KGT to KS in less than 4 months? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Dec 17th, 2007, 9:22 am Thread Starter

KGT to KS in less than 4 months?

I am in need of a serious reality check. I traded my RT for an '07 K1200GT this past September. I am now having a serious case of buyer remorse. Remorse over the RT? Absolutely not. Remorse that I did not carefully consider the KS before jumping onto and riding off of on the GT.

I am seriously considering taking my financial lumps and trading the GT for a KS! I am 47 years old and have become totally infatuated by the looks and performance numbers (not to mention the enthusiastic ravings of "S" owners)!

Has anyone already treaded this path? That is, KGT to KS in less than six months ownership? I do not tour enough to be overly concerned about having the hard bags. I know that bags can be mounted for those rare occasions when I actually do take overnight rides. More than anything, I find my riding doing solo rides on the various fun routes found in eastern and southern Missouri (I live in STL).

Thanks,
Gus

Gus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Dec 17th, 2007, 9:43 am

I have 31k miles on my 06 K12S now. All but 1400 miles of that have been put on since Jan 07. I don't own a cage (have a K12S and an 02 K12LTC).

I never did like the GT, ie, looks, etc. For 2-up, there is none other than the LT IMHO (and the wife's opinion also, which is the REAL reason, heheh).

I have the hard bags but quit using them since I lane split every week, to the tune of 60 miles when the traffic gets real bad. I found the bags dont' give me enuff sqeeze space so I just put a helen's bag on the back seat most of the time now. The hard bags are nice when you need them.

Whatever you do, don't ride the S unless you plan on buying one!

I can't say enough about the bike. Its not a racing machine per say, a bit heavy on the turns, etc, however, it is the design of the bike that makes it good for long trips, etc, in comfort, if you like that sort of thing (comfort is relative).

I can't plant my arse on that seat enough, every day I walk out to get on the S its like a brand new pleasure all over again. I never get tired of riding or looking at it. There are not a whole lot of bikes out there that fit that bill, for me. I like the LTC and all too (93k miles on that one), but its just not the same.

by the way, there have been some killer deals on the K12S sister forum, that might be an alternative to a trade-in. If I did it again, I might go that route instead of new.
post #3 of 11 Old Dec 17th, 2007, 10:35 am

Cannot speak to the KS, but can speak to the idea of quick trades...

I got my first BMW- a R1100R naked bike... loved it, kept it about 45 days. Cleaned it up, got it in shape to sell and sold it for great profit... for a K1200RS. Loved it too. Kept it about 40 days... sold for profit, got my R1200RT... this one is a keeper.

I learned a lot, had great experiences, when the opportunity presented itself I took advantage of the situation, but I do wish I had kept the RS...

2014 R1200RT WC

“As Woody Guthrie says, ‘Left wing, right wing, chicken wing.’I keep my mind open. Whatever you believe, it’s all a mystery in the end.”

post #4 of 11 Old Dec 17th, 2007, 12:05 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldbikin

Whatever you do, don't ride the S unless you plan on buying one!

I can't plant my arse on that seat enough, every day I walk out to get on the S its like a brand new pleasure all over again. I never get tired of riding or looking at it.
I do not ride two-up ever. Your enthusiasm is of the type that fans the flames of my infatuation!

Gus
post #5 of 11 Old Dec 17th, 2007, 12:56 pm

I wouldn't do it

mainly because my dearly beloved would inflict terrible retributions. I had a half day test ride on a R12RT and a half day on a K12S. I did not enjoy the RT so went back early and took out the S. What a blast. I would stop and have a breather and just look at it - and then I saw a black one. How much are kidneys worth these days?

There is also the small problem of hanging on to my license ;-/

Graham Wintersgill
On the bonnnie bonnie banks of Loch Lomond

2001 K1200LT

1995 K75RT now deceased
post #6 of 11 Old Dec 17th, 2007, 1:19 pm

I've been lucky with the speeding tic's and all but I figure if I lose my right to drive a bike, I'll just continue on with a john deer somewhere up in the MI thumb

Ya, the power is there but you don't ALWAYS have to use it to the max! Just when the SO is on the back, arharh....ahem..sorry, couldn't help myself. She was only on the S once No need to ask why!

Nothing wrong with the GT and all, it just didn't fit me very well and duplicated what I already own with the LTC.

The S...mmm..just pure pleasure to ride I guess. And one of the most perfect (overall) machines I've ever seen, owned or ridden. It didn't have one thing I didn't like, a hard thing to say if your looking at bikes, always seems theres just one little thing you'd like different. Not on this one.

Reminds me of my 68 shelby after I got done with it, didn't hardly have to move to enjoy it. But it sure was fun when I romped on the 550 HP I put under the hood!
post #7 of 11 Old Dec 18th, 2007, 2:00 am

Mmmmm....I seem to remember reading a British mag that said they thought it was probably the fastest point-to-point bike in the world over unfamiliar roads. Since thats probably what many of us like, unfamiliar roads, well then.......

Ralph
Located: Auckland, New Zealand...
but I left my biking heart along the Scenic Byways of America.....

"Come fill the cup that clears
Today of past regrets and future fears." ....Omar Khayyam
post #8 of 11 Old Dec 18th, 2007, 9:26 am

And MCN gave it five, full, black dots. That's the best score they give.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grok
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 11 Old Dec 18th, 2007, 7:56 pm

You can never have too many - just too small of a garage!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodakgus
I am in need of a serious reality check. I traded my RT for an '07 K1200GT this past September. I am now having a serious case of buyer remorse. Remorse over the RT? Absolutely not. Remorse that I did not carefully consider the KS before jumping onto and riding off of on the GT.

I am seriously considering taking my financial lumps and trading the GT for a KS! I am 47 years old and have become totally infatuated by the looks and performance numbers (not to mention the enthusiastic ravings of "S" owners)!

Has anyone already treaded this path? That is, KGT to KS in less than six months ownership? I do not tour enough to be overly concerned about having the hard bags. I know that bags can be mounted for those rare occasions when I actually do take overnight rides. More than anything, I find my riding doing solo rides on the various fun routes found in eastern and southern Missouri (I live in STL).

Thanks,
Gus
If you can trade them, you are a step ahead of me. I just seem to buy more... The SO will have my head if I get rid of the LT, unless I trade it for a new one.

The dealer here will let you take extended test rides (if they think you are serious). I would take a long ride on a KS before I traded in the LT. Nothing I have ever ridden can compete with the LT for touring, but if your rides are short the KS is great fun.

Tim

2005 Graphite
The only way to live is in the wind....
post #10 of 11 Old Dec 19th, 2007, 9:21 am

Same here, the wife has her name on the title along with mine so I don't sell it (the LTC), heheh...

I agree on the ride too, anything over 600 miles or if I expect real bad weather, can't beet the LTC.

Although I did a slush/ice test with the K12S coming back from NM last week on I-10, it was 32 degs in teh dark and I think it hit some slush for about 30 feet! In AZ yet! doh! The bike is amazingly stable, even on slush! for a little bit at least....
post #11 of 11 Old Dec 19th, 2007, 11:27 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
And MCN gave it five, full, black dots. That's the best score they give.
Motorrad Magazine in Germany gave the K1200S its highest score ever... all bikes, all makes, since they started scoring bikes. Of course one could note the German source, but FWIW the previous record holder unseated by the KS was the VFR.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in