HF tire changer - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Feb 17th, 2008, 9:53 am Thread Starter

HF tire changer

So, my Harbor Freight tire changer arrived.
Has anyone had experience using the tire changer without bolting it to the deck?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Feb 17th, 2008, 10:04 am

Re: HF tire changer

Works fine without nailing it to the floor, just not as stable, of course; but it is still a very useful tool. One other thing that is really handy is plastic rim protectors; otherwise you gotta fool with some other way to protect the rims. The leverage provided by the bar is really great.

Rodney

2000 Canyon Red LT [I]
2005 Sportster XLCH 1200C
2006 Mongoose XR250
Make sure your Life Assurance is prayed up. Don't leave home without it.
post #3 of 10 Old Feb 17th, 2008, 10:34 am

If you don't want to drill holes in your concrete floor, you could bolt it to a 4' x 4' piece of plywood.

post #4 of 10 Old Feb 17th, 2008, 11:20 am

Hey Charlie, I had an 8' piece of "womanized" 4x4 laying around. I cut it in half and ripped it to the size of the channels on the bottom of the HF. I then saddled the middle of the 4x4's. Being I took my Skil Saw, set the depth of the blade and cut small slices into it. Then I knocked out those slices with a hammer and chiselled the saddles clean. This let's me set the two pieces of 4x4 on top of each other flush in a cross arrangement. I set the HF on this cross, marked where the holes are and drilled it out. I use lag bolts that I run with my cordless drill and a socket to hold the HF in place. I can break the whole thing down and it stores in my moto closet in the gearage.

Notice the lips of your tire clampers. If they are just a straight piece of metal, you'll want to weld some round stock to the top of them to clamp to the inside of the rim (where it meets the tire). Experience talking here, or you'll be one frustrated boyo. I use inner tube to keep from marring the rim.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grok
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 Old Feb 17th, 2008, 11:56 am

http://www.ammcoats.com/uploadedImag...s%20APX80E.jpg

I found out by experimenting that the newer "Touch-less" automotive tire changers will change LT tires with no effort at all. The tools stay away from the rim, so it is just about idiot proof (until a better idiot is invented) The attached picture is of the model I used.

I did it for the first time, it took me 10 minutes for both. The Marc Parnes balancing also for the first time took another 10 minutes.

The local tire store may now be an option for some, provided they use the latest equipment and are not idiots...

Wolfgang

K1200LT 1999 Champaign SOLD
R1100RS 1994 Teal SOLD
R1150RT 2003 Blue (Sold)
R1100RT 1997 Blue

Pest, Budapest Hungary

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness."
Mark Twain

post #6 of 10 Old Feb 17th, 2008, 2:42 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
Hey Charlie, I had an 8' piece of "womanized" 4x4 laying around. I cut it in half and ripped it to the size of the channels on the bottom of the HF. I then saddled the middle of the 4x4's. Being I took my Skil Saw, set the depth of the blade and cut small slices into it. Then I knocked out those slices with a hammer and chiselled the saddles clean. This let's me set the two pieces of 4x4 on top of each other flush in a cross arrangement. I set the HF on this cross, marked where the holes are and drilled it out. I use lag bolts that I run with my cordless drill and a socket to hold the HF in place. I can break the whole thing down and it stores in my moto closet in the gearage.

Notice the lips of your tire clampers. If they are just a straight piece of metal, you'll want to weld some round stock to the top of them to clamp to the inside of the rim (where it meets the tire). Experience talking here, or you'll be one frustrated boyo. I use inner tube to keep from marring the rim.

Hey Grif;

post a pic, I would like to see the round bar. I can weld at my shop.
Or give me a diameter and length. Thanks

Zeke

45 years riding and still more places to see.
2002 K1200LT
2016 R1200RT
IBA # 41935
post #7 of 10 Old Feb 17th, 2008, 4:01 pm Thread Starter

My unit has nice little hooks that lock onto the rim nicely. Newer version I wonder?

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
......Notice the lips of your tire clampers. If they are just a straight piece of metal, you'll want to weld some round stock to the top of them to clamp to the inside of the rim (where it meets the tire). Experience talking here, or you'll be one frustrated boyo. I use inner tube to keep from marring the rim.
post #8 of 10 Old Feb 17th, 2008, 4:09 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies Gents.

So I got the tires demounted and remounted using the HF unit. It wasn't bolted down to anything but I managed by using the occasional tire iron and counter leverage.

So far I'm not sure I'll actually save time with the HF unit over my old approach, but I do like the bead breaker. That's a real improvement over my old technique.

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...68656#poststop

I'd take the bike out for a test but the conditions are less than satisfactory, after the rain a couple of days ago, that's mostly ice in the yard. Gotta put the chains on again
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7586reduced.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	16672  
post #9 of 10 Old Feb 17th, 2008, 8:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke
Hey Grif;

post a pic, I would like to see the round bar. I can weld at my shop.
Or give me a diameter and length. Thanks

Zeke
Well, diameter is what I had laying around. Length was to size. The sad part was, no matter how much I love to weld, Thor did it. It was during a tech session, I was in shorts and sandals and just didn't see the point of changing for a quick zap job. That Thor is an alright guy!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #10 of 10 Old Feb 18th, 2008, 9:37 am

Yep...the newer models come with the "lip" or "hook" already on it. I just dipped my about 6 or 7 times in plastikote and it doesn't mar at all. I also purchased a NO-MAR Mount/Demount bar and it is worth every penny.

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in