 of 57 Old Feb 24th, 2008, 9:50 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by EncoreJoe
Speaking of Kalifornia - I'm going there this summer to visit my son who lives on the Naval Base at Lemoore, CA.

I think I remember I would have to unload and lock up a hand gun before crossing into Kalifornia but what to do with it and where to leave it before going on the Naval base has me stumped.

I'm sure not going to try to sneak it in there! Any ideas? I've thought maybe he'll have a friend off base and I could lock it up disassembled and store it with someone off base while we're there.

I'm open to suggestions!

Joe
The only problem with having your weapon in your vehicle while gaining entrance to a military installation, is that you are subject to a random search. Depending upon the level of security being enforced, which is generally commensurate with the type of installation you are entering (i.e., is it a nuclear sub or aircraft carrier base with highly classified restricted areas and/or activities versus a training base with moms, dads, girlfriends, etc. coming and going all the time for graduation ceremonies and general visiting?) will determine the level of scrutiny when you go through the gate. If it's the latter, I would pack it away and not worry about it. But if it's the former, then all bets are off and if you happen to be subjected to a detailed random search and a weapon is found, even if you have a CCW permit, realize it is a felony and you are in for an ugly legal hassel. The good news is, that most bases these days will run the convex mirror under the vehicle and that's about it. Personally, if it's a high security base...your son will know...I would leave it at a friend's or family member's house and pick it up later. The military is being really weird about privately owned weapons these days, for reasons that defy logic if you ask me, but unfortunately that's the way it is.

Al Hennigan
'03 Anthracite LTE
'09 GS Adventure
Middle Tennessee
post #24 of 57 Old Feb 24th, 2008, 10:00 am
Hog

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIC
I just sent in my Utah CCW application along with my $49.00 and a copy of my Nevada CCW. If you have a Calif. CCW you can get your Nevada CCW. simply by taking an 8 hr. course (in Nevada) and submitting your paper work. But not visa-versa. Dave
post #25 of 57 Old Feb 24th, 2008, 10:04 am

Mexico does not allow at all. In my opinion you would not need it if you stay out of trouble anyway :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-daug
It seems the adventurous spirit that calls to us to ride bikes also evokes the "cowboy" in us and many I've met choose to carry "personal protection" when they travel. I myself have a carry permit that I rarely need unless I'm traveling a good distance from home. Now that I'm planning some trips this summer on my new LT I wonder if others "carry" as well and have any advice when traveling long distances and crossing numerous state lines?

God bless the USA!

Matt Kas

13 Triumph Trophy SE Lunar Silver
12 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive Pearl White

Laguna Niguel, Southern California (South Orange County)
"Riding Year around"

Last edited by MattKas; Feb 24th, 2008 at 10:06 am. Reason: edit
post #26 of 57 Old Feb 24th, 2008, 10:41 am

I have checked Packing.org for reciprocity in the states I intend to drive thru while riding my LT. Most of my time is spent in the Rocky Mountains and there is not a problem with reciprocity. My license is for Oklahoma and the other states recognize my right to carry a concealed weapon. I question whether carrying in a saddle bag is the same as on my body under my jacket. I live near an Army base and have for quite a long time gone on to the base to use the range when I want to shoot my rifle as well as my pistol. I have kept all weapons unloaded and in a separate case as well as in different locations from the ammunition. When I traveled to Canada I didn't carry the weapon but I believe the National parks in the US don't allow weapons either and I have probably at some time or another passed thru one of the parks with my weapon on board. Hopefully you will find a solution to your concerns allowing you to carry your weapon when you think it is necessary.
JWimberley
post #27 of 57 Old Feb 24th, 2008, 11:33 am

Natl' Parks Carry info

Pasted from USCCA forum:
National Park Carry
Good news everyone. This park carry issue is about to change.

Bush Administration to Propose New Rule
Regarding Right-to-Carry in National Parks
Friday, February 22, 2008
Fairfax, Va. - At the request of the Bush Administration and 51 members of the United States Senate led by Senator Mike Crapo (R-ID), the National Park Service and U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service prohibition of firearms on agency land will be revised in the following weeks. The National Rifle Association (NRA) is leading the effort to amend the existing policy regarding the carrying and transportation of firearms in National Parks and wildlife refuges.

"Law-abiding citizens should not be prohibited from protecting themselves and their families while enjoying America's National Parks and wildlife refuges," said Chris W. Cox, NRA chief lobbyist. "Under this proposal, federal parks and wildlife refuges will mirror the state firearm laws for state parks. This is an important step in the right direction."

These new regulations, when finalized, will provide uniformity across our nation's federal lands and put an end to the patchwork of regulations that governed different lands managed by different federal agencies. In the past, only Bureau of Land Management (BLM) and Forest Service lands allowed the carrying of firearms, while National Park lands did not.

The current regulations on possession, carry or transportation of loaded or uncased firearms in national parks were proposed in 1982 and finalized in 1983. Similar restrictions apply in national wildlife refuges. The NRA believes it is time to amend those regulations to reflect the changed legal situation with respect to state laws on carrying firearms.

The effect of these now-outdated regulations on people who carry firearms for self-protection was far from the forefront at the time these regulations were adopted. As of the end of 1982, only six states routinely allowed citizens to carry handguns for self-defense. Currently, 48 states have a process for issuance of licenses or permits to allow law-abiding citizens to legally carry firearms for self-defense.

The move for regulatory change by the Administration will restore the rights of law-abiding gun owners who wish to transport and carry firearms for lawful purposes in most National Park lands and will make the laws consistent with state law where these lands are located. Fifty-one U.S. Senators from both parties sent a letter to the Department of Interior late last year supporting the move to render state firearms laws applicable to National Park lands.

"These changes will respect the Second Amendment rights of honest citizens, and we look forward to the issuance of a final rule this year," concluded Cox.

-NRA-

Click Here to read Secretary Kempthorne's letter to Sen. Crapo

http://www.nraila.org/pdfs/KempthorneRTC.pdf

Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.

Thomas Jefferson
post #28 of 57 Old Feb 24th, 2008, 12:51 pm

One suggestion for a place to leave a weapon is with a gunsmith or gunshop, usually a small charge is assesed for storage but it will be available when you are ready to depart. This question came up with some friends traveling into Canada and Mexico with their RV. That was the answer I was given!

NOGILLS2

Booze Brother# 69
2003 K1200LTE "BEERBURNER" RIP 07/21/09
2006 Aluma Trailer "AFTERBURNER" SOLD
2007 ST1300ABS "Quicksilver"

post #29 of 57 Old Feb 24th, 2008, 2:42 pm

Quote:

You could alway mail your piece to a MailBoxes Etc. in Alaska and pick it up when you get there. I think this is perfectly legal?

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #30 of 57 Old Feb 24th, 2008, 3:10 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger6
The only problem with having your weapon in your vehicle while gaining entrance to a military installation, is that you are subject to a random search. Depending upon the level of security being enforced, which is generally commensurate with the type of installation you are entering (i.e., is it a nuclear sub or aircraft carrier base with highly classified restricted areas and/or activities versus a training base with moms, dads, girlfriends, etc. coming and going all the time for graduation ceremonies and general visiting?) will determine the level of scrutiny when you go through the gate. If it's the latter, I would pack it away and not worry about it. But if it's the former, then all bets are off and if you happen to be subjected to a detailed random search and a weapon is found, even if you have a CCW permit, realize it is a felony and you are in for an ugly legal hassel. The good news is, that most bases these days will run the convex mirror under the vehicle and that's about it. Personally, if it's a high security base...your son will know...I would leave it at a friend's or family member's house and pick it up later. The military is being really weird about privately owned weapons these days, for reasons that defy logic if you ask me, but unfortunately that's the way it is.
I'm not going to risk carrying it on base after what we saw at basic training graduation. All cars were lined up in three rows, everyone had to get out and they had full inspections and dogs sniffing each vehicle! I thought it was a little over the top for parents of graduating sailors who already had passes and authorization to be there for the graduation.

Anyway, after that I'm a little skittish. I may try finding a gun store to put it in while I'm there.

With the ban on lead, will I need to bring encapsulated or all copper bullets? Ha!

EncoreJoe

"Ride, boldly ride, ... If you seek for Eldorado!"

'10 Triumph Tiger 1050
post #31 of 57 Old Feb 24th, 2008, 3:23 pm

I'm sorry that I got a SC concealed carry permit. If I'm stopped by The Fuzz in one of the states that isn't reciprocal with SC, I understand they'll know that I have a SC CCW permit as soon as they enter my driver's license info into their computer. If they then ask if I'm carrying, I'm not going to lie to them when a quick pat-down will reveal the weapon. Result: problems.

If I didn't have a CCW permit from ANY state, then a routine police stop would be just that - routine, without The Fuzz ever knowing that I had a weapon on me. What part of "concealed" don't you understand ??? You ever been patted down in a police stop for speeding or any other traffic infraction, or during a routine check? I haven't. Result: no problems.

Mexico and Canada? Weapon stays home.

- Bob

Cowboy Bob Menton

Greenville SC USA
'07 K1200GT, '69 R60US (mint!)
'83 R80S (nee '83 R80RT)
"You can never escape the FOG (Fast Old Guys)"
post #32 of 57 Old Feb 24th, 2008, 4:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
Yes, it's weird....

till that moment when you need it.
I reckon you done what you done because you didn't know I was who I was.

And if I hadn't been who I was, I'd have still been much obliged for you to have done what you done.

(Stolen and hacked from another famous gun toter - Mr. Jed Clampett)

I know whatch' mean Grif - I went through a period in the 80's when I wouldn't leave home without my stainless J-frame tucked securely in my pants. Then I decided to get sumpin' bigger but it was a pain in the ass to haul around all the time. Then, I got me a freakin' MEAN dog - now I can leave the shootin' irons at home and NO one will dare mess with me now.

You can even see the DEVIL in his eyes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Emily's shower 017.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	16813  

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #33 of 57 Old Feb 24th, 2008, 4:21 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_menton
I'm sorry that I got a SC concealed carry permit. If I'm stopped by The Fuzz in one of the states that isn't reciprocal with SC, I understand they'll know that I have a SC CCW permit as soon as they enter my driver's license info into their computer. If they then ask if I'm carrying, I'm not going to lie to them when a quick pat-down will reveal the weapon. Result: problems.
At the risk of sounding like Mr. Do Gooder...if you go to a state that doesn't recognize your CPL, then you are breaking the law if you have a concealed pistol. I think that's pretty black and white. Don't carry where you aren't allowed to and you won't have any resulting problems.

The law is what it is. We don't have to like it or agree with it, but we should obey it until it gets changed.

Dave
'06 K1200LT
'93 K1100LT (Hers)
AMA #956231
BMWMOA #130553
post #34 of 57 Old Feb 24th, 2008, 4:27 pm

Only the LEO knows for sure.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #35 of 57 Old Feb 24th, 2008, 4:42 pm

Quote:
At the risk of sounding like Mr. Do Gooder...if you go to a state that doesn't recognize your CPL, then you are breaking the law if you have a concealed pistol. I think that's pretty black and white. Don't carry where you aren't allowed to and you won't have any resulting problems.

The law is what it is. We don't have to like it or agree with it, but we should obey it until it gets changed.
As long as your goal is to maintain the safety and security of the public (you), you can disobey any law you want. If that kind of thinking is good enough for the president, it's good enough for me.

Res ipsa loquitur, sed quid in infernos dicet?

Alan Stuber
2003 K1200 LTC Titan Silver
Austin, Texas

post #36 of 57 Old Feb 24th, 2008, 7:31 pm

Alan I love the picture of your attack dog
post #37 of 57 Old Feb 24th, 2008, 9:21 pm Thread Starter
Mister Moto

"F" this...this is way too complicated! I'm takin' my partner Rocky, he's legal and much more agreeable (just don't piss him off), if I can just get the pegs where he likes 'em!

Thanks for all the info guys...this forum is the best!

>Kevin

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rocky1.jpg
Views:	435
Size:	182.3 KB
ID:	16824  

>K-daug

'06 LT "Shamu"

post #38 of 57 Old Feb 24th, 2008, 10:48 pm

I have had my CCL (concealed carry license) for about a year now. I highly recommend that every one take and get their CCL, assuming that you do not have any felony convictions. A lot of horrible things are happening to a lot of good people these days and the Police are never around when you really need them. Besides, there is very little chance that they could ever get to you in time to prevent much at all from happening to you. Ultimately, YOUR PROTECTION AND YOUR FAMILYS PROTECTION IS IN YOUR HANDS. I hope that you don't place much faith in the 911 system. More and more of these systems are routing calls through answering services that put you on hold.

I never leave home without my Glock model 30 45 cal. With the economy tanking out car jackings, muggings, home invasions and all other kinds of assaults on good law abiding citizens are just going to keep getting worse and worse. One of my favorite sayings is: All that is needed for evil to triump, is for good men to do nothing. I have a good friend on the Sherifs Department here in NC and he is constantly telling me about how bad the gang activity is and how its growing at an alarming rate.

If you are going to travel out of your state you need to have with you a printed out list of all the states that honor your states CCL. LEOs are often not as informed regarding these matters as you might think. If you are traveling and one of the states that you will be passing through does not honor your permit, assuming that you have a CCL, then you simply need to stop prior to that state line and stow the weapon properly. Hopefully with noone able to view what you are doing. You should know in advance what is required for each state that you will passing through.

I try not to break the law regarding where I carry, but places like rest stops have become prime targets for criminals looking for easy prey and a lot of states do not allow concealed carry in rest stops. I am not saying you should break the law, just be aware of your surroundings at all times, because situational awareness is your greatest asset regarding your safety. The best thing to do is to never stop at a rest stop, especially at night.

Sorry for the rant.

Wayne Mann
05 Ocean Blue LT
Randleman NC
post #39 of 57 Old Feb 25th, 2008, 9:13 am

I don't worry about taking along a gun.. I would not like leaving it in the bike when I'm in a restaurant etc. that does not allow firearms.
Now if my wife ever came along, it might be another story. If it's just me, I don't think the LT is worth shooting someone over.
Last year I did have my fly rods with me on my trip to ID. I might have had a problem letting those go..

08 R1200GSA
04 K12LT (Sold)
97 R1100GS (Sold)
SS1000--IB # 32778

post #40 of 57 Old Feb 25th, 2008, 12:18 pm

Thumbs up Re: Are U Packin'?

I ride with protection in a case unloaded but in the locked pannier, the loaded clip is kept in the other pannier. In California that is within the law and considering that California is probably the dumbest, I mean most strict, when it comes to traveling with a firearm so I figure that's good enough.

I really don't worry about it much. If I were to ride in Mexico (NOT) or Canada (love to) then I would leave it at home.

I carry for two reasons:
1. if I break down in an area I do not like, then I get the gun, load the clip, put it in my jacket then make the call for tow, etc. I know I am breaking the law at that point in most states as I do not have a conceal permit (impossible to get in California), and
2. hotel rooms - I don't know why but I always sleep better on my rides at night regardless of where I stay - probably too many movies.

"But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security." - Declaration of Independence
<center>
post #41 of 57 Old Feb 25th, 2008, 3:23 pm

I used to carry pretty much anywhere I went. Then I realized that the thing I worried most about was my weapon! If I had to leave it in the car or on the bike it was often the most expensive item there. As I have aged I realize also that I don't want to kill anything or anyone. Did enough of that in the late 60's. I do still feel the need for some kind of self defence. Have been thinking about some kind of pepper spray. (With the proper training) Not a chance of killing an innocent bystander or one of my loved ones and I believe they are legal pretty much everywhere. I also don't believe I would shoot someone that was out of range of pepper spray. Just my two cents.
post #42 of 57 Old Feb 25th, 2008, 6:51 pm Thread Starter
Mister Moto

Quote:
Originally Posted by budzee
... I do still feel the need for some kind of self defence. Have been thinking about some kind of pepper spray. (With the proper training) Not a chance of killing an innocent bystander or one of my loved ones and I believe they are legal pretty much everywhere. I also don't believe I would shoot someone that was out of range of pepper spray. Just my two cents.
That's not a bad compromise...I'm still on the fence about this one. It's not about protecting the property, it's about personal protection in situations not of your choosing. I'd like to believe I could get by on the kindness of strangers, but that world is dwindling it seems. Then again, I bought the bike to live a little more adventurously...so it's just deciding where that line's drawn.

>K-daug

'06 LT "Shamu"

Last edited by K-daug; Feb 25th, 2008 at 9:00 pm.
post #43 of 57 Old Feb 25th, 2008, 8:14 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by budzee
I used to carry pretty much anywhere I went. Then I realized that the thing I worried most about was my weapon! If I had to leave it in the car or on the bike it was often the most expensive item there. As I have aged I realize also that I don't want to kill anything or anyone. Did enough of that in the late 60's. I do still feel the need for some kind of self defence. Have been thinking about some kind of pepper spray. (With the proper training) Not a chance of killing an innocent bystander or one of my loved ones and I believe they are legal pretty much everywhere. I also don't believe I would shoot someone that was out of range of pepper spray. Just my two cents.
Exactly. Very thoughtful.

In almost all the responses here all I see is unbridled bravado and paranoia. Make my day... Mission accomplished.

I've been riding motorcycles non-stop since I was 13 years old all over the world - that's 40 years - and I lately never feel the need to have a gun with me anymore. (I do take exception to that when I go to South Tucson to my fav electronics parts store where all the gang bangers are - but then I almost always take a cage)

When you focus all of your energy on your weapon - where it is, is it loaded, can I go here with it, what if I shoot someone by accident, am I going to get into trouble during a routine traffic stop, and on and on....

If it totally dominates your daily activities and focus - and it SHOULD if you are a responsible gun owner - then it takes away from the joy of riding.

For me it just doesn't fit into the freedom and spontaneous nature of motorcycle touring. Same goes for cell phones and taking business calls when riding. Counter productive, to say the least.

...and before I get totally flamed, remember this is a guy who has 3 different weapons strategically placed on purpose within EASY reach at home. I sleep real good at night - and so does my wife - since we both know where each one is and more importantly HOW and WHEN to use them.

Hand guns are for killing. Motorcycles are for fun. They do NOT mix well. End of discussion.

"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; Feb 25th, 2008 at 8:20 pm.
post #44 of 57 Old Feb 25th, 2008, 8:24 pm

No doubt about it, you assume a terrific amount of responsibility when deciding to carry. And you'd better be damned proficient with it if and when you have to use it too. Better yet; hope you never have to. You will find an equal split on this forum on both sides of the coin. With the way things are getting though...a rest stop at night for example...it's a prudent precausion for those motivated to go through the process of obtaining a CCW. As for traveling through states that don't honor your state's carry permit, and they are getting fewer by the day, just pack it away and you'll be fine. Only two situations will cause you trouble in those states...having an accident where everything you have including your firearm is strewn all over the highway, God forbid, and the other is if you are subject to a search. Which means you have either tested the law in some other way, or you are trying to enter either a military installation or Canada or Mexico. I understand the Canadian border police can't take a joke about having a knife, much less a firearm. And Mexico, I don't even want to think about...can you say, "throw away the key?"

Al Hennigan
'03 Anthracite LTE
'09 GS Adventure
Middle Tennessee
post #45 of 57 Old Feb 26th, 2008, 3:23 am
THE Democracy Doctor

Location: We LOVE illegals and Socialists, Sunny, Southern Kommyfornia,
Are U Packin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
....In almost all the responses here all I see is unbridled bravado and paranoia....lately never feel the need to have a gun with me anymore. (I do take exception to that when I go to South Tucson to my fav electronics parts store where all the gang bangers are)....Hand guns are for killing. Motorcycles are for fun. They do NOT mix well....
No more paranoid then you for carrying a gun in South Tucson. Gang members are everywhere--even in the "good" part of town. They just keep a lower profile and blend in a little better. Are you paranoid for being ready and alert in the bad side of town? Are you in denial for not paying as much attention to your surroundings in the good side of town, because you "feel" safe? Which area is more dangerous? I would submit the good side of town, because your guard is down.

As far as guns and motorcycles mixing, it would depend on who you ask. Those South Tucson gang members might tell you that dope and guns mix very nicely with their motorcycles!

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." (Some really OLD friggin' White dude who couldn't have possibly known what he was talking about!) WARNING: Official HATE speech!
post #46 of 57 Old Feb 26th, 2008, 5:19 am

When is the last time you have heard a motorcyclist getting murdered?????? Are you packing cause you do not want to get rob???? I believe the bad guy will have something pointing at you first before saying, "Give me all your money", and sure hope you do not think of pulling your weapon, thinking you can quick draw, before he kills you. Paying attention to your surroundings is probably the best advise that I have seen on this matter.

John
Florida
2004 BMW R1150R Black
Contact me 4 motor training 1&1
Expert witness in motorcycle crash reconstruction (Contact me)
post #47 of 57 Old Feb 26th, 2008, 5:45 am

I agree. Then if you decide to walk away and let them have what they want, you have just given them another hand gun..
I see the need, I really do. I'm just not of the mindset that carrying is the solution. I guess I'm just going to play the odds.
However, like I mentioned earlier if my SO was with me.....

08 R1200GSA
04 K12LT (Sold)
97 R1100GS (Sold)
SS1000--IB # 32778

post #48 of 57 Old Feb 26th, 2008, 6:49 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjacobson
No more paranoid then you for carrying a gun in South Tucson. Gang members are everywhere--even in the "good" part of town. They just keep a lower profile and blend in a little better. Are you paranoid for being ready and alert in the bad side of town? Are you in denial for not paying as much attention to your surroundings in the good side of town, because you "feel" safe? Which area is more dangerous? I would submit the good side of town, because your guard is down.

As far as guns and motorcycles mixing, it would depend on who you ask. Those South Tucson gang members might tell you that dope and guns mix very nicely with their motorcycles!
As always - good points!

(and the paranoia part is right on since I NEVER take the Mercedes there - it's just about like ASKING to be car jacked or robbed)

Situational awareness is probably the best defense - I call it my "spidey sense". It is turned on ALL the time except in my castle.

Oh, wait a minute - that's not quite correct. I'm MARRIED.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #49 of 57 Old Feb 26th, 2008, 7:04 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger6
No doubt about it, you assume a terrific amount of responsibility when deciding to carry. And you'd better be damned proficient with it if and when you have to use it too. Better yet; hope you never have to. You will find an equal split on this forum on both sides of the coin. With the way things are getting though...a rest stop at night for example...it's a prudent precausion for those motivated to go through the process of obtaining a CCW. As for traveling through states that don't honor your state's carry permit, and they are getting fewer by the day, just pack it away and you'll be fine. Only two situations will cause you trouble in those states...having an accident where everything you have including your firearm is strewn all over the highway, God forbid, and the other is if you are subject to a search. Which means you have either tested the law in some other way, or you are trying to enter either a military installation or Canada or Mexico. I understand the Canadian border police can't take a joke about having a knife, much less a firearm. And Mexico, I don't even want to think about...can you say, "throw away the key?"
We had a feller here in Tucson that spent quite a bit of time - I think it was at LEAST a year - in a Mexican grey bar hotel for possessing a single bullet that was apparently rolling around in his car when crossing. A relatively recent true story.

I can't even imagine what his legal fees were - not to mention he probably had to pay extortion (I mean a fine) to the upstanding Mexcian government to get him out.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #50 of 57 Old Feb 26th, 2008, 7:23 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-daug
"F" this...this is way too complicated! I'm takin' my partner Rocky, he's legal and much more agreeable (just don't piss him off), if I can just get the pegs where he likes 'em!

Thanks for all the info guys...this forum is the best!

>Kevin

Is Rocky a Shiloh Shepard? Never met a dog I didn't like... I can just tell by lookin' at him that he's a really good boy.

"Like Butt-ahh!"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in