Sometimes I love my job... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Jan 12th, 2008, 4:54 pm Thread Starter

Sometimes I love my job...

As some of you know I am the sports photographer for the Baltimore Sun, and with the state of newspapers anymore I'm glad I'm nearing retirement. However, we (Sun) now love video and the web. So I talked them into letting me spend the day with an areacross rider yesterday in Baltimore. I mounted a helmet cam on him and shot him from the stands as well. It's was a fun, fun day to get paid for. I'm new the the video game after spending 32 years shooting "stills" so I'm not that good yet, but I'm proof you can teach an old dog new tricks. If interested, check it out at www.baltimoresun.com, in the video section. I told the rider I ride an LT and he said, bring it down he'd try it on the jumps (LOL). I passed on that!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gene Sweeney

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Jan 12th, 2008, 5:10 pm
Cat Herder

Very kewl. Especially one jump where it looked like he's going to land on top of the one in front of him. Nothing for me though. My ass would suck in way too much air doing that. LOL.
post #3 of 5 Old Jan 12th, 2008, 6:15 pm
BMW Guru

That's cool. They always put a couple of helmet cams on the guys at each Super Cross. Makes for some neat footage.

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 Old Jan 12th, 2008, 9:22 pm Thread Starter

40 years ago maybe..

A number of years back I spent the day with Travis Pastrana, (right after his jump into the San Fransisco Bay in the X-Games). He offered me a ride on his bike at his private track in the Annapolis area. The 14 year old bike rider in me said yes! (that was the age when I got my first bike which I hid from my parents for 2 years), but the smarter 50+ year old said know your limits. I am in awe of what some of these guys do on their bikes, but now suffering arthritis
in one of my knees, I can't imagine what these guys will suffer with when they get to my age.

Talking to the rider who I put the camera on and listening to the injuries he has already had, I can't imagine life later on for him. Just like an NFL vet I would guess.

Gene Sweeney

post #5 of 5 Old Jan 13th, 2008, 5:54 am

Good to see you posting again Gene. Excellent piece of video.

And Andy, I've been in the nearly landing upon and being landed upon when I motocrossed while station in Japan in the early 70's. What memories. Ouch!!!

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in