Battery Tender Goes to Error after 2/3 Full - BMW Charger - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old Jan 24th, 2008, 6:34 pm Thread Starter

Battery Tender Goes to Error after 2/3 Full - BMW Charger

I have a 07R1200RT. When I bought the bike I purchased the BMW battery tender. Went home plugged it in (and not in any particular order or procedure - bike turned off plugged tender into wall then into accessory socket) - always worked like a charm.

Months pass and I decided to have my dealer install my Garmin 2820 with XM puck antenna, and Valentine 1 Radar all routed through an Autocom. Took the bike home and have not been able to use the tender since without it going to error. When it goes to error there is a light clicking sound. When I went to locate the source of the sound (took off the seat) I noticed that the clicking sound coordinated with the power light on the autocom blinking. So bike sat over the summer (I know - for shame) and ofcourse lost the battery. Got a new battery. Same issue.

Took the bike and tender to the dealer - they set up and let it run overnight and OF COURSE it worked fine - no error. They gave me a sheet of paper from BMW indicating that the "proper" procedure - that I never used before the gps and valentine install and it worked fine. I followed the procedure exactly as printed and voila - same problem. I even switched outlets in the garage - just in case.

I do know that the power for the gps, valentine, etc, was hooked up through the accessory socket. Dealer indicates that should not be a problem. I have tried the other socket under the passenger seat - same result.

HELP - any ideas suggestions?

"But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security." - Declaration of Independence
<center>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Jan 25th, 2008, 6:00 pm

my experience is: if the Tender is clicking, the connection is reverse polarity -- somehow the + and - are switched.

Jim Taylor
Minneapolis
07 Black LT "Dancing Heart", 03 Quantum "Ice"
02 Black LTC "Raven" (RIP 8/26/06)
08 Can-Am Spyder (hers) (#731)
post #3 of 3 Old Jan 28th, 2008, 8:21 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply. The tender is not clicking. The clicking sound is coming from somewhere under the tank towards the battery. The autocom power light lights up with each clicking sound which means the autocom must somehow be getting power intermittently during the charge. But the odd thing is that it only does it after it has been on the 2/3 light for quite awhile.

We will keep searching.

Thanks again.

"But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security." - Declaration of Independence
<center>

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in