Texas Question? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Jan 8th, 2008, 4:21 pm Thread Starter

Question Texas Question?

Getting the road itch and thinking about doing a cross-country run to California at the end of this month or early February. I have done many cross-country runs but not during the winter months. That is also why I want to do it. Due to weather concerns the best route is obviously I-10 across. No way would I attempt I-40 as I have seen the section west of Amarillo closed many times due to ice, snow and winds. The only concern I have is the southern Texas section?

What can you typically expect in southern Texas during this time of the year? Lived west Texas “El Paso” a few years (about 25 years ago) and we rarely saw snow or ice and even then it was gone in no time.

The weather is always unpredictable but what can you expect in the south central Texas region?

May we never find the end of the road!

Perry Ridgway

oknplm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Jan 8th, 2008, 4:28 pm

I am planning a ride out to Las Vegas along much of the same route on January 31st. Right now the weather between Austin and west Texas is 60-70's during the day and 30-40's at night. About a month ago I came back from west Texas and it was 25 degrees on the ride.As you said, the weather can change quickly but I am hopeful it will stay about the same. Let me know if you will be passing through then and we can ride along together.

Res ipsa loquitur, sed quid in infernos dicet?

Alan Stuber
2003 K1200 LTC Titan Silver
Austin, Texas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by astuber; Jan 8th, 2008 at 4:56 pm.
post #3 of 16 Old Jan 8th, 2008, 5:05 pm Thread Starter

I will be watching the weather to determine if it is a go and best time of departure. Wife will be along for the ride so weather conditions are important. If it works out and you want to join up that will be fine. Wife and I grew up in Vegas.

Perry Ridgway

oknplm

Quote:
Originally Posted by astuber
I am planning a ride out to Las Vegas along much of the same route on January 31st. Right now the weather between Austin and west Texas is 60-70's during the day and 30-40's at night. About a month ago I came back from west Texas and it was 25 degrees on the ride.As you said, the weather can change quickly but I am hopeful it will stay about the same. Let me know if you will be passing through then and we can ride along together.

post #4 of 16 Old Jan 8th, 2008, 6:16 pm

El Paso, the middle of nowhere

For reasons too complex to explain here, we've got a "guest house" a mile off of I-10 for friends (which embraces any LT riders); we're a half-mile from there.

If you need a stopping point, PM me.
post #5 of 16 Old Jan 8th, 2008, 6:40 pm Thread Starter

Red face

Nothing like Texas hospitality!!!!

Perry Ridgway

oknplm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljjohns
For reasons too complex to explain here, we've got a "guest house" a mile off of I-10 for friends (which embraces any LT riders); we're a half-mile from there.

If you need a stopping point, PM me.
post #6 of 16 Old Jan 8th, 2008, 9:01 pm

I doubt it'll happen this year, but last Jan we had a bad ice storm that shutdown I-10 from west of Kerrville to damn near Houston for 2 days. Just keep an eye on the long range forecast.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'99K1200LT - "Bertha" - gone, but not forgotten!
'86 Concours - "Horse with no name" (under reconstructive surgery)
'06 K1200GT - "Road Rocket"
Marshall, Tx

post #7 of 16 Old Jan 8th, 2008, 9:21 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by oknplm
Getting the road itch and thinking about doing a cross-country run to California at the end of this month or early February. I have done many cross-country runs but not during the winter months. That is also why I want to do it. Due to weather concerns the best route is obviously I-10 across. No way would I attempt I-40 as I have seen the section west of Amarillo closed many times due to ice, snow and winds. The only concern I have is the southern Texas section?

What can you typically expect in southern Texas during this time of the year? Lived west Texas “El Paso” a few years (about 25 years ago) and we rarely saw snow or ice and even then it was gone in no time.

The weather is always unpredictable but what can you expect in the south central Texas region?

Perry Ridgway

oknplm

Bunch of Nor-Cal riders are going to be at Death
Valley Jan 25-27 http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27773
Come join us and a bunch of ADVrider folks at the annual Death Valley Daze Rally http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=280995. Several are riding the paved roads, the rest of us are in the dirt.

Doug Holck
Lodi, Ca

I don't always ride motorcycles,
but when I do I prefer BMW's.
Ride safely my friends

3 Continents -10 Countries - 50 States

02 K1200LTe
04 1150GS Adventure
08 Suzuki DR650
CCR 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
See you 2015 in Coeur d' Alene, Idaho

BMW MOA 109760
AMA Charter Life Member 518333
International Fellowship of Motorcycling Rotarians
HDDC POSSE

post #8 of 16 Old Jan 8th, 2008, 9:50 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the invite!

I was seriously looking at it. The biggest problem is there are no rooms to be had in Death Valley. Everything is sold out. I almost committed to a room in early December but was unsure how the weather would be driving from the east coast. By the time we thought it may be possible, the room availability closed. Wife and I grew up in Vegas and have been to Death Valley many times (even in the summertime hot, hot, hot).

Perry Ridgway

oknplm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougholck
Bunch of Nor-Cal riders are going to be at Death
Valley Jan 25-27 http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27773
Come join us and a bunch of ADVrider folks at the annual Death Valley Daze Rally http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=280995. Several are riding the paved roads, the rest of us are in the dirt.
post #9 of 16 Old Jan 8th, 2008, 10:12 pm
KIC

Nm - Az

Although not real common, but depending on the weather there can be snow/ice around the New Mexico/Arizona border. If your schedule puts you in the southern Arizona area and you need a place/assistance in Tucson I've got a guest room (not rich enough for a guest house ) but your welcome to it.

Would even throw in a BBQ dinner.

Good luck on your trip. PM me and I'll send you my cell number in case you need anything through this part of the country.

PROUD FATHER OF A MILITARY DAUGHTER !.
She's for sale
SOLD 7-19-08 [url]

There are those who ride BMW's.. and those who wish they did.

Ron's R11/1 Vergasser's - 1st Wingman

Sophmore : BMWLT - University of Luxury Touring Education

2000 K1200LTC Champagne SOLD 7-08
2006 KLR 650 - RED- The fast dual sport color !
2002 TW 200 - White/Blue - #1,The wife's CRF replacement.
2002 TW 200 - WhiteBlue - #2, My matching toy
2001 XT 225 - White/Blue - Sold 7/08
92 K75S Red and fast (sadly gone)

Yamaha YZ 250 for the dirt ( still good use for a smokin' 2-stroke !) In critical care 4/08
Honda CRF 230F - Wifey's dirt fun. (Sold)
Many Honda 750 F's (May they Rest In Peace)
post #10 of 16 Old Jan 10th, 2008, 10:12 am

I just got back from a New Mexico ride and came home on I-10. It was 30* when I left and by the time I got to Kerrville, it was in the upper 60's. The speed limit for a big chunk of I-10 is 80mph. Woohoo!!! Had cruise set at "indicated" 93mph and watched the fuel gauge fall. When I left to go, it was in the mid to low 60's all the way out.

"BONES" <///><

2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #11 of 16 Old Jan 10th, 2008, 11:18 am

You're more likely to be cold in New Mexico and Arizona than west Texas.

Likely WORST case weather in Texas is cold rain from Louisiana to San Antonio, then windy cold, with perhaps rain or sleet to El Paso, but both conditions never last more than a couple of days. You're just as likely to have something like today, where it's clear, going to be 71 in central Texas.

Naturally, having said the above, I picked my new bike up in Albuquerque last February, had perfect weather down to Fort Stockton, and from that point east to Austin had sleet, million mile per hour tail wind, temps dropped steadily into the 30s, the next morning for the last leg it never got above freezing...exactly the opposite of normal pattern. I was NOT prepared for such cold.

The Albuquergue dealership, Sandia BMW, is great, by the way.
post #12 of 16 Old Feb 28th, 2008, 10:31 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs up Follow-up Re: Texas Question?

FYI;

I postponed our trip till late April. Further discussion between the wife and I resulted in expanding our trip. Visiting relatives in Vegas and adding southern Utah to the mix. As much as I wanted to go the lousy weather, a more workable schedule and volunteering to watch our one and only grandson during the mentioned time period won out.

Quite a few of you, you know who you are, offered their hospitality and even their willingness to tag along sections of the trip. I just thought it was proper to not keep anyone in limbo, if and/or when we may be passing through their area, especially after they were very gracious in offering information and even accommodations. The mere act of offering to have complete strangers stay in your home is truly a gesture that would almost be unheard of outside the motorcycle community. It is one of the true appeals of why my wife and I like to ride and do long distance touring.

Perry Ridgway

oknplm
post #13 of 16 Old Feb 29th, 2008, 6:16 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Re: Follow-up Re: Texas Question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oknplm
FYI;

I postponed our trip till late April. Further discussion between the wife and I resulted in expanding our trip. Visiting relatives in Vegas and adding southern Utah to the mix. As much as I wanted to go the lousy weather, a more workable schedule and volunteering to watch our one and only grandson during the mentioned time period won out.

Quite a few of you, you know who you are, offered their hospitality and even their willingness to tag along sections of the trip. I just thought it was proper to not keep anyone in limbo, if and/or when we may be passing through their area, especially after they were very gracious in offering information and even accommodations. The mere act of offering to have complete strangers stay in your home is truly a gesture that would almost be unheard of outside the motorcycle community. It is one of the true appeals of why my wife and I like to ride and do long distance touring.

Perry Ridgway

oknplm
Perry I feel the same, it is so nice to be part of the best M/C community on the web. I've meet the nicest people on this forum. Keep us updated on your trip and if your in Austin ( & I'm home) you have a place to stay here

Stevie Shreeve
post #14 of 16 Old Feb 29th, 2008, 8:08 am

Re: Follow-up Re: Texas Question?

No problems, Perry.. Grandkids always win... (of course I won't tell my kids that)...

You're blessed in many ways...

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #15 of 16 Old Feb 29th, 2008, 8:29 am
KIC

Re: Texas Question?

Offer still stands if you find yourself in the Tucson/Southern Arizona area and need a place, assistance, or a BBQ meal.

It will definitely be warmer in April. For riding up to Southern Utah, I rode my K75S through Zion. It was incredibly beautiful. If I recall correctly, even the asphalt was a light/medium brown to blend in with the surrounding landscape. I had driven through it once before my bike trip on my way home from a fugitive hunting trip in St George, Utah and knew I had to go back on a bike. What a beautiful ride ! In fact, I think I will start planning a ride there with the wifey later this year. Zion is approximately 536 miles from Tucson.

Keep us informed. Maybe some of us would tag along for a couple of hundred miles or so. Be a good reason to blow of work for a day.

here's a link with some maps and info.

http://www.travelwest.net/parks/zion/maps.html

http://www.grandcanyonnorthrim.com/

Just as an FYI, our local BMW dealer is closed on Sunday and Monday.

PROUD FATHER OF A MILITARY DAUGHTER !.
She's for sale
SOLD 7-19-08 [url]

There are those who ride BMW's.. and those who wish they did.

Ron's R11/1 Vergasser's - 1st Wingman

Sophmore : BMWLT - University of Luxury Touring Education

2000 K1200LTC Champagne SOLD 7-08
2006 KLR 650 - RED- The fast dual sport color !
2002 TW 200 - White/Blue - #1,The wife's CRF replacement.
2002 TW 200 - WhiteBlue - #2, My matching toy
2001 XT 225 - White/Blue - Sold 7/08
92 K75S Red and fast (sadly gone)

Yamaha YZ 250 for the dirt ( still good use for a smokin' 2-stroke !) In critical care 4/08
Honda CRF 230F - Wifey's dirt fun. (Sold)
Many Honda 750 F's (May they Rest In Peace)
post #16 of 16 Old Feb 29th, 2008, 8:46 am

Re: Texas Question?

I'm heading to philly about Mar 14th. I'm not sure about rt 40 either but I'm closer to flagstaff than Tucson so I'll have to see what the weather looks like.

I may end up taking I-10 myself, 80 MPH eh? mmmm....I like that and I do need to make time.

I hope the weather holds. I have a week inbetween jobs out east and I dont' want to fly, so after my meeting in philly, ride to detroit (my old stomping grounds), stay there about a week with friends, then ride to Richmond, VA for another meeting on Apr 1-2, then back to SOCAL from there.

I'd like to take my K12S on this one but I think thats a little insane, I have to do 800-1000 miles+ each day to make it.

I'll provide a road report once I get out there, I don't stop long enuff to plug my puter in during travel.

Maybe I should just take some pills and get on a daym plane ....naawwww.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in