Two Way Radio Thought - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old Feb 18th, 2008, 9:29 am Thread Starter

Lightbulb Two Way Radio Thought

OK here is the thought, why done we pick (or have we and I don't know) a channel on the CB and FRS radios for touring bikers, the truckers use channel 19 on CB, some MC clubs us some of the the lower channels channel 1 or 2, and the FRS bikers are also all over the place.

It would be nice to ride down the road and have other Touring Bikers or even other bikers period, on the same freq. to have a quick chat with even if it was call on one channel and move to another.

Why don't we pick channel 2 for both the CB and FRS so it would be easy to remember (two for two wheels) that way you could monitor it if you wanted, then let everyone know across the country.

I have been riding and met other riders with two way radios, yet still ended up talking at the stop lights when we could have been talking while riding.

I have both the CB and FRS so I can choose which ever they want, it is nice when going to the different rallies when you come up on a LT, Goldwing or even a Road King to be able to talk and not have to try to figure which channel they are going to use.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old Feb 18th, 2008, 9:50 am

Re: Two Way Radio Thought

Channel 2 is OK for me. Saturday looked good for riding, but too much snow and ice in the driveway.

Garry

Follow my South America ride at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

IBAID 26718
BMWMOA 117552
2011 K1600GTL RECEIVED April 30th, 2011 @ 1:30 pm
2012 RED KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 17 Old Feb 18th, 2008, 11:11 am

I may be wrong here, but I understood that the same channel on two different makes of radio may have different frequencies and thus not work. I know from experience that a Garmin Rhino has a different channel set than Kenwood units some of us have.

Lee Nowell
Black 01, LTC
BMWRA & MOA, AMA, IBA

post #4 of 17 Old Feb 18th, 2008, 11:34 am Thread Starter

Not that I know and I have worked with several diffrent units for diffrent events and the were all the same when we used them.

the roads are dry here in Souther Ontario but still about 6 inches of snow all a round darn, is spring coming!
post #5 of 17 Old Feb 18th, 2008, 11:38 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnowell
I may be wrong here, but I understood that the same channel on two different makes of radio may have different frequencies and thus not work. I know from experience that a Garmin Rhino has a different channel set than Kenwood units some of us have.
No sir, you are not wrong. Unfortunately, there appears to be NO 'standard' what-so-ever when it comes to the FRS/GMRS channel numbers. My friend's Channel '1' on her ChatterBox X1 is equivelant to my ICOM's channel '9', IIRC.

There are conversion charts available somewhere on this site, if you're so inclined to search. A Google search is sure to find you the same information.

FWIW, I don't ride near Touring Bikers long enough for this to be a valid concern anyway. I just wave, and we part ways. Seems most Touring Bikers don't ride at the pace that I ride at.
post #6 of 17 Old Feb 18th, 2008, 11:46 am

Here's a good thread regarding the topic of "Channel Numbers".
post #7 of 17 Old Feb 18th, 2008, 12:37 pm Thread Starter

Strange, there was a move at one time in the US to make one of the channel an emergency channel like ch9 on the CB.

There maybe a diffrence in the USA and Canada That could make a diffrence to, as I have seen a IC listing for the frequenceis and the channels that go with them.

But having said that the manufactures seem to do what they want at times, and there is a new FRD frequency range in the USA that is not in Canada yet it operates in the 151 range close to our VHF Fire frequencies.
post #8 of 17 Old Feb 18th, 2008, 4:05 pm

Ch 2 462.5875 would be a good choice.
frs/gmrs info below.

Technical information
FRS radios are limited to 500 milliwatts in the U.S., according to FCC regulations. Channels 1 to 7 are shared with low-power interstitial channels of GMRS, the General Mobile Radio Service. A license is required for those channels only if the power output is over FRS limits, up to GMRS limits. Unlike Citizens' Band (CB) radios, FRS radios frequently have provisions for using sub-audible tone squelch (CTCSS and DCS) codes, filtering out unwanted chatter from other users on the same frequency. Although these codes are sometimes called "privacy codes" or "private line codes" (PL codes), they offer no protection from eavesdropping and are only intended to help share busy channels. Tone codes also do nothing to prevent desired transmissions from being swamped by stronger signals having a different code.

FRS stations on channels 1 through 7 may communicate with GMRS stations on those channels; the GMRS stations may use up to 5 watts of power, while the FRS stations are restricted to 0.5 watts.

The use of duplex radio repeaters and interconnects to the telephone network are prohibited under FRS rules, unlike in GMRS, where repeaters but not telephone interconnect are permitted, and the Amateur Radio Service. FRS radios must use only permanently-attached antennas. This limitation intentionally restricts the range of communications, and promotes sharing of the available channels.

FRS manufacturers generally claim an effective range of 3 km (2 miles) or more, but actual performance is limited by the physics of propagation. The presence of large buildings can reduce range. Under exceptional conditions, such as hilltop to hilltop, communication is possible over 50 km (30 miles) or more. Under normal conditions, however, with line-of-sight blocked by a few buildings or trees, FRS generally has an effective range of 0.5 to 1.5 km (1/3 to 1 mile).

[edit] FRS/GMRS Dual Service Radios
Recently, hybrid FRS/GMRS consumer radios have been introduced that have 22 channels. Many of these radios have been certified for unlicensed operation (on the 14 FRS frequencies) under FRS rules. [1]

The FCC rules and statements regarding the use of hybrid radios on channels 1-7 stipulate the need for GMRS licensing only when operating under the RULES that apply to the GMRS. Many hybrid radios have an ERP that is lower than 0.5 watts on channels 1-7, or can be set by the user to operate at low power on these channels. This allows hybrid radios to be used under the license free FRS rules if the ERP is less than 0.5 watts AND the unit is certified for FRS operation on these frequencies.

Channels 8-14 are reserved exclusively for the FRS, and GMRS operation is not allowed on these channels.

Channels 15-22 are reserved exclusively for GMRS, and FRS operation is not allowed on these channels.

[edit] List of FRS channels
Channel Frequency (MHz) Notes
1 462.5625 Unofficially designated the National Call Channel. Shared with GMRS.
2 462.5875 Shared with GMRS.
3 462.6125 Shared with GMRS.
4 462.6375 Shared with GMRS.
5 462.6625 Shared with GMRS.
6 462.6875 Shared with GMRS.
7 462.7125 Shared with GMRS.
8 467.5625 FRS use ONLY (GMRS not allowed)
9 467.5875 FRS use ONLY (GMRS not allowed)
10 467.6125 FRS use ONLY (GMRS not allowed)
11 467.6375 FRS use ONLY (GMRS not allowed)
12 467.6625 FRS use ONLY (GMRS not allowed)
13 467.6875 FRS use ONLY (GMRS not allowed)
14 467.7125 FRS use ONLY (GMRS not allowed)

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #9 of 17 Old Feb 18th, 2008, 8:57 pm

I just use 146.520 and 446.00 - at least to start things out. Having a frequency agile rig has it's advantages.

50 and 35 watts possible on the LT, respectively. But usually just run 5 due to antenna proximity.

Tate

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and

Last edited by Zotter; Feb 18th, 2008 at 9:06 pm.
post #10 of 17 Old Feb 18th, 2008, 9:03 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zotter
I just use 146.520 and 446.00

50 and 35 watts possible on the LT, respectively. But usually just run 5 to keep things 'safe'.
Dang, Tate... turn it down.. I can hear you here in Tejas!!! Just Kidding! Crank it up!!!

Too bad I aint smart enough to do that on my bikes.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #11 of 17 Old Feb 18th, 2008, 9:06 pm
KIC

Question Re: Two Way Radio Thought

Wow...lot's of good information. But now I get to reel this back to a basic, very basic question.

What radio to start out with and how does it connect into the system ? I have the set up in the tank compartment. How do I match a radio that will have the correct plug configuration and patch cord to plug into my unit?

PROUD FATHER OF A MILITARY DAUGHTER !.
She's for sale
SOLD 7-19-08 [url]

There are those who ride BMW's.. and those who wish they did.

Ron's R11/1 Vergasser's - 1st Wingman

Sophmore : BMWLT - University of Luxury Touring Education

2000 K1200LTC Champagne SOLD 7-08
2006 KLR 650 - RED- The fast dual sport color !
2002 TW 200 - White/Blue - #1,The wife's CRF replacement.
2002 TW 200 - WhiteBlue - #2, My matching toy
2001 XT 225 - White/Blue - Sold 7/08
92 K75S Red and fast (sadly gone)

Yamaha YZ 250 for the dirt ( still good use for a smokin' 2-stroke !) In critical care 4/08
Honda CRF 230F - Wifey's dirt fun. (Sold)
Many Honda 750 F's (May they Rest In Peace)
post #12 of 17 Old Feb 18th, 2008, 9:07 pm

I know ya are cfell - you can do that too. Just pass the element 2 exam and after that, it's just money .

Tate

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and

post #13 of 17 Old Feb 19th, 2008, 4:46 am

KIC,
My motorcycled is equipped with an Autocom and it was a simple matter of just purchasing the transceiver interface chord which plugs into the side of the radio. Not sure how the system on your LT works but I bet there are folks on here that can tell you. If your just looking for short range bike to bike any of the .5 watt FRS radios should work, Kenwood, Icom, Midland and Motorola are popular brands for motorcycles. http://www.hitechwireless.com/index.aspx You can even buy blister pack FRS at Wal-Mart for under $50.00 I would advise against that. Do not believe the range as claimed by the manufactures you will be lucky to get 1/ 2 mile out of a .5 watt FRS radio unless you are on a flat wide open road. If you want more range and decide on the higher power GMRS units a FCC license is required, no test, $85.00 on the FCC web site. although I suspect many don't even bother with the license. The range limitation on any of these units is the supplied rubber antenna. The antenna on the .5 watts units is non removable, the FCC don't want you messing with the antenna on the FRS radios. On the GMS units the antenna can be replaced with one that will actually increase your effective output. I have had two Kenwoods and loved them, my first was a Tk3130 Freetalk FRS. I wanted more range and recently purchased a Kenwood GMRS Pro Talk and added a Maxrad 33" non ground plane antenna to the side of my top box. Not sure of my range now but know it is over two miles, more than enough for me. The starter of this thread has a great idea if we can overcome the manufacturer frequency mis-match issue it would be great. Picture of my antenna installation
[IMG]

R1200RT
MSF RiderCoach
post #14 of 17 Old Feb 19th, 2008, 9:38 am

The Kenwood 3130 has one advantage in that Autocom offers a battery eliminator hookup. A little pricy, but it does work and makes for a clean installation. One of our riding group makes a plastic rain cover for the Kenwood and we each have one so it give us the ability to keep it mounted almost all the time. We use channel 5 just knocking about and a GMRS channel with privacy feature with we are on the road for long ride when we think we will be in a high (radio) traffic area like DC on Memorial Day.

Lee Nowell
Black 01, LTC
BMWRA & MOA, AMA, IBA
post #15 of 17 Old Feb 19th, 2008, 7:20 pm Thread Starter

Thanks MWNAHAS I did not want to get that techy Glad to here you agree with channel 2 as well, as a side line I also run VHF and UHF some times as well!

As for the radio hook ups most are not that hard once you have the correct wiring layout and there are some posted here if one does a search thanks to many others for the info.
post #16 of 17 Old Feb 22nd, 2008, 6:26 pm

I own a Motorola Two Way Radio Dealership and would be happy to assist anyone who has a question about radios or needs any parts. whoever posetd the info about no standard is correct. In addition to the actual frequency associated with the channel, there is a Private Line code or digital private line code that must match as well.

At one time, I had a chart for all the various manufacturers and what their channel and frequency designation was. If someone decided on a channel, I could tell you what that would be on every radio and what code would be needed. conatct me off line if you want any additional info.

[email protected]
post #17 of 17 Old Feb 22nd, 2008, 8:14 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbearsch
I own a Motorola Two Way Radio Dealership and would be happy to assist anyone who has a question about radios or needs any parts. whoever posetd the info about no standard is correct. In addition to the actual frequency associated with the channel, there is a Private Line code or digital private line code that must match as well.

At one time, I had a chart for all the various manufacturers and what their channel and frequency designation was. If someone decided on a channel, I could tell you what that would be on every radio and what code would be needed. conatct me off line if you want any additional info.

[email protected]
Not sure if any of this has changed, or maybe even posted already somewhere in this thread, butt this attachment, containing a crossreference index of the various channel/frequency by model, might help.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Chatterbox.doc (46.5 KB, 41 views)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in