A living legend - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old Feb 2nd, 2008, 7:50 pm Thread Starter

A living legend

I'm not sure this belongs here, but I was so impressed with this man that I wanted to share his story.

I was recently given a framed photo of Rollie Free flat out at 150mph at Bonneville available from Aerostich and then realized that Rollie was one of the men who helped Burt Munro, the subject of "The World's Fastest Indian", set his 200mph record in 1962. This relationship caused me to seek a photo of Burt to hang alongside Rollie's.

While searching the internet, I came in contact with a gentleman from New Zealand who maintained a web-site dedicated to Burt. While he could not provide a suitable photo, he not only put me in contact with someone who could, he put me in contact with someone who was there.

The other man in the movie helping Burt is Marty Dickerson, who set a number of speed records himself. Apparently Mr. Dickerson is not only alive and well in California at the age of 81 years young, and he not only still rides regularly, but he's still setting speed records. In September last year he set an AMA speed record of 151.685 mph at Bonneville on a vintage Vincent.

After exchanging e-mails, I had the opportunity to speak with Mr. Dickerson by phone. Listening to him tell the stories of his achievements and the time he spent with Rollie Free and Burt Munro was fantastic. He was just as gracious toward me as he was to Ol' Burt, as he called him, in 1962.

The man is a living legend and his legend continues to grow. If you ever get to the Bub Speed Trials, introduce yourself. I'm sure he'll be happy to talk to you. You can't miss him... He'll be the guy on the Vincent going 150+ MPH!

Joe
2005 BMW K1200LT
2007 Ducati Monster S4Rs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 12:00 pm

Thumbs up

Very Cool!!!

I can't get enough to the old history. One of my buddies at work, along with his dad, have over 100 old Indians, including at least one of Rollie's.

Also my parents ride goldwings with Ed Kretz, Jr. Ed raced Triumphs himself, but his father was "Iron Man" Ed Kretz, winner of the first Daytona and numerous Laconia races on old Indians. Eddie Jr has a virtual museum of bikes and memorabilia from the races and their buddies back in the day.

Lurch
'40 knucklehead chop
'00 LTC - Pacific Blue
--------------------------------
"As the light changed from red to green to yellow and back to red again, I sat there thinking about life. Was it nothing more than a bunch of honking and yelling? Sometimes it seemed that way. - Jack Handy
post #3 of 3 Old Apr 7th, 2008, 6:47 pm

Re: A living legend

Very Interesting. I'll be going to El Mirage (Southern Cal. Timing Assoc.) next month and I'll bet Marty Dickerson will be there. He would be a great legend to meet. Even Burt visited and tested at El Mirage before he towed the Munro Special up to Bonneville. http://www.scta-bni.org/SCTA-NewWeb/El_Mirage_Main.html

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in