New Helmet/Helmet-liner design - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Feb 5th, 2008, 2:48 pm Thread Starter

New Helmet/Helmet-liner design

Sent by my Mum from a radio show in Australia:

TRANSCRIPT:

DESLEY BLANCH : A revolutionary helmet designed to reduce brain injury or death to motorcyclists and bicyclists has been developed by a Brisbane-based physicist. Following his participation in a 1980's research project that took him to fatal accident scenes, Don Morgan spent over 20 years researching and designing the unique helmet lining with its distinctive cone-shaped structures which allow greater absorption of the impact in an accident.

Don's cone-head invention was recognised in December as "The Invention of the Year" on ABC TV's "The New Inventors" for which I congratulated him.

DON MORGAN : Oh yes, thanks Desley for your congratulations. I was certainly surprised. In my wildest of dreams, I probably would never have thought I would have won "The Inventor of the Year" and I've probably only just come down from cloud 99 now. And I think it's a great thing that the ABC can have a show like "The New Inventors", so inventors like me can showcase their inventions.

DESLEY BLANCH : Well, it was your participation in a research project on road safety and this was into the effectiveness of motorcyclist and bicycle helmets. This is over 20 years ago and that's where your idea was spawned for a better helmet. So, tell us about how you conducted that research?

DON MORGAN : Well, it was a federal Office of Road Safety project and it went over a period of four years and we carried out a whole lot of different things such as crash simulations and investigating helmets to standards and what-have-you.

But one of the most important things that I did was to attend motorcycle accidents with the Traffic Accident Investigation Squad and what I did was to try to understand the forces involved. But I also brought back the helmet to the laboratory and pulled them apart to examine them for damage.

DESLEY BLANCH : And your findings. I mean what are the problems with today's helmet liners?

DON MORGAN : The most important crash features that came out of these helmets was that the liner itself did not....or they showed very little evidence of damage or crushing. And yet when we related this back to the crash reports, we found that the motorcyclists and cyclists had sustained serious head injuries or other words, inter-cranial injuries.

DESLEY BLANCH : And so the outside was strong and the inside was strong as well. This foam liner was too hard.

DON MORGAN : That's right. You summed it up clearly there. The foam liners were too hard and stiff and they did not effectively absorb an impact force. So other words, the forces were readily being translated across that hard thick liner to the skull.

DESLEY BLANCH : The research project itself finished in 1987 didn't it, and it was during the 1990's that you're daughter's bicycle helmet sent you a reminder message about helmet liners. So what was that and how did you react to that?

DON MORGAN : Yeah, well that was a very important stage in my journey. Because I remember my eldest daughter, she was learning to ride a bike at that time. I picked up the helmet and I pressed my thumb up against the hard foam and I remember being shocked that the foam liner was hard as a brick,. I couldn't even leave an impression of my thumb in the liner, and that was telling me that there was nothing done about softening the liners of helmets, because that was part of our research report recommending the softening of those liners especially in children's helmets.

DESLEY BLANCH : So, tell us about your path to cones as a design?

DON MORGAN : Yeah, well I looked at different designs and it was probably in the early part of 1993 that I thought of...well initially I thought of square-based pyramids and then I thought a few minutes later, no, it would be much easy to embed cones within the thickness of the hard liner because of the tooling, cost of tools and what-have-you, manufacturing tools. So that's why I went to cones.

Cones have that wonderful simple unique property, that when you apply a force to it, it'll initially compress or crush. And as you continue to apply a force to it, it becomes harder to compress or crush and that's why I use cones in the thickness of the liner. It's a great shock absorber.

DESLEY BLANCH : And these cones are low density and yet you've got a high density liner, but the pair work together somehow to reduce this rate of impact.

DON MORGAN : That's right. Now we call the liner 'cone liner', but you've got to understand that the cone liner is made up of two layers; the cone layer which is the cones and that's the closest part of that to the head and the overlying layer. The most important thing is that the cones extend from the cone layer, right through to the outer surface of the overlying layer.

And the cone layer is divided up into five sections and this is a very important feature because for the first time, there will be a helmet out there that takes into account the different thicknesses of the skull and strengths. So there is no other helmet out there that does that.

DESLEY BLANCH : So, you've got softer foam around the vital areas, like the temple, for instance?

DON MORGAN : Exactly, yeah, because you want softer foam to be in contact with the more fragile part of the skull. And also the overlying layer, that's important as well, because that's the layer that adds strength to the liner itself, that's the part that gets us through the standard.

DESLEY BLANCH : So, how did you obtain your scientific data that proved that cones gave a superior result to current liner designs?

DON MORGAN : In the year 2000 I was fortunate enough to receive a grant from the Australian Transport Safety Bureau which allowed me to manufacture and test samples of two different types of foams; the new cone liner foam and also the single hard density foam liners that you find in current helmets.

We tested the foam liners independently in New Zealand to the different Standards or to the Australian Standard particularly, and the test results show that the new cone liner was far more superior in absorbing an impact force than the current liners.

DESLEY BLANCH : And, you tried to find an Australian manufacturer for your helmet, but couldn't. So, what was the sticking point with that?

DON MORGAN : Oh, that's a difficult one. I can never work that one out Desley. I thought it was going to be easy. From there on once we got the scientific data, I thought it would be easy, but no-one was interested. I went for funding from different governments and they weren't even interested. So I can't really pinpoint that one.

DESLEY BLANCH : You still can't answer the question.

DON MORGAN : That's right. It's a struggle. Because I thought it was worthwhile to pursue. For anyone who's interested in manufacturing a helmet which was potentially an exporting item, they'd go with it, but no-one was interested.

DESLEY BLANCH : So, I guess you were rather disheartened at this point?

DON MORGAN : Yes, as I said I went for the Queensland Government Innovation Start Up Scheme on three occasions and I was rejected three times. And on the third time, that was probably the lowest point of my journey.

And I nearly walked away from it, but it was my wife who said 'look, we've spent much time and much money, our money on this', so she thought that we'd better stick with it. And I don't think I would have been the same if I did walk away from it.

DESLEY BLANCH : No, you wouldn't I'm sure of it, listening to the way you're talking. But you found a helmet manufacturer. So, how did that come about?

DON MORGAN : Yeah, well we wanted to manufacture a small batch of helmets, right? I thought well okay then; I'll manufacture a small batch of helmets and then try to sell them off to different buyers.

I went on to the internet and looked for different helmet manufacturers and I found about three or four of them and I sent off an email to each of them, and within an hour, a helmet manufacturer responded, and it just went from there.

When I disclosed the design to them, they said, 'Wow, this is absolutely fantastic. We've been trying to do this for several years'. And then they said, 'Well, would you like to sign a licence agreement' and I thought well, I won't give you the answer straight away. So I went away for a month and I thought about it, and then I thought yes, this is probably the best way to go.

DESLEY BLANCH : So, where is this manufacturer?

DON MORGAN : They're in Hong Kong, they're based in Hong Kong and they have two factories in China.

DESLEY BLANCH : So, why did you appear on "The New Inventors" TV show then?

DON MORGAN : Yes, it was mainly because this helmet would be manufactured overseas and no-one would know that it was an Aussie invention. I really wanted everyone to know that it was an Aussie invention and another invention that has escaped our shore.

DESLEY BLANCH : Could the Cone-Head helmet be applied to all kinds of safety helmets outside of bikes and so on?

DON MORGAN : Yes, yes, yes, that's right. The first helmet will be a motorcycle helmet. Then we're going to fit it into an automobile helmet and then a skiing helmet. And unfortunately, the last helmet they'll probably manufacture will be the bicycle helmet, because it's much more complicated. It's got a lot of venting in it. So the tooling will be much more complicated.

DESLEY BLANCH : So, when would you expect to get the helmets into full production?

DON MORGAN : Well, I'm really happy to say that we are into the production stage now and if everything goes to plan, the helmet with cone-head should be available within the next two or three months, hopefully in this first part of the year.

DESLEY BLANCH : Is that in Australia only or...?

DON MORGAN : Australia and New Zealand. What they're saying is they're using Australia and New Zealand as a test bed. Then they will put it into the European market and after that the US market.

DESLEY BLANCH : Inventor and physicist, Don Morgan from Brisbane in Queensland, whose helmet design is destined to reduce motorcycle and other fatalities from head injuries around the globe.

Ralph
Located: Auckland, New Zealand...
but I left my biking heart along the Scenic Byways of America.....

"Come fill the cup that clears
Today of past regrets and future fears." ....Omar Khayyam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Feb 5th, 2008, 4:18 pm

Thank you for sharing.

A bad day on the bike beats a good day in the office.
post #3 of 14 Old Feb 5th, 2008, 4:40 pm

Coneheads Unite!!!

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 14 Old Feb 5th, 2008, 7:33 pm

That's really interesting.

Just a few hours ago I replaced the only two pieces of extremely hard 1/2" Styrofoam in my David Clark aviation helmet with high density visco elastic foam. I'm going Aerotrekking this weekend and wanted a more comfortable (and hopefully more safe) helmet.

David Clark's design has not changed since it first came out around 1985...

I know this sounds completely crazy but I am seriously considering replacing the liner in my Arai with the same material, except 1" thick instead.

One of the most important motorcycle related articles I have read in the past several years is this:

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/ge...helmet_review/

I consider it a must read for any serious motorcyclist.

Channing and Ron (Beldar) are from France.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	coneheads-3.jpg
Views:	423
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	16475  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; Feb 5th, 2008 at 7:45 pm.
post #5 of 14 Old Feb 5th, 2008, 7:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
One of the most important motorcycle related articles I have read in the past several years is this:

+1 on that! Within the last month I was researching helmets and by far this was one of, if not the best read. Opens your eyes for sure...

Mark
'07 RT
post #6 of 14 Old Feb 5th, 2008, 7:50 pm

Thanks, Ron... well, the Gautreaux and Bienvenue families in the hedgerow/family tree are French sourced.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #7 of 14 Old Feb 6th, 2008, 6:24 am

Good article there and also in the bike rag.

I like the new scorpians. they are 6 oz's heavier than my corsair. I know the shape/fit sometimes eliminate the wt. Problem is, you have to spend a fortune to find out.

After owning the corsair, I'm not sure I can switch to anything else.

A helmet could protect me from a fall from outer space but if I can't wear it 15-20 hours/week, I can't use it. This in a nutshell, is the problem for folks who put a lot of miles on, like me.

I'm still waiting for a featherweight helmet that also protects well. So far, the corsair is it.
post #8 of 14 Old Feb 6th, 2008, 7:14 am

We will definately be able to snarful the Garthok, but does it assist in the consumption of mass quanities?

#32756 -
'12
FLTRU Ember Red Sunglo (
)
'05
R1200GS Desert Yellow (
)
'00
K1200LTC Canyon Red (
) - Retired 10/2012
----------------------------------------------
'02
FLSTC Custom (
)
For bike shows, parades, Taco Thursdays and local rides on sunny days only.

post #9 of 14 Old Feb 6th, 2008, 2:11 pm

Garage
Talking Helmet Test

Here is an interesting helmet test.

Clicky, clicky here..."www.youtube.com/watch?v=K580i02_boE" .

~ron~
"00 K1200LTC
"99 R1200C
"?? Indian Scout
"02 Uni-Go

"If you always tell the truth, you never have to remember anything"
post #10 of 14 Old Feb 6th, 2008, 5:59 pm

Motorcyclist Article

Ron,
In the article they talk about a followup in Nov-Dec 2005. Have you seen that article or have a link for it?

Still Just Jerry

2005 LT "Lucky"
2003 Moto Guzzi Aluminum "The Fog"

post #11 of 14 Old Feb 6th, 2008, 6:11 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_Kendall
Here is an interesting helmet test.

Clicky, clicky here..."www.youtube.com/watch?v=K580i02_boE" .
That video is not available on YouTube. Is there an alternate link?

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #12 of 14 Old Feb 6th, 2008, 7:29 pm

Garage
It worked for me when I posted it,...so I tried doing a search for "Helmet Test" on YouTube & the first video it listed is the one I was trying to link to...It's the Portuguese helmet test.

~ron~
"00 K1200LTC
"99 R1200C
"?? Indian Scout
"02 Uni-Go

"If you always tell the truth, you never have to remember anything"

Last edited by Ron_Kendall; Feb 6th, 2008 at 7:33 pm. Reason: Added more info....
post #13 of 14 Old May 14th, 2008, 9:13 am

Re: New Helmet/Helmet-liner design

Great article!
Thank you very much for bringing it to our attention!
post #14 of 14 Old Feb 10th, 2010, 6:56 pm

Re: New Helmet/Helmet-liner design

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
That's really interesting.

I know this sounds completely crazy but I am seriously considering replacing the liner in my Arai with the same material, except 1" thick instead.

Channing and Ron (Beldar) are from France.
Lemme know how it goes...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in