LT/BMW Salt Resistance? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Feb 18th, 2008, 2:58 pm Thread Starter
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

LT/BMW Salt Resistance?

OK I live n PA but we got salt, tons of it all over our roads. Well now we just got a bunch of rain and everything had dew hanging off it this am.

I would think that when rain hits salt, then fogs, and dew is formed, it contains salt.

I did spent the day washing and waxing so it is clean now. I have pretty hot water available, and I use a leaf blower to dry it that I love sharing with my grass cutting loving neighbors.

I had it on the lift and sprayed from every point I could spray to try and get all I can clean. Used a rag well soaped in every opening I could get to.

The reason I ask is the hardware on my HD got really crappy even after the same type of care. Mostly the Head Bolts and such.

But on I BMW since you need to spray into vents and side openings, is what you cant reach with your hand and a rag OK? Is getting the bath with got hot soapy water enough to keep it ?

Do the motor and innards and such hold up to salt corrosion with reasonable (standing on your head with a hose) care?

How about you guys on that Ocean Breeze Property? How, and what do you guys do? Just plenty of water?

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Feb 18th, 2008, 3:15 pm

Re: LT/BMW Salt Resistance?

Lee..
I took off all my tupperware, had the bike soaped up real good, and cleaned it all up... sprayed and washed a couple of times using WD40, then soap.. etc..

Then I sprayed it down with SS100 Metal protector. On some of the parts I used "silicone" spray ... and ALWAYS use dielectric grease on the electric parts.

At next "service" where I removed the tupperware, the bike was much cleaner.. and washing it down was much easier...faster... and reapplied the coatings... luvit.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old Feb 18th, 2008, 7:05 pm

I live in the south eastern part of the state and it's ridiculous how much salt they use. I try to avoid riding whenever they put it down. I say you did a pretty good job on cleaning your bike, I do pretty much the same not only to my bike but also my cars and motorhome. I've always felt that you need to get it off ASAP and you'll have little if any problems. Maybe the head bolts on your Harley were'nt plated very well.
One word of caution about using a leaf blower, your blowing very high velocity unfiltered air at your bike. It wouldn't take much foreign debris to damage the finish going through that blower. I never use one, I just run the bike after washing it until the engine is at operating temp and put in our heated garage.

post #4 of 9 Old Feb 18th, 2008, 7:42 pm

"I did spent the day washing and waxing so it is clean now. I have pretty hot water available, and I use a leaf blower to dry it that I love sharing with my grass cutting loving neighbors."

Read in bike magazine that using a blower also tended to send water where it might not normally go. I simply wash, dry a little and then ride. Course we don't have problems with salt on the road, except real close to the coast.

Still have a hard time believing it when I see people drive cars and trucks up and down the beach. Might as well sprinkle salt all over. Then too occasionally you'll see someone sitting on a low bridge, letting a hard wind blow salt water all over. amazing!

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #5 of 9 Old Feb 19th, 2008, 5:01 am Thread Starter
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

I been using a leaf blower for about 8 years drying bikes, no issues. I see what it pushes out of my switches and speaker covers. They do make these very expensive blowers for drying a bike I just did a Sears 59.95 special. It is electric and I only use it to dry bikes.

I will keep a heads up on it but I just cant let water lay in all the nooks and cranny's.

I just wanted to know how to keep the innards relatively clean and safe from any potential corrosion. I don't want any big surprises on my first Tupperware Party.

I have used the s100 and it did a nice job on the HD. I will do it on the first Tupperware party.

I also am a freak on SP303 for vinyl and such. I did all the hoses I could see and reach and I will do it again when it is naked.

Just trying to keep the bike the best I can, and still ride in the Winter. Being as I cant see the motor just want to be sure of what others that may face salt in any form are doing to keep things tidy.

Thanks Guys

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
BMW MOA #135959
post #6 of 9 Old Feb 19th, 2008, 5:34 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAF
I been using a leaf blower for about 8 years drying bikes, no issues. I see what it pushes out of my switches and speaker covers. They do make these very expensive blowers for drying a bike I just did a Sears 59.95 special. It is electric and I only use it to dry bikes.

I will keep a heads up on it but I just cant let water lay in all the nooks and cranny's.

I just wanted to know how to keep the innards relatively clean and safe from any potential corrosion. I don't want any big surprises on my first Tupperware Party.

I have used the s100 and it did a nice job on the HD. I will do it on the first Tupperware party.

I also am a freak on SP303 for vinyl and such. I did all the hoses I could see and reach and I will do it again when it is naked.

Just trying to keep the bike the best I can, and still ride in the Winter. Being as I cant see the motor just want to be sure of what others that may face salt in any form are doing to keep things tidy.

Thanks Guys
Your doing everything that can be done and that's coming from a person who is as anal as anal can be. I doubt you'll have any problems. To go to any further lengths I just wouldn't ride it in those conditions.
post #7 of 9 Old Feb 19th, 2008, 9:29 am

OK....SP303....what is this?
Thanks

Bob Thede
'02 K1200 LT-Blackie II
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'97 BMW Z3-SO's
BMWMOA #135792

CCR-'08

'62 Fender Jazz Bass-played often!
post #8 of 9 Old Feb 19th, 2008, 12:37 pm Thread Starter
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

http://classic-motoring.stores.yahoo.net/303.html
I buy it by the gallon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfGuy
OK....SP303....what is this?
Thanks

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
BMW MOA #135959
post #9 of 9 Old Feb 19th, 2008, 3:57 pm

Cool Re: LT/BMW Salt Resistance?

I live in a beach community one city block from the Atlantic Ocean. We get a fair amount of salt fog which put a coating on everything. You might wwnt to tke off the tupper ware and get in their and start cleaning. Do this at least once a year and you should be allright. Also you will get a chance to look at your bike naked. (YIKES)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in