Top Ten list discussion - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Feb 22nd, 2008, 5:23 pm Thread Starter

Top Ten list discussion

I know you guys have seen the top ten lists for why Harley Riders don't wave back. I recently saw one that included other motorcycle brands. The following is what they say about BMW:

Top Ten Reasons Why BMW Riders Riders Don't Wave Back

10. New Aerostich suit too stiff to raise arm.
9. Removing a hand from the bars is considered "bad form."
8. Your bike isn't weird enough looking to justify acknowledgement.
7. Too sore from an 800-mile day on a stock "comfort" seat.
6. Too busy programming the GPS, monitoring radar, listening to ipod,
XM, and talking on the cell phone.
5. He's an Iron Butt rider and you're not!
4. Wires from Gerbings is too short.
3. You're not riding the "right kind" of BMW.
2. You haven't been properly introduced.
1. Afraid it will be misinterpreted as a friendly gesture.

Most of these are pretty funny and I can see where they could be valad reasons for not waving back...except the ones that imply that BMW riders are snobs. To paraphrase an advertising slogan from 1970's Honda: "You meet the nicest people on a BMW."

Dave
'06 K1200LT
'93 K1100LT (Hers)
AMA #956231
BMWMOA #130553
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Feb 22nd, 2008, 6:34 pm

Re: Top Ten list discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbushey
Most of these are pretty funny and I can see where they could be valad reasons for not waving back...except the ones that imply that BMW riders are snobs. To paraphrase an advertising slogan from 1970's Honda: "You meet the nicest people on a BMW."

I was thinking of getting a vanity plate for my LT "SNOB"

Tony
post #3 of 16 Old Feb 22nd, 2008, 6:38 pm

Sir , You are genius.

post #4 of 16 Old Feb 22nd, 2008, 7:42 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Hey, I don't even have XM. Oh wait, that wasn't really about me, was it.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #5 of 16 Old Feb 22nd, 2008, 10:36 pm

I can't believe going through a corner too fast to take a hand off the handlebars didn't make it.

Neil '00 K1200LT '08 KLR
"Far away, is far away...
Only if you don't go!!!"
post #6 of 16 Old Feb 23rd, 2008, 4:21 pm

Am I the only one that thinks the MC wave is over rated? I don't want to sound rude but on a nice day I may see hundreds of bikes on the road during an all day ride and it becomes tiresome after a while. Haing said that, I will almost always return a fellow rider's wave but rarely initiate one unless there is a road hazard or cop in their path.

Redrider
2000 K1200LT
2003 K1200RS

post #7 of 16 Old Feb 23rd, 2008, 4:44 pm

Thumbs up Guilty ... as charged!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbushey
6. Too busy programming the GPS, monitoring radar, listening to ipod,
XM, and talking on the cell phone.
I guess that'll be me this year. Just got the XM last week, complete the whole shabang! But wait! They forgot my ICOM FRS/GMRS radio!!!
post #8 of 16 Old Feb 23rd, 2008, 5:30 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002redrider
Am I the only one that thinks the MC wave is over rated? I don't want to sound rude but on a nice day I may see hundreds of bikes on the road during an all day ride and it becomes tiresome after a while. Haivng said that, I will almost always return a fellow rider's wave but rarely initiate one unless there is a road hazard or cop in their path.
I've said it before: someone (Ari?) needs to fabricate a button-operated fake arm and hand that waves for the rider. Both hands stay on the handlebars and you just press a button; a mannequin-type hand (gloved, of course) pops out from the left side of the bike and gives a wave for 2-3 seconds. Options could include the low-down-sport-biker-two-finger wave, the hand-extended-way-out cruiser wave, or the hand-extended-straight-up Goldwinger wave.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #9 of 16 Old Feb 23rd, 2008, 5:56 pm

I try to wave at all MCs I don't care what make. Mostly the're out there for the same reason, to ride. That's me, but to each their own.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #10 of 16 Old Feb 23rd, 2008, 6:05 pm

I wave at all of them as well. Funny to me is the "Scooter-istas" seem to be the most "snobby".

2005 KLT "Old Blue"

Bruno the "Bugg"

Democracy will only exist until 51% of the population believes they can live off the other 49% .
post #11 of 16 Old Feb 23rd, 2008, 7:08 pm

Ever noticed loud Harleys rarely wave? They can't hear you!!!

"A bad day riding is better than the best day at work."
2000 LT Icon (For 2 up rides)

1998 Yamaha Virago 1100 (New to me Jan. 08)
1991 Suzuki GSX1100G ST (Retired at 97.4k miles)
1992 Suzuki GSX1100G (Replacement for 91)
2000 Suzuki DRZ400S (For City and Desert)
2007 Honda Accord (Meaning no more US engineered cars)
And 18 other bikes, 300,000+ miles, 43+ years riding experience
Retired Engineer, Sales and Maintenance Manager(s)
post #12 of 16 Old Feb 23rd, 2008, 7:10 pm

QUOTE: "....Funny to me is the "Scooter-istas" seem to be the most "snobby".

Yep...I think they are just tired of being snubbed by "real" bikers. My wife and I waved at a scooter rider a while back. I swear...he was looking right at us...saw us wave and then looked straight ahead...raised his nose in the air and arogantly rode by us....(albeit at 20 mph)

It was the funniest thing I have seen in a long time. We almost had to stop the bike, we were laughing so hard. It was great!

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #13 of 16 Old Feb 24th, 2008, 11:02 pm

I wave at every rider--it really was one of the small things that endeared me to riding. Some sort of brotherhood thing I figured...but hey, I'm from Kansas we wave at anybody!

Wade

99 K-1200LT
82 Yamaha Virago (Girl of my youth)

"No one knows as much as all of us do." --General George Patton

post #14 of 16 Old Feb 24th, 2008, 11:37 pm
BMW Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002redrider
Am I the only one that thinks the MC wave is over rated? I don't want to sound rude but on a nice day I may see hundreds of bikes on the road during an all day ride and it becomes tiresome after a while. Haing said that, I will almost always return a fellow rider's wave but rarely initiate one unless there is a road hazard or cop in their path.
I'm with you on this. I ride almost everyday, year round. In the winter I don't mind waving a few times a day because there are so few other bikes out there. I went for a dual sport ride yesterday with a few guys and didn't have to wave even once all day As the weather gets good and the Sunday afternoon riders all get out it's just too much. You'd have to wave at someone every 10 seconds to avoid offending some poor little HD ego...

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

post #15 of 16 Old Feb 25th, 2008, 9:04 am

I wave at every bike. Well over half wave back.
I have yet to really catch any trouble because I'm on a BMW..
I was with some guys last year though (I was on my VTX 1800R) and a couple of guys pulled in on Adventures. There was a few comments around the picnic table about what they had on..
The only times I quit the wave were some Saturdays along the river road, there were just too many bikes. I never would have had my left hand on the grip..

08 R1200GSA
04 K12LT (Sold)
97 R1100GS (Sold)
SS1000--IB # 32778

post #16 of 16 Old Feb 25th, 2008, 11:53 am

I wave at everyone on motorized two-wheelers. I have done it for nearly 30 years.

Some wave back. Some are surprised (do they know about the custom?) and don't have time to do much. Some are busy or just don't want to bother, so they nod their heads.

Some riders don't wave back. Some don't see me (hopefully they are paying attention to the other aspects of their riding). Some riders see me, but don't wave back, but they never tell me why. A few scowl at me. Perhaps they don't like my bike, or waving, or are having a bad day. Is there such a thing as a bad day when you're out riding? I dunno.

Most motor officers don't wave back, but a few do.

I don't wave if it unsafe and I don't wave if the road is so populated with oncoming motorcyclists that I have to wave every few seconds or so, especially in the twisties. Sometimes a nod is good enough. I'll try to wave back or at least nod if they wave at me.

I learned last year that I have a "geek wave", which is not cool. Furthermore, geek waves are harder to do on my new bike, because the air flow is different - it can really push my hand back at higher speeds. I switched to the "two-finders-down-low" wave. It seems to work, and it isn't in the airstream, and now everyone thinks that I'm so much more cool...

...except for the orange reflector vest.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in