Lojack anyone? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 8:29 am Thread Starter

Garage
Lojack anyone?

Sometime ago, I noticed that Bob's BMW was carrying Lojacks for the bikes they sell. This monring, I came across this story of some idiot in in Texas who got caught on a stolen bike because of the Lojack system:

http://cbs11tv.com/video/[email protected]

Has anyone done an install? Pricing? Details?

First, I was thinking about finding ways to protect my family, now I'm thinking proactively to avoid having my LT stolen? What's next?

Man, I must be getting old!

Rob V.B.
2015 Triumph Explorer 1200
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 BMW R1150 traded for 2002 Yamaha FZ1 traded for a 2003 GSXR 750

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 8:35 am Thread Starter

Garage
From a Lojack Press Release

Below are LoJack's top motorcycle recoveries for 2007:
  • "Biggest Single Chop Shop Recovery" - One LoJack-equipped Suzuki GSX-R600 led Orlando, FL area police and auto theft investigators to discover a chop shop with 11 other non-LoJack equipped motorcycles, 8 motorcycle frames, multiple motorcycle parts and tools, with a total value of $200,000.
  • "Fastest Motorcycle Recovery" - In this recovery, a Yamaha YZF750 was stolen from a locked garage in a gated community outside Denver, CO. Fortunately, the owners also equipped the bike with LoJack and area police were able to find the bike only SIX minutes after system activation.
  • "Best Bust Reflecting the Trend of Selling Stolen Parts Online" - In this recovery, a LoJack-equipped Suzuki GSX600 led Chicago area police to a chop shop with not only multiple stolen motorcycles and engines, but also hundreds of stolen motorcycle parts - all readied to be sold online. Officers discovered that the thieves had more than 200 transactions of selling stolen parts online in the previous six months.
  • "Best Recovery From a Bike Rally" - In this recovery, the owner of a Suzuki GSXR1000 had his bike stolen from a rally in North Myrtle Beach, SC. Fortunately, he equipped the bike with LoJack and area police not only recovered his bike within mere hours of system activation, but also found multiple other stolen motorcycles.
  • "Best Recovery Showcasing Strength of RF Technology" - A stolen LoJack-equipped Yamaha motorcycle led police in Fort Worth, TX to the bike's location in a metal building. Thanks to LoJack's Radio Frequency technology -- which operates even if the stolen asset is in a steel container, under dense foliage or in a concrete building -- the bike was recovered in only 12 minutes after system activation. This recovery also uncovered a chop shop with other stolen bikes.

Rob V.B.
2015 Triumph Explorer 1200
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)

2002 BMW R1150 traded for 2002 Yamaha FZ1 traded for a 2003 GSXR 750

post #3 of 7 Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 9:17 am
Lifetime Supporter

I like the idea. Not sure of the cost. Realistically,how many LT's get stolen though. Crotch rockets or Harleys,that's a different story. When I get a new LT, I will consider it though.

dan

post #4 of 7 Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 10:45 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVB1019
Below are LoJack's top motorcycle recoveries for 2007:
Moral of this story: don't ride a GSX-R.

And if an LT is stolen, you'll probably find it at the first stop sign lying on its side. Or you can follow the final drive oil trail.

Seriously, the risk of an LT getting stolen is pretty low. But if it makes you feel better and you can afford the cost then go for it.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #5 of 7 Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 11:30 am

The cost is about $500-$700. There is no monthly fee . Lojack is a good system. I have recovered several stolen cars with it. Some were in a garage. They are excellent for motorcycles, especially if the motorcycle is common stolen motorcycle. Due to the fact the motorcycle would be put inside some kind of structure. Whether or not it worth the cost to put on the LT is up to you. LTs are not stolen much at all.

Of all the cars I recovered that had Lojack, none were involved in pursuits or wrecked. I like Lojack.

Mike
2005 BMW R1200GS
2003 Kawasaki KLR650
1977 Yamaha RD400
1976 Yamaha RD400
post #6 of 7 Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 1:49 pm
Gold Supporter

Here is a cheaper idea for you. Buy the loJack for your laptop computer (yes, they make one and it is a lot cheaper). Keep it in the bike.

Jerry
Look in the wolf's eyes and what do you see--A guardian spirit or fierce enemy?
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

post #7 of 7 Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 4:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Moral of this story: don't ride a GSX-R.

And if an LT is stolen, you'll probably find it at the first stop sign lying on its side. Or you can follow the final drive oil trail.

Seriously, the risk of an LT getting stolen is pretty low. But if it makes you feel better and you can afford the cost then go for it.
I am still interested to see if ANYONE has even heard of an LT being ripped??

Mike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in