Converting another from the "Dark Side" - HD to RT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 8:11 am Thread Starter
KIC

Question Converting another from the "Dark Side" - HD to RT

I posted this down in the RT section and only had one reply. I am hoping there may be more current or past R1100RT owners here.

Okay.. Heres the deal. Have the opportunity to help convert a Harley owner to a BMW owner. He would like to work a deal on the bike before the guy leaves on travel again or starts advertising the bike.

I have only had K bikes. So R bikes are not familiar to me. I went to look at the bike with him a couple of days ago.

He is looking at a 1999 R1100RT. 55K miles, newish Metzler Z6 tires, looks like a new Hagon front shock. Has both rear side cases and a rear top case. Heated grips. Nice condition, few scratches here and there. No radio, intercom etc.

Current owner is a friend/co-worker of his and travels a lot so the bike doesnt get ridden that much and he thinks it would be better to sell then let it sit. He bought it from another friend/co-worker of theirs some time back.

Bike started right up. Since Im not familiar with the R series, it had a little engine vibration while idling (not as smooth as my K bikes). Seemed natural, not like a miss.

Said he wants $5,000 for it (we think he would drop to $4,500.00)

What is the back ground on these bikes? Do they have FD failures like the LT ?

Does the price sound fair? Good? Bad?

Are there any special questions to ask, issues to check into?

I am just trying to convert another one over from the "dark side"

PROUD FATHER OF A MILITARY DAUGHTER !.
She's for sale
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SOLD 7-19-08 [url]

There are those who ride BMW's.. and those who wish they did.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ron's R11/1 Vergasser's - 1st Wingman

Sophmore : BMWLT - University of Luxury Touring Education

2000 K1200LTC Champagne SOLD 7-08
2006 KLR 650 - RED- The fast dual sport color !
2002 TW 200 - White/Blue - #1,The wife's CRF replacement.
2002 TW 200 - WhiteBlue - #2, My matching toy
2001 XT 225 - White/Blue - Sold 7/08
92 K75S Red and fast (sadly gone)

Yamaha YZ 250 for the dirt ( still good use for a smokin' 2-stroke !) In critical care 4/08
Honda CRF 230F - Wifey's dirt fun. (Sold)
Many Honda 750 F's (May they Rest In Peace)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 8:26 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIC
I posted this down in the RT section and only had one reply. I am hoping there may be more current or past R1100RT owners here.

Okay.. Heres the deal. Have the opportunity to help convert a Harley owner to a BMW owner. He would like to work a deal on the bike before the guy leaves on travel again or starts advertising the bike.

I have only had K bikes. So R bikes are not familiar to me. I went to look at the bike with him a couple of days ago.

He is looking at a 1999 R1100RT. 55K miles, newish Metzler Z6 tires, looks like a new Hagon front shock. Has both rear side cases and a rear top case. Heated grips. Nice condition, few scratches here and there. No radio, intercom etc.

Current owner is a friend/co-worker of his and travels a lot so the bike doesnt get ridden that much and he thinks it would be better to sell then let it sit. He bought it from another friend/co-worker of theirs some time back.

Bike started right up. Since Im not familiar with the R series, it had a little engine vibration while idling (not as smooth as my K bikes). Seemed natural, not like a miss.

Said he wants $5,000 for it (we think he would drop to $4,500.00)

What is the back ground on these bikes? Do they have FD failures like the LT ?

Does the price sound fair? Good? Bad?

Are there any special questions to ask, issues to check into?

I am just trying to convert another one over from the "dark side"
Not sure about the price (Click Here! ) & (Click Here!) but I had a rental/tour bike in Italy in '06 that had 80+K miles on the clock. The owner of the tour company gave me a discount since it had so much mileage. He said that they check it semi-annually and everything, including compression is w/in spec. It rode like a BMW . . . on & on & on!
Good luck . . . sounds like a deal!

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #3 of 6 Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 10:59 am

I had a 98-RT before moving to the LT. The bikes are very nice and if not for two up riding I would still have it. I dont believe that they had the driveshaft problem. It was a great bike and with all those goodies its at a good price.
Jim

Jim in Dublin, OH

2005 - LT Ocean Blue (Catuffalo - Part Cat / Part Buffalo)
2002 - Moto Guzzi Cal Spec Sport
2000 - Moto Guzzi V11 Sport

post #4 of 6 Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 4:14 pm

I had an 00 RT and sold it for my LT. I had no complaints about the bike it is VERY reliable. No FD issues that I ever heard of. The biggest complaint for pre-02 RT's is "surging" or a galloping like feel when the bike's ridden at certain RPM's. Surging is simply an annoyance and does not effect the engine at all. There are various fixes for the problem I used to belong to BMWsporttouring.com or .net. Its pretty much and Rt dedicated web site and there are wuite a few "fixes" if it becomes bothersome.

The shake you refer to is indicative of all boxer twins, its what gives em thier personality. I hafta tell you if I didnt have an LT I would have an RT or GS, those boxer twins run like stink!

Tom
post #5 of 6 Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 4:16 pm

BTW 5k sounds like a good price so 4.5k is better still. Dont worry about the mileage, its still getting broke in

Tom
post #6 of 6 Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 5:29 pm

Garage
I had a 2000 RT with 72,000 when I traded for my 07 RT. I thought it was a great bike. It did surge some but a valve adjustment,tb sync and autolite rn9yc's took care it it. I feel the wind protection was better than my new RT. Shifting takes some getting used to but thats the nature of the beast. $4500 sounds like a good price to me. I'd say go for it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in