Motorcyle Show Cleveland - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old Jan 27th, 2008, 9:22 am Thread Starter

Motorcyle Show Cleveland

Was it just me or did anyone visiting the Cleveland Motorcycle show think it was terribly unorganized (vendor area)?? With as big a space as they have to work with, I just couldnt get in a proper flow? Or was it just that crowded? the place was packed. Dont think I will go on Sat. afternoon again.

Just wondered if it was me.

Glen
Litchfield
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old Jan 27th, 2008, 9:58 am

I know what you're saying, Glen. The north ends of the aisles were awkwardly set up. The aisles didn't run all the way from north to south, so you had to lots of backtracking if you wanted to see every little vendor at the show.

For me, the bigger negative was the traffic getting to the show. I posted about this previously so I won't rant about it again. Joe has a secret back entrace (from the west side, around the airport?) so we should follow him in next year!

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/URL]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 Old Jan 27th, 2008, 10:03 am Thread Starter

It was as crowded as I have ever seen it howard, and next time we will give you the short cut, exit at bagley and go to 237 and you come in from the south, or as Joe said the backdoor is a little trickier.

So did you like the v-strom?

Glen

post #4 of 17 Old Jan 27th, 2008, 10:04 am

This is good to hear:

The Atlanta show was set up poorly and the show itself was terrible.

Visit
_ Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but always enough time to do it over?
post #5 of 17 Old Jan 27th, 2008, 10:08 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenhinegardner
It was as crowded as I have ever seen it howard, and next time we will give you the short cut, exit at bagley and go to 237 and you come in from the south, or as Joe said the backdoor is a little trickier.

So did you like the v-strom?

Glen
237 from the south would have saved me almost an hour of sitting on Snow Rd.

Yes, it my first in-person look at the V-Stroms. I talked at length with a Suzuki rep who showed me the bikes, pointed out the differences, etc. Threw a leg over each one. Nice bike, nice price, easy maintenance. Very different from a full-on touring bike, of course.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #6 of 17 Old Jan 27th, 2008, 11:07 am
fas

Talking Go Friday......beat the traffic

As some of you already know, KTM is one of my clients, so I was there Friday afternoon to make sure all was well. Drove right up to the gate to park, handed the gal my $8, and entered the show at 3:30. Show formally opened at 4. I walked the complete show, had a $5.50 Labatts Blue draft beer, and left at 7:30. Very light attendance Friday evening. KTM gave me a FREE ticket too!

I liked the Ducati display. Jeff & Sally Saltzman who own Crooked River Motorcycles (Akron Duc dealership) seem like really good people. Jeff quoted retail for the 1098 family ($15,995 base, $19,995 S, $39,995 R). I might go get one of those Ducs next.....

Shot of my new 990 Super Duke attached.

With the new Boxster S, the 2006 GT, and the new Duke, something gotta go. My 100 year old garage can't handle my toys.

Check classifieds for the GT listing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0556.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	16252  

Rob Nelson

2006 K1200GT [now lives in Wisconsin]
Grey Goose
2002 K1200LTC [now lives in Georgia]
Toscana Temptress

More than 132,000 (recently corrected higher) motorcycle riders have died in traffic crashes since the enactment of the Highway Safety Act of 1966 and The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966. Be careful out there.
post #7 of 17 Old Jan 27th, 2008, 12:10 pm

Quote:
Was it just me or did anyone visiting the Cleveland Motorcycle show think it was terribly unorganized (vendor area)?? With as big a space as they have to work with, I just couldnt get in a proper flow? Or was it just that crowded? the place was packed. Dont think I will go on Sat. afternoon again.

Just wondered if it was me.
Having attended this show for many years in a row, I can tell you that it was arranged very differently than any other year. I did not like it as well. I'm hoping they will learn from this mistake and re-evaluate next year.

Speaking of next year ... I should post Garmin routes from each direction so as to help my brothers that are coming from afar to visit the IX Center. I'll also include a waypoint for the BEST Mexican restaurant in the area . . . a whole 3 minutes away from the parking lot of the show. Nancy, my niece, a friend, and myself ate there afterward and it was just as awesome as usual. A great way to end a long day of motorcycle gawking.
post #8 of 17 Old Jan 27th, 2008, 4:10 pm

Just got back from the show (Sunday). Traffic no problem - drove right in on 237 without even slowing down. Parked pretty much up front at about 11:00 a.m. Lots of people, but not shoulder to shoulder. Usually avoid the last day of shows, since vendors seem pretty much exhausted and start packing up early to leave, but didn't notice much of that, this time.

Carl

Euclid, Ohio
2003 Silver LTE
1971 HD XLH Sportster
post #9 of 17 Old Jan 27th, 2008, 7:06 pm Thread Starter

Well the snow and cold will be gone soon,then we will be able to talk about good things, like riding motorcycles.

Hang in there

Glen

ps.. no comments from our brothers in the south please!
post #10 of 17 Old Jan 27th, 2008, 7:13 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Trade Show Layout

I attend at least a half dozen national & international trade shows every year. The big spenders are given the space near the entrance for traffic exposure and pay accordingly. Based on fees our company has to pay I'd estimate that the major players shell out $5-10K. However, since this is a national traveling show and they gain revenue from attendees, it may not be that much.

It is difficult to take it all in, in a methodical manner since the isles are broken up by the larger displays, but really guys, how much did you drop at the leather vest shoppe or anti-fog spray on your glasses booth. It's been my recent experience that the BMWMOA and CCR are well supported by vendors that are of interest to the BMW owners/riders. I wasn't that impressed by the BMWRA in Asheville, but the entire venue was outside.

I do like to "people watch". There wasn't much eye candy but I wouldn't let my SO parade around like some of the leather ladies(?)

Watched the BMW booth and activity around the LT. There were many HOG members that climbed on and smiled. There was even one telling all his friends about the heated seats, grips, hydraulic center stand and electric windshield. Not sure you can see it in the photos, but all of the models had some type of Harley insignia. Mentioned to one onlooker that I rode back from Lake of the Ozarks in one day. His jaw dropped.

Photos of potential new members to www.bmwlt.com ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0183.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	252.4 KB
ID:	16263   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0184.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	224.7 KB
ID:	16264   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0185.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	245.1 KB
ID:	16265   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0186.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	200.9 KB
ID:	16266  

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

Last edited by PMitchell; Jan 27th, 2008 at 8:10 pm.
post #11 of 17 Old Jan 27th, 2008, 10:37 pm

So this is what it feels like going around a corner over 50 mph?

Neil '00 K1200LT '08 KLR
"Far away, is far away...
Only if you don't go!!!"
post #12 of 17 Old Jan 28th, 2008, 5:35 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironbuttwannabe

Actually, believe it was a recovery from vertigo . . .

(Really, a non-flash photo & he moved! Great sub-title though. I posted it because of the Harley patch)

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #13 of 17 Old Jan 28th, 2008, 6:28 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironbuttwannabe
Nope. That's what it feels like at 80 years old!
post #14 of 17 Old Jan 28th, 2008, 7:12 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMitchell
I attend at least a half dozen national & international trade shows every year. The big spenders are given the space near the entrance for traffic exposure and pay accordingly. Based on fees our company has to pay I'd estimate that the major players shell out $5-10K. However, since this is a national traveling show and they gain revenue from attendees, it may not be that much.

It is difficult to take it all in, in a methodical manner since the isles are broken up by the larger displays, but really guys, how much did you drop at the leather vest shoppe or anti-fog spray on your glasses booth. It's been my recent experience that the BMWMOA and CCR are well supported by vendors that are of interest to the BMW owners/riders. I wasn't that impressed by the BMWRA in Asheville, but the entire venue was outside.

I do like to "people watch". There wasn't much eye candy but I wouldn't let my SO parade around like some of the leather ladies(?)

Watched the BMW booth and activity around the LT. There were many HOG members that climbed on and smiled. There was even one telling all his friends about the heated seats, grips, hydraulic center stand and electric windshield. Not sure you can see it in the photos, but all of the models had some type of Harley insignia. Mentioned to one onlooker that I rode back from Lake of the Ozarks in one day. His jaw dropped.

Photos of potential new members to www.bmwlt.com ?
It's approximately $2K for a 10' x 20' not including union fees for carting your stuff in and out. Also at most of the Cycle World venues you can not set up your booth yourself if it's bigger then a 10'x 10', you must hire union labor including union electricians. So a display like BMW, Honda, Ducati, must be costing closer to $20K per show, not including paying for sales associates, lodging, transportation, etc.
The problem with vendors at the RA rally last year was it was being held at almost the same time as Americade. This year it's the same time as the Honda Hoot. Since I wasn't impressed with the Hoot last year I'll be heading for the RA rally in the UP. This year I believe the Moto GP in CA. is the same time as the MOA national, so I don't know if that's going to hurt the MOA or not.
This year will be a tough year for vendors. The economy and fuel prices (Diesel is thru the roof) are making it tough. It will really be tough for alot of the smaller rallies, it no longer makes sense to do some of these now. You can't even make enough to pay expenses!

Last edited by nplenzick; Jan 28th, 2008 at 7:23 am.
post #15 of 17 Old Jan 28th, 2008, 8:43 am

I attended the show in Novi, Mi. and volunteered to work the LT display at the BMW booth so the guys could take a break and grab some lunch. In the several hours I spent there I would have to say that 90% of the people drooling over the LT were either HOG members or Honda riders.

Most could'nt believe that the ABS were standard, unlike HD and Honda,but the power windshield and centerstand really had them drooling. Once they got on the bike they did'nt want to get off. Most wished they could ride one and were shocked when told " No Problem" dealer will let you test ride one as long as there was no snow or ice on the roads

I wonder how many we converted ?

Pat Rourke
White Lake,MI.
2002 K1200 LTC, Champange

post #16 of 17 Old Jan 28th, 2008, 9:19 am

Quote:
Joe said the backdoor is a little trickier.

hmmmmmm.....sums it up right there, eh Joe?

F

BMWMOA
12 GTL
post #17 of 17 Old Jan 28th, 2008, 9:22 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
the BEST Mexican restaurant in the area . . . a whole 3 minutes away from the parking lot of the show.)
You must be talking about Maya......great Mexican food, better margaritas and even better pricing.

F

BMWMOA
12 GTL

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in