Before I take my helmet back - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Dec 17th, 2007, 6:49 am Thread Starter

Before I take my helmet back

I purchased a Shoei Profile helmet. It is great and I love it except for one thing. My temples begin to hurt after about 90 minutes of wearing it. It is fine at first, but then becomes painful.

I understand there is some break-in involved, but I am not sure how much give is possible. Any thoughts?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Dec 17th, 2007, 7:39 am
Gold Supporter

First, good luck taking a helmet back. Most places will not take them back once you walk out the door.

Are you wearing glasses? If yes they could be pressed against your temple, however most problems with glasses are the ears.

Try compressing the padding right around the temple area.

Getting a perfect fit with a helmet is difficult, because as you discovered they really feel great until you wear them awhile. I have a cabinet full of helmets that felt great in the store Now I will try on a helmet in the store and walk around with it on for at least a half hour and if I feel anything slightly bothering me I get rid of it, cause it will become a major issue after a couple of hours on the road. Learned about the ears with a couple of helmets (expensive helmets) that are in my collection.

Jerry
Look in the wolf's eyes and what do you see--A guardian spirit or fierce enemy?
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 Old Dec 17th, 2007, 8:06 am

90 minutes is a decent amount of time before feeling discomfort but you still need 180 or so to go "tank to tank". I have had the "experts" re-work some areas(forehead/temple) and what they did was remove and replace the padding(Arai's offer different thickness) and indent the Styrofoam slightly. Hope this helps.

D.Kinsey
Santa Fe, Tx.
15 R1200RT
13 Ducati Panigale Tricolore

12 Ducati Diavel Carbon(SOLD)
08 K1200LT (born 12/19/07)(SOLD)

09 Triumph Sprint ST...RED(SOLD)
00 K1200LT Custom Painted(SOLD)

post #4 of 16 Old Dec 17th, 2007, 8:12 am

I use a baseball to roll around the padding to compress it a bit in "hot spots". the closest I ever had to perfect was a Shoie RF800, which they don;t make anymore and the RF1000 isn't even close.

GOod luck with working it out.

Randy
post #5 of 16 Old Dec 17th, 2007, 9:24 am
Hog

I'm sure they won't let you return this helmet, but what you can do I believe is replace the pads with smaller ones. At least that's what I've done with my Arias. Dave
post #6 of 16 Old Dec 17th, 2007, 12:48 pm

I found a billiard type ball works great for area specific hot spots. I also used a deep tool socket for rounding off the area by the forehead. Worked pretty well for our fit issues. I also found the styrene was not quite cut properly for the venting, so I opened that up while I was in there.
post #7 of 16 Old Dec 17th, 2007, 2:51 pm

I had to heat up a big soup spoon with a torch....then slice thru a mess of styrofoam in the forehead area to get my Nolan to fit.....and it was the biggest one they make!! Hooda thunk?
The spoon went thru the styrofoam like a knife thru butter......didn't smell real good....but, what the hey..

Pat

Patterson/USAF1....'05 LT
and the little guy behind me is the world famous "Marty Hill"
Never look into a lazer with the remaining eye
363K on BMW's
post #8 of 16 Old Dec 19th, 2007, 10:03 am

The suggested methods of compressing the foam in the offending areas should do fix you up. When you're ready to buy your next helmet bear in mind that not all heads or helmets have the same fit. I've always had trouble with Shoei, Arai helmets usually fit my head better in the same size although I do own a new model Shoei which fits great. The point is, try several brands and models. They are not all shaped the same.
post #9 of 16 Old Dec 19th, 2007, 10:15 am Thread Starter

Thanks, I am going to give the billard ball/baseball method a try when I return from my business trip.

It should only take a little adjusting. Every other aspect of the helmet fits, perfect.

Also, I feel kind of foolish, but it turns out my helmet is an Arai. Oh well.

Thanks again for all the help.
post #10 of 16 Old Dec 19th, 2007, 11:08 am

Many helmet shops do let you return the undamaged helmet, usually in a limited amount of time. I would return it for one that is the right shape and size! Not sure about compromising the foam for a custom fit...
post #11 of 16 Old Dec 19th, 2007, 4:52 pm

Exclamation

NO!

With respect to everyone's suggestions to improve the fit, the styrofoam is there to absorb energy in the event of an accident. Once the styrofoam is compressed, the helmet cannot do its job. After that, you must replace the helmet. Styrofoam does not rebound.

You can try trimming down the fabric padding, but DO NOT compress the styrofoam with a ball or a hot spoon or anything else.

If your helmet doesn't fit, find one that does. If you use a helmet with compressed styrofoam, you are only fooling yourself about the safety of that helmet.

Source:
I know the people at Shoei's headquarters in Tustin, CA. They inspect helmets all the time. A major focus during a helmet inspection is to look for compressed styrofoam.
post #12 of 16 Old Dec 19th, 2007, 9:30 pm

I'm calling BS to the above post,

Nobody is telling him to compress ALL of the styrofoam in his helmet,
only in the places where his head is feeling discomfort.
Agreed replacing the pads for thinner ones would be a better solution.
Flattening a few inches of foam is not going to reduce the effectiveness of the helmet anywhere but in those few select spaces.
The helmet manufacturers would have us believing that we should replace our helmets every time the wind blows them of the seat.
I can tell you from experience the helmet will save you from a lot of abrasion,
with direct impact the "magical" styrofoam is only going to help "some"

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #13 of 16 Old Dec 20th, 2007, 8:36 am

I've never had a helmet fit perfectly off the show room floor. I think about the best you can do is try a bunch of them on - you're going to know in the first ten minutes or so if there is an issue with the general shape.

I don't think there is a thing wrong with flattening the foam in select locations up to 1/8 of an of an inch - the thickness of a coat hanger wire - just enough to relieve a pressure spot.

I've "custom fit" my helmets in the past by doing exactly that with the round end of a large ball peen hammer - I gently depressed the foam until it fit "just right". Sometimes 1/32 of an inch is all that's needed. I've also ADDED visco elastic foam to the crown to take up space in helmets that were a bit too large.

I'm sure all the helmet manufacturers would be incredulous that anyone would do something like this to one of their fine products, and would proclaim that it is both dangerous and foolhardy. It would be neccessary to buy a new helmet immediately.

The styrofoam is critically important, since it keeps your brain from slamming into your skull during a sudden stop. Lower G force numbers are always better, unfortunately some of the most expensive top brand helmets (Arai among them) are poor performers. Some of the cheapest (under $150.00) helmets are excellent performers since they have softer styrofoam which slowly decelerates the old grey matter.

Abrasion is an issue, but just about any shell - whether fiberglass or polycarbonate, will perform equally well.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #14 of 16 Old Dec 20th, 2007, 12:28 pm Thread Starter

So I spoke with the kind folks at Arai. They have a small liner that can snap in. Of course is cost $40 buck, there is no promise it will fix the issue. As I am just getting back into riding, it is a bit of a tough pill to take, when I paid over $400 for the helmet.

I will let you know if this fixes the problem.

Thanks again for all the feedback.
post #15 of 16 Old Dec 25th, 2007, 3:46 pm

Returning a Helmet

I've had good experience with Cycle Gear - they have a 100% satisfaction guarantee on helmets and most riding gear.

Tim Hustead
Sea Marshal, U.S. Coast Guard
Sector Seattle
post #16 of 16 Old Jan 6th, 2008, 5:08 pm Thread Starter

Final update

I received the smaller interior pad for the helmet. It did not fix the problem. Pain actually seemed to start sooner.

I the baseball to compact the inner shell a bit. It helped, but did not entirely fix the problem. The interior pad has a snap that matches a snap on the inner shell. I removed that and problem fixed.

I had a great pain-free ride today. The fact that Arai has these easy to remove interior pads is nice, but it should not come at the expense of comfort.

Oh well. Thanks again to everyone for all the feedback.

LL

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in