Final Drives - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Dec 24th, 2007, 12:03 pm Thread Starter

Final Drives

I own a 2000 k1200Lt and a 2002 R1150Rt. I have read many posts and articles about the Final drives on the Lt's. What is the best way for checking the integrity of the final drive?? Also, do the Rt's have the same problem. My Lt has 45K miles on it and the Rt has 32K miles on it. I am going to change the trans and final drive oil in both,what should I look for. Steve Miller
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Dec 24th, 2007, 1:00 pm

Don't worry about it.

I have had two LT's and ridden RTs. Our police force had a fleet of 9, 2002, 1150's with out losing a FD. We currently have 9, 2007, 1200RTPs with zero FD issues.

I just rode to Alaska in June with zero FD problems. I think what I look for is a whin in the rear end and play in the FD. I do this when I wash the motor. Otherwise I just ride it.

John
Florida
2004 BMW R1150R Black
Contact me 4 motor training 1&1
Expert witness in motorcycle crash reconstruction (Contact me)
post #3 of 4 Old Dec 24th, 2007, 1:08 pm

Final Drive Integrity IMO

Steve,
Just ride both of them Steve! There is hardly a dimes difference between the F.D. on either of the m/c's. The best thing you can do IMO is to change the oil in the FD frequently. And, it is not because the GL is worn out......... it is to visually look at what debris is on the plug's magnet. There will be most every time a few bits of ferrous fuzz (very fine and hard to see). Often times you can see fine chards that are slightly spiral and even some bits <.001" but this can go on for many miles. Some of this is debris from manufacturing. A drive that is coming apart will have the magnet globbed with little bits and some larger ones too. It is hard to quantify by exact bit measurements but the covered magnet is a drive nearing catastrophic failure.
We need an external early warning system but some of us have the idea for a "chip detector" in the sump of the FD to light an ad-hoc panel warning light but this very feasible device could in itself add in danger. It would need either an electro-magnet or a ferrous magnet (perhaps ceramic) but the problem of an uncontained magnet gravitating to the crown gear palloids would nearly instantly lock up the final drive. Instant disaster.
There is a ton of various "postings" about this problem and what causes it but no definitive statement from anyone. The 120mm crown wheel bearing is crowded by .002 to , <.004" of sideload to contain (Preload) its companion tapered roller bearing. This method allows the desired "single sided" rear axle/ wheel mounting. I have come more and more to feel this design allows the axel cantilever to begin to transmit a rotational dynamic force (1 to 1 wobble) upon reaching an unknown amount of bearing/ race wear. What you need to know is that grabbing the static wheel and doing radial/ axial movement probably won't catch all the impending bearing failures. It is my belief that from start to finish the whole episode comes about in < than 200/300 miles.

Antidote? Change the GL frequently. Get another drain plug and keep it exactly untouched so you can compare with the one freshly removed, then clean the previous one and use it keeping the last removed for comparison next. It is better than a perfect picture.

Also, get another "crown bearing" and "seal" and pack it with you. Caught early it is easy to replace and if you don't want to do it, most Napa or auto machine shops can do it for you if your on a trip.

My advice "Keep riding and don't worry about it"!

What you really need is to determine if your "clutch slave" mounting area has been drilled? And, for the real "worry worts" to do the same on the bottom of the clutch bell housing. Oooooh this should start a fresh controversy.................

Carl

K1200LT w/ KLT s/c
K1100LT w/ ECC
KLR-650

N9BMN
FD <> 4%
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

bmwmoa 100984

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Tourdog; Dec 24th, 2007 at 1:22 pm.

post #4 of 4 Old Dec 25th, 2007, 8:47 am

Lightbulb BMW should just make a different design!

Quote"We need an external early warning system but some of us have the idea for a "chip detector" in the sump of the FD to light an ad-hoc panel warning light but this very feasible device could in itself add in danger. " end of quote.

I tend to think instead of the above, BMW should design a FD that runs w/o troubles for 100,000 miles or so. We should just ride instead of being a FD Doctor.
Checking the FD drain plug often is the simplest to do and it's saved me from a breakdown on the road.
By the way, I'm a 4%'er on an '03 LT. I went 32,000 miles this past year. The dealer made good the parts that failed. So, I don't worry about it, I just service the FD every 3000 miles and have a look at the crap on the drain plug then decide if I need to have the dealer do it again. The parts are under warranty for 2 years and since I ride a lot I don't worry about it failing.

Lets RIDE! YeeHaa!

Just my .2 cents on the subject.

====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in