BMW Factory Race Bikes - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Jan 31st, 2008, 7:39 am Thread Starter

BMW Factory Race Bikes

According to the latest edition of the MOA, the factory is bringing over their HP2 race bikes to compete at the Daytona 200 for four riders one of which is Nate Kern. I for one can't wait, I think it'll be great exposure for the factory. BMW has long supported the automotive side of racing in many forms including Formula 1 and I glad too see they are once again supporting the motorcycle side. I also believe they are going to make a stab at the 2009 Moto GP.
For the past two Octobers at Daytona I had the chance to watch Nate and a few others compete on their dealer backed R1200S's. I couldn't believe the RPM's these bikes were turning for 8 hours.
If your down for Bike Week you can check some of the action for free at NASCAR turn three.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Jan 31st, 2008, 1:19 pm
Super Moderator

San Jose BMW is running one of the HP2s in the Daytona 200, and will be running it in several AMA Formula Extreme races this season. Brian Parriott will be the rider on their entry. I hadn't heard they were running more than one entry in the race.

And BMW will be running in World Superbike in 2009, not MotoGP. This will be on a new 1000cc machine yet to be released.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old Jan 31st, 2008, 3:33 pm Thread Starter

Talking

According to the Feb issue of ON
It looks like the four factory riders are Austrian Thomas Hinterreiter, German Rico Penzkofer, and Americans Nate Kern and Brain Parriot.
It was pretty neat this past October seeing the few spectators that were there were flying BMW flags. This should make a great race!

Your right about the Super Bike instead of the Moto GP. Maybe the following year they'll do a factory effort here in the AMA super bike series.

post #4 of 7 Old Feb 1st, 2008, 1:14 am
Super Moderator

Cool, the more the merrier! I'll be rooting for Brian, though. I know SJ BMW will be running the HP2 with Brian in at least 4-5 other AMA Formula Extreme races this season, and possibly more. I think it's great they're getting to do this, even if a limited schedule. Yet another reason to go to the races or watch Speed!

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 Old Feb 1st, 2008, 10:51 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTaylor
San Jose BMW is running one of the HP2s in the Daytona 200, and will be running it in several AMA Formula Extreme races this season. Brian Parriott will be the rider on their entry. I hadn't heard they were running more than one entry in the race.

And BMW will be running in World Superbike in 2009, not MotoGP. This will be on a new 1000cc machine yet to be released.
Wish I was going to be at Daytona to watch this. Would note the HP2's in Daytona are all BMW factory teams. SJ BMW, with a great history of racing, appears will not have a presence.. at least at Daytona. More info here:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread.php?t=389699
post #6 of 7 Old Feb 2nd, 2008, 12:00 am
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfarson
Wish I was going to be at Daytona to watch this. Would note the HP2's in Daytona are all BMW factory teams. SJ BMW, with a great history of racing, appears will not have a presence.. at least at Daytona. More info here:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread.php?t=389699
San Jose is running one of the HP2s at Daytona, but it's probably under the corporate banner. The factory is delivering the bike to them at the track, but it's their race team that will be managing and running Brian's bike. The rest of the races may be done under SJBMW Racing, but I know they're getting some factory support so they may be campaigning under the corporate flags in the rest of the races was well. Either way, BMWs will be racing, friends of mine are doing it, and it's a helluva lot of fun to watch!

Here's a link to some pics I took of the SJBMW race team at Infineon Raceway in September. They had Brian and Nate running both of their R1200S race prepped bikes. Brian one 3 of the 4 races he was entered in that day.

http://www.davidkari.com/SJBMW_Infineon.htm

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

post #7 of 7 Old Feb 2nd, 2008, 6:35 am Thread Starter

This is all very exciting. BMW does have it's worked cut out for them, I think they'll put on a good show and if they finish in the top ten I would consider that a huge success. As long as they don't embarrass themselves like Buell has (I doubt that will happen) it will go a long way in promoting the brand as the average person hasn't a clue that BMW makes motorcycles.
Watching four bikes abreast at close to 200 mph in the banking is inspiring to say the least. I'm sure Speed will cover the action. My disappointment will be trying to find the time to brake away from our booth to see some of the action. Wish they ran this at night like they do the fall race!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in