BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Static Tire Balancer

2K views 25 replies 15 participants last post by  bowlesj 
#1 ·

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Thanks Dave,

Did you need an adapter for the rear wheel or was the "universal fit" OK? I always thought I needed one of those BMW rear wheel adapters for axle-type balancers?

Hard to beat $105.00 if you don't need the adapter.

"EDIT" I just re-read the Marc's web page and saw "DOES NOT require a Dealer supplied rear wheel adaptor."

Joe

#3 ·
Joe, find someone with a Marc Parnes near you and try it. Simple,easy to use,stores in small place and FUN to use. Bubble balancers are ok except you have to relevel the base each time you move it. I have done dozens and dozens of car tires using a similar bubble balancer. It does work fine for them. But the MP is a better choice.

dan

#4 ·
If I remember correctly, Marc sends out his balancer with necessary adaptors for your bike with the initial order. Then you buy other adaptors if you have other bikes requiring such. The best is to get hold of him. Marc is easy to talk to.

joegottberg said:
Did you need an adapter for the rear wheel or was the "universal fit" OK? I always thought I needed one of those BMW rear wheel adapters for axle-type balancers?
Joe

#5 ·
I use the Marc Parnes balancer for my LT and GS. Works right out of the box. No adapters needed. :D

#6 ·
But my Birthday isn't until November.

Oh, I know, my Wife has always been hinting about a tire balancer and Valentines Day is coming up :think:

I guess I need to take the plunge.

Thanks for all the advice.

Joe

#8 ·
MikeERideWNC said:
Why not spend the extra several hundred dollars and get a computer balancer? :rolleyes:

I love mine.
Aw Come on, whats the challenge in that :D

If only $$ wasn't an object, instead of the only object :rolleyes:

Wish I lived closer, to check the rig out.

#9 ·
I used my MP balancer to check my last computer balance.. :eek:

That is how good it is.. With a computer balance just because it says the tire is in balance you are limited in accuracy on what it is programmed and what it is calibrated for. Do you know what that is? I didn't and that is why I bought mine last summer.

BTW, you can get really anal with the MP balancer and it is not necessary.. but it sure removes any doubt on if your tire/wheel is in balance..

#10 ·
Static tire balancer

I have been to over a dozen AMA superbike races and have NEVER seen a computer balancer used. Static balancers only at the tire manufactures tents.
AMA superbike = 185 MPH
BMW anything = never mind
Static is all you need.

#12 ·
Bosshoss said:
I have been to over a dozen AMA superbike races and have NEVER seen a computer balancer used. Static balancers only at the tire manufactures tents.
AMA superbike = 185 MPH
BMW anything = never mind
Static is all you need.
Yep, every race bike I ever ran had static balanced tires, but ALWAYS balanced.

#13 ·
Trust me! You can really tell when a computer balancer is off.

I don't know what brand you were comparing... I have a Snap-On.
It was always better than perfect. I used to static balance, I even had the Coats MC bubble balancer at one time. But then I got older and lazier.
When I moved to NC my balancer bounched off of the trailer wall about 150 times to many...
When I balanced the front tire on my VFR and test rode it, I could barely hang on to the bars because it was wobbling so bad.
Needles to say for 680.00 Snap-On reconditioned it and recalibrated it good as new.

A good computer balancer will do both spin and static.
A Road force balance like they do with cars would be nice, too.
Then at least you would know if the tire was bad or not.

#14 ·
John, pick a date in early April, I will need a new back tire by then and Jack will definately need new ones for his, well maybe not he will probably only have about 200 miles more on his bike than now

#16 ·
bowlesj said:
I have a Marc Parnes. You want to check it out?

We could meet at Jack's for his GT tire change and then balance it just for the heck of it.:)
John,

Sounds great. I may end up changing a front tire before then since I actually "Ride Mine".

It would be really interesting to check it with the exisitng weights (and dots at the stem) and where the new weights go.

Looks like April!

Joe

#20 ·
jayz9705 said:
Just to add to the Marc Parnes 'mystique'........it looks like he will be one of our Vendor/Supporters for this years CCR!!

Support those who support you!!!

Now THAT is a great reason to buy one. After I see John's work at my house in April, I just may do that! You guys just let me know and around april or so, we'll have a tire changin' day that is awesome! I'll order my Michelin Road 2's by then!

BTW John, you are welcome to use my tire changer any time you need it! So are any of you others guys too. ;) Just keep your no-runnin, seal leakin', rear drive failin', radio crashin', quick disconnect leakin', linkage breakin', clutch slippin' LT's outta my garage! :p :histerica

#21 ·
April seems so far off yet. But the truth is it is only a couple months. I need to get started on my bike! Winter is going so fast. :)

Jack, I wouldn't start bragging about your bike just yet. Look what happens to shadowofashoe (aka cheezcake) everytime he starts saying how good a team from Ohio is playing. :histerica

#22 ·
ironbuttwannabe said:
Jack, I wouldn't start bragging about your bike just yet. Look what happens to shadowofashoe (aka cheezcake) everytime he starts saying how good a team from Ohio is playing. :histerica

Now, THAT is funny! It only takes one OSU player to change a flat tire...that is, of course, unless it's a blowout and then the whole team is involved! :histerica

Anyway, I just want Mike, John, Joe and all you other LT riders to know that I actually went out into the garage and SAT on my bike, so it wouldn't feel neglected. Heck, I might even put 210 miles on it before April! (Now you know why I never worried about balancing those tires!) :histerica

#23 ·
Static balancing must work, compared to the (theoretically) better dynamic balancing, only because the wheels and tires are so close to being balanced as manufactured.

Consider a balanced wheel. Now put 10 pounds of mass at one point on the rim, and put another 10 pounds of mass on the rim at the same radial distance from the center, but 180 degrees away from the first mass. The wheel is still in static balance, but it sure ain't gonna ride very well.

If you put two more 10 pound masses on the rim, this time at 90 degrees from the other masses, the wheel will now be in both static and dynamic balance.

After seeing only static balancers at the race track, static balancing of my cycle wheels is good enough for me.

- Bob

#25 ·
cccpastorjack said:
Anyway, I just want Mike, John, Joe and all you other LT riders to know that I actually went out into the garage and SAT on my bike, so it wouldn't feel neglected. Heck, I might even put 210 miles on it before April! (Now you know why I never worried about balancing those tires!) :histerica

Now only in the spirit of being a good samaritan, I'll offer to help "keep the carbon from building up in your engine" during these long winer months :D We'll get you needing new tires before I DO! :histerica

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.