Another BMW off the roster/ IL - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Jan 13th, 2008, 7:40 am Thread Starter

Another BMW off the roster/ IL

Tag BMW Motoworks in Batavia, IL no longer is affiliated with BMW.

Do not have the story but the relationship ceased on 12/31/2007.

David Adler
Aurora, IL

David Adler
Aurora, IL

2000LT Canyon Red
CRBMWOA
BMWMOA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Jan 14th, 2008, 12:46 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I would think that the repair part of the business will still exist. I'll have to give Bill a call. Last time I talked to him he was fed up with BMW and was training a new tech for both bike and car service. He's moved quite heavily into the scooter and Moto Guzzi arena over the past year. That may not have been to BMW's liking.
Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #3 of 10 Old Jan 15th, 2008, 10:02 am

I would appreciate anything you find out too. He was the closest dealer to me and I was happy with their service.

Scott

2000 Canyon Red LTC
"Arizona"
"You are what you are and you ain't what you ain't."

post #4 of 10 Old Jan 17th, 2008, 10:50 am

Droppin like flies

WTF!! he was small, but a good dealer, farther away from me than Cycle Werks in Barrington, but I still visited. Whats going on w/ BMW? On the one hand their bringing out new models that show they rellay want to expand their customer base. On the other hand, Im down to 2 dealers in the Chicago area! John from Cycle Werks (I know he's not popular with everybody) is in his 80's, how long can/will his dealership last. If he goes its Chicago BMW left standing. Is BMW still serious about motorcycles?

Tom
post #5 of 10 Old Jan 17th, 2008, 5:00 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I'm OK with this...

Just got off the phone:
They gave up their hold on BMW due to ever increasing pressure to separate BWM product with a solid wall from all other mfg's products, put in a new floor and add more signage all at this small, family owned businesses expense. I don't blame them a bit.
They will still provide service, just not warranty service.
I have done a considerable amount of business both in the auto and bike sides of the place for many years. I've been extremely happy with every aspect of my dealings as a whole. Bill has saved me from needlessly spending $$$$$$$$ that other dealers wouldn't think twice about charging.
I believe they're relieved to be out from under the BMW insanity.
Hopefully I'll have my '99LT and 525i for a long, long time.
Jer

Jerry Palma
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #6 of 10 Old Jan 17th, 2008, 6:38 pm

Jerry...

I shouldn't tell you that you shouldn't be "O.K. with this"...but you shouldn't.
It may be no big deal for you, but I believe this does have a BIG impact on the BMW U.S.A. market as a whole. There is a cost...coast to coast. BMW dealers are becoming fewer in number NOT larger in number...and they are already hard to come by. They have some of the best platforms in their respective class but their thin network is worrisome to a lot of potential buyers. I think that news of dealer losses will scare away a lot of sales.

I am a lost sale. A new GT...and probably a new GSA (I love BMW motorcycles!) would be mine IF I had a dealer closer than 280 miles/4 hours away. You see, my closest dealer...70 mi...dropped BMW also. I started having issues with my LT. I do all my own service...but without BMW diagnostic computers I couldn't fix some stuff. So I sold the LT and am now saddled up with Yamaha, who has 4 dealers within 40 miles of me.

Really sorry to rant.

post #7 of 10 Old Jan 17th, 2008, 7:03 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbird
Really sorry to rant.
No one should be sorry to rant about such matters. Perhaps BMW thinks they're an exclusive enough club where they can dictate market areas such that they are. I'm not happy with this and no one should be. BMW is about to loose, and that's not good for you, I and the local dealers at all. You LT guys - hey - the LT is great, but if you can't find a local rep and/or service, the Goldwing starts to look viable. Here I am, a prospective 1st time BMW buyer looking seriously at R1200RT's and thinking that the direction BMW is going isn't appealing to me at all. Believe me. I know the BM's are awesome bikes. But you know what? Yamaha has a reasonable competitor at a much lower price AND Yami dealers are EVERYWHERE!

this sucks!

(computer guys) Remember IBM MCA? Blue lost!

Mark
'07 RT
post #8 of 10 Old Jan 17th, 2008, 8:45 pm
fas

Talking I tired

I was trying to open a BMW store. They were very slow to respond and very difficult to deal with on simple communications. I think the problems are USA management and some lazy over paid people.

Rob Nelson

2006 K1200GT [now lives in Wisconsin]
Grey Goose
2002 K1200LTC [now lives in Georgia]
Toscana Temptress

More than 132,000 (recently corrected higher) motorcycle riders have died in traffic crashes since the enactment of the Highway Safety Act of 1966 and The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966. Be careful out there.
post #9 of 10 Old Jan 18th, 2008, 6:37 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbird
Jerry...

I shouldn't tell you that you shouldn't be "O.K. with this"...but you shouldn't.

Really sorry to rant.
I'm still OK with this. The folks that own the business have been friends of mine for longer than they've sold BMW motorcycles. I feel bad about the way they're been treated and what they've had to deal with in their relationship with BMW. BMW is just a large company. No face to put on it. If they want to cut their corporate throats there's no reason I should be all that concerned. I have no direct influence on their policies. Like others have said, there are other manufacturers with as good if not better products and service. I'm sure you think differently about it due to what you feel is important to you. I won't be suggesting a stand you should take. We vote with our wallets and if there isn't a BMW seller nearby, then my vote doesn't go there. Simple. BMW knows all about it.
I'm much more concerned about the Mom-n-Pop shop being able to make a profit without having to loose their shirts first. All I now need is service from them and they're happy I do. Win-win. No rant, just my opinion.
Jer

Jerry Palma
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'

post #10 of 10 Old Jan 18th, 2008, 9:48 am

On a related note, Long Beach BMW (California) divided their dealership about six months ago. The BMW (and Mini, I presume) car dealership was sold to Sonic Automotive. Sonic owns and manages over 170 other car dealerships throughout the country.

The BMW motorcycle dealership has been retained by the Autrey family. I was told that they always had a love for the motorcycle side of the business and didn't want to sell it, and that the new buyers didn't have the experience or desire to own and manage it either. The motorcycle dealership will be moving into a new, nearby facility, more-or-less across the street. When I asked about it last October, they were planning to make the move sometime in the Spring or Summer of 2008.

It is a big deal. They have to split up the shared resources, including front and back office (finance, paperwork, etc.), parts, and more.

For the moment, both car and motorcycle are still sharing the same physical location and some of the business resources.

The new motorcycle dealership site isn't ready yet, but I am looking forward to the day when it opens. From what I have been told, it will be a nice facility, with improved service center, a new showroom, and more.

(Non-disclaimer: I'm just a customer who bought a motorcycle from Long Beach BMW, and who sometimes buys parts, accessories, and gets my motorcycle serviced by them. I give them my highest recommendation. Everyone I've met there has been extra helpful and courteous, and works hard to meet customer needs and expectations. There are two other BMW motorcycle dealerships in the general area and I have had good experiences overall with them. Both are family owned, too.)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in