Suzuki V-Strom: 650 or 1000? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 Old Jan 19th, 2008, 10:02 pm Thread Starter

Question Suzuki V-Strom: 650 or 1000?

For those of you with past or present experience with both flavors of the V-Strom, how did you decide between the 650 and the 1000?

Is there a significant difference in feel between the 2 displacements (performance, handling)? Fuel efficiency?

Would you make the same V-Strom choice (650 v. 1000) if you could do it over again?

Would you make the same choice (V-Strom v. anything else) if you could do it over again?

I have a passing interest in the V-Strom, and having looked at them again today these questions came to mind. The anticipated use is as a daily commuter and one-up bike, keeping the K1200LT for two-up riding.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/URL]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old Jan 19th, 2008, 11:19 pm
BMW Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
For those of you with past or present experience with both flavors of the V-Strom, how did you decide between the 650 and the 1000?

Is there a significant difference in feel between the 2 displacements (performance, handling)? Fuel efficiency?

Would you make the same V-Strom choice (650 v. 1000) if you could do it over again?

Would you make the same choice (V-Strom v. anything else) if you could do it over again?

I have a passing interest in the V-Strom, and having looked at them again today these questions came to mind. The anticipated use is as a daily commuter and one-up bike, keeping the K1200LT for two-up riding.
They don't make the DL1000 any more so you're looking at used bikes right?

For a one up commuter bike the 650 should be great. And less expensive than the 1000...

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

post #3 of 33 Old Jan 20th, 2008, 1:54 am
Super Moderator

When I got my 95 GS I also test rode a 2001 DL1000 the dealer had in stock. When I started looking for the second bike I was almost completely sold on getting the V-Strom. I am REALLY happy I rode both first. The DL delivers more power and is faster than the GS, but the ergonomics, handling and feel of the GS were much better in my opinion. Also there is a weird vibration in the DL that I could feel through the seat almost all the time and through the footpegs as RPMs climbed. I think that was the reason one of the tail rack bolts kept backing out, because I had to tighten it back down 3 times during the test ride. And this wasn't a beater, it was low mileage and very clean.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #4 of 33 Old Jan 20th, 2008, 2:31 am

The Suzuki web site shows a 2008 V-Strom 1000:
http://www.suzukicycles.com/Products...8/Default.aspx

I've been considering another ride to Alaska in '09. I'd like to take a dual sport. I'm considering either a V-Strom, or GS.

The 1200GS is $; the 800GS is not yet in the U.S. and has a less than 5 gallon tank; the DL1000 is less pricey than either GS, and has a 5.8 gallon tank ---
but no ABS.

Decisions...

Tom Lashbrook
Napa, CA
Minden, NV

On the road to wreck, and ruin -— but making great time.
post #5 of 33 Old Jan 20th, 2008, 5:53 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlash
The Suzuki web site shows a 2008 V-Strom 1000:
http://www.suzukicycles.com/Products...8/Default.aspx

I've been considering another ride to Alaska in '09. I'd like to take a dual sport. I'm considering either a V-Strom, or GS.

The 1200GS is $; the 800GS is not yet in the U.S. and has a less than 5 gallon tank; the DL1000 is less pricey than either GS, and has a 5.8 gallon tank ---
but no ABS.

Decisions...
Gas tank capacity is not the important metric to focus on, fuel range is. I believe that the F800 gets about 60 mpg x 5 gal = 300 miles which is more than I can get out of the 6.6 gals on my R1150RT. You should compare fuel range on all of the bikes you are considering, and the MPG number should be based on your riding style.

Best of luck on your decision. I know a few BMW guys who have chosen the 650 Vstrom due to plenty of power and better agility over the DL-1000. YMMV of course!

'07 - R1200RT Slippery Silver

MOA #107139
RA #28511

Past rides:
'03 R1150RT - MAXed out
'03 K1200LTC - Gone to the Darko side
'00 Kawasaki Concours - Buzz
'71 Honda SL350 - The original dual-sport
'72 Kawasaki 250 triple - The smoking gun
'67 Montgomery Wards 125 - Thrashed to death
post #6 of 33 Old Jan 20th, 2008, 8:54 am

I can only chime in on the DL650. They are pretty nice bikes. Good handling in corners although it has a 19" front wheel. My brother bought one in June. You don't here much of any problems with the bikes. I rode it one day about 350 miles and it doesn't have near the wind protection as the LT, but you can get different aftermarket windscreens. He's about as tall as you are and it sits very comfortable for him.

As far as mileage he used it only as a commuter on the highway and always got around 58 - 60 mpg.

Not sure if you are looking at new ones or not, but they did started putting ABS on the 08. I'm not sure if you are able to turn it off though. You can get aftermarket grips fairly cheap too. He's been running soft luggage on his and it is working good.

It's pretty hard to beat the price, somewhere around $6,500 out the door for non-ABS.

Neil '00 K1200LT '08 KLR
"Far away, is far away...
Only if you don't go!!!"
post #7 of 33 Old Jan 20th, 2008, 10:46 am

Smile

I have had 2 new DL1000's (2003 + 2007) and love them. I would not get the 650 as the 1000 is significantly better and a more sophisticated and elegant creature. It is dual exhaust, has idle adjustment, 35 more HP, hydraulic clutch, better swing arm, etc, etc for the $2000 difference.
The 650 is for the cheap(er) version. I want the most V-strom I could get.
*The cheap guys who say the 650 handles better are lying and don't have th extra 2K they want to spend on the bike.. I have yet to have a 650 keep up with me on either a mountain road, the freeway or on the dirt. The only guys who outride me are other faster DL1000 rider, which are far and few.
PS. On the FREEWAY the 650 will be [email protected] 5500 RPM while the 1000 is just loping along @ 3500 RPM and both have a 6th gear overdrive.
You can change the forward cog to change the gear ratio on the 650 to make it fwy compatable, but why not just get the 1000 and have the power and horsepower in the first place??

MY S/O says they DL1000 is more comfortable for the passenger than either the HD Ultra dresser, Goldwing or our FJR.

I have not had any problems, NOT 1 warranty gripe with either bike.
I had 23000 miles on the 03 when someone made me an offer on it after I won the Field game events at the 06 State BMW rally and new bike lust kicked in for the FJR1300 which we still have.

Since selling my 05 LT now that I live on a long gravel road out in the country and my S/O rides the FJR I bought a new 07 in September and with only 2 bags of gas thru the tank took off on our 2300+ mile ride down to Sea Ranch Ca via lonely back roads thru Oregon to the 1/101 and had a blast.

With my new NationalCycle Windshield I have as much quiet and upper body protection as I had on the LT. I am quite amazed with the bike.
Fuel Mileage is not nearly as good as the LT with only averaging 42-46 mpg but boy is it fun!! No drive shaft failures, no clutch failures, no Halo key failures, no nonsense with any recalcitrant high tech maintenance issues.

No need to do valve adjustments until 25,000 miles, change the oil every 5k and NGK Hi-tech spark plugs every 25K along with the air filter and you are good to go. The bike is bullett proof and while I have had the valves checked they never needed adjustment.

I do miss ABS and that is the only thing this bike needs. The stock seat works fine. The seat is far better than the LT seat and my legs are much more relaxed and not bent backwards like on the LT. Under seat storage is ample enough to carry all my tools and
an air compressor. I never needed to even adjust the (real tubular) handlebars
as they fit just right. The windshield is all I needed and I installed my Garmin 2610 GPS hardwired into the system and a set of Heated grips and I did 3000+ miles the first month of ownership. The bike is great for the price & for the no worry reliability and very light maintenance requirments.

47+ Yrs Daily Motorcycle Street riding for Therapy

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour

2007 Black Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - Sold
2007 Red Moto Guzzi Norge 1200 - Sold
2005 LT Dark Graphite - (Sold)
2005 PearlBlue FJR1300 (Sold)
3 BMW's, 8 HD baggers, 3 Goldwings & 860K + miles later
*Ridin steady since 1973

Last edited by usmctpdog; Jan 20th, 2008 at 10:52 am.
post #8 of 33 Old Jan 20th, 2008, 12:21 pm

V-strom

I don’t know about the DL1000. I was not interested in that size motorcycle since I already have the LT ( but if its that much better then the 650 as described in an earlier post then its quite a bike)
I was in the market for a 500 – 750cc bike, and as a second bike I really like the 650 V-Strom. I got mine used last spring and haven’t had any problems, and I was pleasantly surprised with the get up and go for a 650. I actually get more questions and comments from fellow riders on the V-strom than on the LT. There are lots of accessories from lots of different manufacturers.
If your interested there is a forum similar to this one, but dedicated to the V-Strom.

www.stromtrooper.com

Good luck in your search.

Brad B
00 Honda 1100 Shadow(previous)
01 K1200LT(previous)
05 DL650 V-Strom Red(previous)
06 K1200GT Blue
N.Canton, Oh
post #9 of 33 Old Jan 20th, 2008, 2:45 pm

I've had my DL1000 for about a year now. It's probably the best all-around bike I've ever owned.

They run a little rough when new due to break-in, and because they are often delivered with throttle bodies out of synch. Once broken in and synched they are terrific.

Plenty of torque and decent handling. The only shortcoming of the bike is the brakes, but you can fix that with stainless lines/better pads.

If I were interested in going off-road a lot I might consider the 650. But I'm mostly a road rider.

It is extremely comfortable and there are lots of windscreens/handlebars/heated grips to improve that further.

The best thing about the Strom is reliability and inexpensive maintenance costs. I have never had a single problem with the bike, and wouldn't hesitate to ride it anywhere, including Alaska.
post #10 of 33 Old Jan 20th, 2008, 2:52 pm

Forgot to add ... I paid $7k out the door, for a brand-new '06 leftover.
post #11 of 33 Old Jan 20th, 2008, 8:31 pm

Smile Had the DL1000

Hi Howard:

I had a 2002 VStrom 1000 before I bought the LT.
It was everything that the other posts have said and it was even big enought and comfortable enought that it seduced my wife to begin riding with me. As soon as that happened I traded it in on the LT as it is, in my opinion, not really a good all day 2 up mount, except for hardened 2 uppers.

Never rode the 650 but, if it is any lighter than the 1000, and I'm sure it is, I wouldn't have liked it anyway. The 1000 is a very light bike, which, depending on your view point, can be a liability. My main complaint with the 1000 was that at something like 432 lbs I found it a little hair-raising when it would get light in the steering head on the highways when passing transports.
Getting stuck behind a tractor-trailer at 70 - 75 mph and then pulling out to pass would give me considerable wind blast and cause a very uncomfortable jittering.
Other than that he bike ran beautifully and I travelled to Maine from Hamilton as well as to Americade. Nive handling and lots of power but I find the plantedness of the LT to be far more confidence inspiring.

Great round town bike for the money.

JS
post #12 of 33 Old Jan 21st, 2008, 8:35 am

I had a 2002 DL 1000 (may it RIP). 2002 was the first year model for the strom. Bought it as soon as I saw it, bascially. Mine was vin #00086 - one of the first ones built and had no weird problems that have been ddescribed on the net, i.e. "idle hammer" and clutch basket and such. I don;t remember any weird vibrations anywhere. I did try some light off-roading and it was a handful. 650 or a GS might be better if you have any offroad aspirations. On pavement, that bike was incredible! I couldn't find it's limits, thankfully. I ran out of nerve before it ran out of ability.

I was ready to trade my LT on a new Vstrom not long after I got the LT, but got over it. BUt would still have another Vstrom if the chance presented itself. Highly recommended.

Randy
post #13 of 33 Old Jan 21st, 2008, 12:56 pm

Quote:

I had a 2004 DL-1000. I went to buy a BMW R1200GS, but couldn't find any ready for delivery, decided upon the DL-650 as a "throw away" bike for a year until the R1200GS became more readily available, but then couldn't find a local dealer with one of those in stock either, which is why I wound up with the DL-1000 <--- (explanation of decision making process) LOL

Performance of the two will be very similar, as will fuel consumption. For metro riding, with its lower speeds and lots of stop and go, I'd expect the 650 might do a bit better on fuel. At interstate speeds, I'd expect about the same mileage and range. The bigger V-Strom will be much more relaxed at interstate speeds, and has lots of power available for passing.

If I had to make the same decision again, I'd purchase the 650, ONLY because it is available with ABS. Although the 1000 has better suspension, they both need some serious aftermarket work to handle well, although they both have a very "cushy" ride. Very comfortable, once the windshield issue is solved.

I had my DL-1000 set up for traveling, with a complete set of Jesse luggage, custom seat, audiovox cruise control, GPS, and sound system. The wimpy brakes were always a concern of mine, and it had massive front fork dive when stopping hard. When the front forks would bottom, the front wheel would break loose, which nearly brought me to the ground once while riding in traffic in the rain. I sold it, at a huge loss, after owning it less than six months, with about ten thousand miles on it.

My current R-1200GS Adventure has all the pluses of the V-Strom (except for the low price), without all the down sides. It's not perfect, but its WAY better than the V-Strom. The rear drive issue which some have suffered is no worse than what some suffer on the V-Strom. I personally know of one individual who ruined the engine when the secondary drive seal failed. When that happens, it dumps almost all the oil out in a very short time, coating the rear wheel, and ruining the engine in the process. Many that use either V-Strom for long distance riding have learned to keep a spare fuel pump along too, and there have been many failures. I never had either issue, but then I haven't lost a rear drive yet either

I'd suggest that you take all three for extended test rides. Both V-Stroms are great bikes FOR THE MONEY, the BMW GS is a GREAT BIKE!

Ruben

2012 K1600 GTL
2007 R1200GS Adventure
post #14 of 33 Old Jan 21st, 2008, 5:12 pm

Hmmmm .... I spend lots of time at Stromtroooper.com ... and don't remember mention of fuel pump or engine failures. Are we talking about the same bike?

There are a couple of known problems:

1) a bit too much play in the rear wheel assembly requiring new shims or periodic replacement of the cush drive rubber.
2) whimpy brakes that can be improved.
3) non-telelever front suspension that dives when you squeeze the brakes (like all other non-telelevers). stiffer springs help a lot.
4) throttle bodies must be periodically sychronized. a quick job.

that's about it.
post #15 of 33 Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:43 am

You can't get ABS on the 1000 can you? Always seemed odd to me that the 650 had ABS and the more powerful 1000 does not.
post #16 of 33 Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 2:58 pm

Suzuki 650 Review

I have copied a review of the Suzuki 650 from the Toronto Globe and Mail. The writer is this newspaper's motorcycle columnist.

Suzuki V-Strom
An agile beast that responds well to 'whoa'

TED LATURNUS

From Thursday's Globe and Mail

July 26, 2007 at 12:00 AM EST

One of Suzuki's best selling models is the V-Strom, or DL 650/1000. And it's not hard to see why; it's fast, flickable, comfortable, tough and versatile. Classed as a street model, it's also an adventure tourer and, if pressed, can keep up with a lot of sport bikes.

Two versions are offered: the 650 and the 1000. I've ridden both fairly extensively, and the only reason I'd choose one over the other is price. The 650 model starts at $8,999, while the larger version is $3,000 more. Yes, the 1000 is faster, but not overwhelmingly so, and the 2007 model of the 650, which I just spent some time on, offers more than enough in the way of riding kicks and two-wheeled entertainment. If the V-Strom isn't fast enough for you, you're definitely sport-bike material.

As of this year, you can get the 650 with anti-locking brakes. This is a growing trend in the motorcycle industry and Suzuki, BMW, Harley-Davidson, Yamaha and Honda, among others, offer it on various models. In the case of the V-Strom 650, it adds $500 to the price tag.

ABS on a motorcycle is a whole different proposition than on an automobile. You can fool around with ABS in your car and say, "hmmm, that's interesting," without getting in over your head. But if you draw upon ABS while riding a bike, chances are you're facing a crisis situation. It's not something you fool around with. Both applications seek to accomplish the same thing: maintaining control of the vehicle in a panic stop.
Suzuki
Enlarge Image

The 2007 Suzuki V-Strom comes with ABS braking system – which won’t be much help unless the rider knows how to use it properly. (SUZUKI)
The Globe and Mail

Despite what many people think, the point of ABS is not to stop you more quickly (although it will do that under certain conditions). It is meant, through the split-second engaging and disengaging of the braking system, to allow you to keep steering and stay in control even though the vehicle is decelerating rapidly. This is much more difficult than it looks and huge numbers of drivers/riders think that simply jamming on the brakes as hard as possible and hoping for the best will avert tragedy. But if you don't keep your wits about you, and maintain control, ABS won't save you.

ABS is not primarily about stopping — it's about steering. On a motorcycle, it's also about staying upright, especially on wet pavement or gravel. Theoretically, ABS will prevent the wheels from locking, and you can either stop in a controlled, straight line or steer around the problem. In a perfect world. In reality, it takes an extremely skilled rider to keep the bike under control in this scenario and if you haven't taken some kind of training, it seems to me that ABS won't do you much good.

That's not to say ABS on bikes is without merit, but I think it's lost on most motorcyclists. It's not the kind of thing you can practice until you get it right, and, unlike a car, if you mess around with it, chances are you're going to fall and hurt yourself. I think any manufacturer that offers ABS on its bikes should also provide a course on how to use it, maybe through the local safety council.

But back to the bike. The V-Strom 650 is, as usual, powered by a liquid-cooled, 90-degree V-twin that displaces 645 cc. It features a pair of overhead camshafts, four valves per cylinder, and electronic fuel injection. It's mated to a six-speed transmission and final drive is chain. Dry weight is 189 kilograms (add another 5 kg with ABS); the brakes are twin discs up front and a single disc in back. Seat height is an airy 820 millimetres. It may not have a huge engine, but the V-Strom 650 is still a fairly hefty hunk of motorcycle and a tippy-toe proposition for any riders under six feet.

But it has such a nice disposition and is so darned rideable, it's worth the stretch. Handlebars are straight-up drag style, and the riding position, once you get up there, is upright and comfortable. It comes with a small but useful windscreen, and you can order hard panniers and a small trunk. The 22-litre gas tank gives the V-Strom 650 a range of about 350 kilometres and aside from the fact that things get kind of buzzy on the highway, it makes an excellent long-distance bike. It doesn't rev as freely as Suzuki's Bandit or Katana, but it still has all kinds of poke and can run all day at high rpms.

It also has all kinds of whoa. The V-Strom's brakes have always been one of its strongest points, and the ABS system is a bonus. Maybe most riders won't know how to use it, but it's good to know it's there.

Paul M. Feldman

2008 - R1200RT "Cino"
2005 - KLT - "Tipsy" (now "Toasty") RIP
2004 - Suzuki Burgman 650
1978 - GL 1000
1985 - GL 1200 20th Anniversary Edition
1976 - Honda 750A
1973 - Honda CB 360 - "Bone Shaker"
1966 - Suzuki S80 - "Old Smokey"
post #17 of 33 Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 6:23 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies. I've read through them a couple of times. I think a test ride is in order, so I can answer the question: 650 or 1000? That test ride may have to wait for better roads and weather, though.

The link to stromtroopers.com was also a good tip. Holy cow... lots of info there.

Two questions I keep coming back to are: What do both bikes feel like at highway speed? What is the difference in fuel economy, all things being equal?

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #18 of 33 Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 8:40 pm

Good luck getting a test ride. Most Japanese bike dealers won't allow it.

The bike rides great on the highway, especially with a Givi windshield.
post #19 of 33 Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 12:44 pm

Since I’m also interested in the VStorm DL1000, I’ve been doing a lot of reading and research (several months now) on this very same subject. Funny that even on the dedicated VStorm forums, even the DL1000 owners admit that the DL650 (WeeStorm) is a better bike in all categories except straight line acceleration and top speed. I found it interesting that riders that own both, overwhelming prefer their WeeStorm. There are also an overwhelming number of DL1000 owners that move down to the DL650. That’s kid of discouraging from someone like me who is interested in the bigger bike.

The biggest complaint about both bikes is wind buffering with the stock windscreen.

But is the WeeStorm good enough? Can it actually provide the same level of performance and adventure and excitement as larger bikes?

Well...let's see...because I researched that too....

The German bike magazine 'Motorrad' has been annually conducting an extensive multi-bike shoot-out test in the Swiss Alps. The test runs through some of the most twisty and steep roads in the world.

The test is a twenty bike shoot-out, broken down into categories, but also includes an overall winner from all twenty bikes.

The first year they ran the test was 2005.

Here's the list of bikes tested in 2005...

BMW R 1200 RT
Yamaha FJR 1300 A
Triumph Sprint ST
Honda VFR
Honda CB 1300
BMW K 1200 R
KTM Superduke
Suzuki Bandit 650
Kawasaki Z750
Benelli TnT 1130
Yamaha MT-01
H-D Street Rod
Suzuki GSX-R 1000
Honda CBR 600 F
Kawasaki ZX-6R
Ducati 999
BMW R 1200 GS
Ducati Multistrada
Yamaha XT 660 X
Suzuki DL650 V-Strom

And a bunch of photos from the 2005 test...

And the winner in 2005 was...Wait for it...

The Suzuki DL650 WeeStrom...

And the winner in 2006 was...Wait for it...

The Suzuki DL650 WeeStrom ......

In 2007 a lowly BMW won the overall shoot out, but at least the DL650 won it's category again.

Here's the link to the Motrorrad Online site. Unfortunately it's in German...

http://www.motorradonline.de/test/ve...007.263805.htm
post #20 of 33 Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 6:46 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalLT
Good luck getting a test ride. Most Japanese bike dealers won't allow it.

The bike rides great on the highway, especially with a Givi windshield.
I called a Suzuki dealer a few miles away (Zanesville, OH) and the first thing he says is "come do a test ride". Sounds promising...

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #21 of 33 Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 6:50 pm Thread Starter

Xavier,

That same test result was posted over on stromtroopers.com. Very interesting, but like you, I have to wonder if the V-Strom 650 can haul 2 people and gear as satisfactorily as the 1000?

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #22 of 33 Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 7:47 pm

Why?

Quote:
Xavier,

That same test result was posted over on stromtroopers.com. Very interesting, but like you, I have to wonder if the V-Strom 650 can haul 2 people and gear as satisfactorily as the 1000?
Howard I thought the idea of another bike was for commuting which suggestd 1 up use with the LT for touring? My wife's bike is a 650cc that I occasionally use for commuting (30 miles each way) and I find it more than capable and good fun to boot. As you have probalbly guessed I am not a small person though TBOT is. If we were to fit panniers and top box I am sure we could manage short trips, but I have the LT for that. I would imagine that you are more likely to get test rides on run around type bikes than crotch rockets.

Good luck in your search.

Graham Wintersgill
On the bonnnie bonnie banks of Loch Lomond

2001 K1200LT

1995 K75RT now deceased
post #23 of 33 Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 10:12 pm Thread Starter

Graham, you are correct: my original idea was to keep the LT for two-up LD touring (or any two-up riding, as my wife likes the LT), and supplement the stable with a smaller/lighter/cheaper daily commuter.

As I have learned more about the differences between the DL1000 and DL650, the idea of replacing the LT with the DL1000 was introduced; the idea is that the DL1000 could handle two-up duties and daily commuter requirements.

Depending on which day you ask me you'll get a different answer. At this time I'm leaning towards keeping the LT and adding the DL650... or a BMW F650 or very used RxxxxGS. One of the pluses of the V-Strom is its ease of maintenance, and lesser cost to maintain.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #24 of 33 Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 11:57 pm

Quote:
Xavier,

I found that report from the Adventure Riding Motorcycle Forum http://advrider.com/. Great Site. I like to bring the site up just to look at the adventure pictures before entering the site. Beautiful and hypnotic photography from some of its members.

Funny, I’m on several motorcycle forums. BMWs, Yamahas Triumphs, Harley Davidson, Honda, Suzuki, etc….. They all discuss the difference between the DL650 and DL1000. In fact, it was the praises on the DL650 from an FJR1300 and a ST13000 site that got me interested in looking closely at the two Stroms.

Have you seen this report from an individual who owns both the 650 and 1000?

http://www.jackphelps.com/vstrom/comparison.htm
post #25 of 33 Old Feb 4th, 2008, 12:05 am

I take issue with your fuel pump complaint as I have never read about in on any V-Strom Forum and i have nearly as many posts there as I have here.. (700 +/- posts) I have 41,000 miles on both of mine and have not have one problem or worry.. not saying it is perfect but would stack them up to any bike made, no matter the cost for reliability.

It is simply not a known issue. Windbuffetting is and some small items, but NOTHING in the Suspension, Motor and Running gear has come to light thus far in 5 years of production.
Some peeps like more aftermarket springs and seats but that is true of anybike being tuned in for the individual, especially ex-sportbike riders.
I am on my second DL1000 and have had no issues and have never met anyone who traded down to a 650... come on now!!! I am not even gonna give that any credence as I have met more Strom riders than most as I was an early adopter of the bikes acclaim and NOT ONE individual I know ever said they wanted to downsize to less motorcycle and less horsepower.. Be real.

Wera6868 of the V-Strom International has 96000 miles on his 04 DL1000, one of many now boasting that kind of mileage and has done nothing but oil changes and it has never even needed a valve adjustment.

I loved my LT and will prolly have another one, but the DL1000 will rock
anyone's world with it's reliability, handling and low cost maintenace.

47+ Yrs Daily Motorcycle Street riding for Therapy

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour

2007 Black Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - Sold
2007 Red Moto Guzzi Norge 1200 - Sold
2005 LT Dark Graphite - (Sold)
2005 PearlBlue FJR1300 (Sold)
3 BMW's, 8 HD baggers, 3 Goldwings & 860K + miles later
*Ridin steady since 1973

post #26 of 33 Old Feb 4th, 2008, 12:33 am

Go to Stromtropper and search. Also, the individual that wrote the 650 vs 1000 also traded from the DL1000 to the DL650. Unless his story is purely fictional. And the members within Stromtroppers may have been lying. Anything is possible I guess. By-the-way, the fuel pump issue has come up there, but nowhere near the extent as a drive failure. This isn’t Bulldog or TBS. Not everyone is restricted to a unilateral view of the difference choices in our lives.

By-the-way, over the past year, I've also read the entire sections of Stromtrooper's "General V-Strom Discussion", "DL1000 Specific", " DL650 Specific! The Wee Strom!, “V-Strom Modifications and Performance”, “V-Strom Service and Maintenance”, and, “V-Curious” from the most recent to the very first posts entered. So I can say this from my readings only:

1. DL650 vs DL1000 is a continual and controversial issue.
2. A number of DL1000 owners have moved (It’s not a down-grade) to the DL650.
3. The fuel pump issue as well as other DL1000 niggling issues has been discussed.
post #27 of 33 Old Feb 4th, 2008, 3:56 am

My son has the 1000 and likes it, especially as it has the grunt for 2-up loaded touring. His only complaint is the gas mileage - at best he gets about 40 mpg but, as he says, when you do less than 200 miles between fill-ups it's nice to stop and stretch the legs anyway - especially for the pillion.

Objects in mirror may be disappearing faster than they seem...
post #28 of 33 Old Feb 4th, 2008, 9:41 am

Quote:
Graham, you are correct: my original idea was to keep the LT for two-up LD touring (or any two-up riding, as my wife likes the LT), and supplement the stable with a smaller/lighter/cheaper daily commuter.

As I have learned more about the differences between the DL1000 and DL650, the idea of replacing the LT with the DL1000 was introduced; the idea is that the DL1000 could handle two-up duties and daily commuter requirements.

Depending on which day you ask me you'll get a different answer. At this time I'm leaning towards keeping the LT and adding the DL650... or a BMW F650 or very used RxxxxGS. One of the pluses of the V-Strom is its ease of maintenance, and lesser cost to maintain.
I tried to get my wife comfortable on the strom by fitting it with a Givi top case/backrest pad. She's gone on a few rides on it. I'd love to have the strom as a do-everything bike because it's so capable and inexpensive to maintain.

But she absolutely will not go on a long trip on the Strom. It's a great bike but it will never replace the LT as a two-up tourer.

I always ride the strom now for commuting/sport riding/weekend trips with the guys. But for two-up touring, it's the LT for me.
post #29 of 33 Old Feb 4th, 2008, 10:49 am

Anyone checked out the Kawasaki Versys? Seems to be in the V-Strom 650, F650GS market. I haven't seen one but the web info. is pretty impressive.

Ray

2007 K1200LT Hannigan- Blue
2012 R1200GS - Rallye
1973 R75/5 Toaster - Black
post #30 of 33 Old Feb 4th, 2008, 1:20 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arby60
Anyone checked out the Kawasaki Versys? Seems to be in the V-Strom 650, F650GS market. I haven't seen one but the web info. is pretty impressive.

Ray
I had the opportunity to ride the Kawi Versys at the 2007 Sturgis Rally; took about a 30 mile trip encompassing interstate, back roads, twisties, etc. I was quite impressed with the ride, handling, and grunt the wee 650 produced. I believe I read the Versys produces about 60hp and 44 lb/ft of torque. I haven't ridden the DL650 so I can offer no comparison between the two; I can only say the Versys is a nice bike and has been very popular in Europe for several years.
post #31 of 33 Old Feb 4th, 2008, 5:53 pm

Xavier6162,

Great photos of the 2005 test, thanks for posting. I particularly like the 5th photo; no room for error for those riders. I don't know if slamming into the rock wall or launching into the great abyss would hurt worse, but it sure looks like fun.
post #32 of 33 Old Feb 4th, 2008, 6:17 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavier6162
... Have you seen this report from an individual who owns both the 650 and 1000?
http://www.jackphelps.com/vstrom/comparison.htm
I had not seen that. Thanks for sharing it. The review is pretty consistent with what others are seeing. It really looks like it comes down to (as always) go with what works for you. Personally, I couldn't care less that the 650 is 1/10 of a second slower in the quarter mile (or whatever the statistic is), or has a top speed of 115 v. 125 for the DL1000; those differences are just something I don't care about.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #33 of 33 Old Feb 4th, 2008, 6:19 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalLT
I tried to get my wife comfortable on the strom by fitting it with a Givi top case/backrest pad. She's gone on a few rides on it. I'd love to have the strom as a do-everything bike because it's so capable and inexpensive to maintain.

But she absolutely will not go on a long trip on the Strom. It's a great bike but it will never replace the LT as a two-up tourer.

I always ride the strom now for commuting/sport riding/weekend trips with the guys. But for two-up touring, it's the LT for me.
Thanks. That's the kind of feedback I'm looking for.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in