Looking for former Goldwing riders - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 Old Dec 14th, 2007, 11:15 pm Thread Starter

Looking for former Goldwing riders

I'm currently riding an '02 wing and in the off-season I'm toying with the idea of changing rides. To be honest, I love the wing! We ride a lot of long trips, pulling a trailer and many times with our dog on the trunk rack. What we really want is a little different culture than the wing clubs we have ridden with.

Can any converts give me any impressions of the differences in both the bike and the clubs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old Dec 15th, 2007, 6:13 am

Goldwing

I came off a 01 GW. I had a 02 and now have a 99 LT. What it comes down to it, and you will see peoples different responses, you. They will like this and that, the bike had this problem and that. This and that bike handles like crap etc................ It comes down to you. Both bikes are great touring motorcycles. I am just a big time BMW and switched when a dealer was opened in my home town.

John
Florida
2004 BMW R1150R Black
Contact me 4 motor training 1&1
Expert witness in motorcycle crash reconstruction (Contact me)
post #3 of 28 Old Dec 15th, 2007, 7:34 am

I'm a former Gold Wing Rider - in 1976.

There is just no comparison between my '76 wing and my '01 LT.

In a nutshell (comparing the current models...)

Wing:

Better handling at parking lot speeds, but that's about it.
Better for pulling HEAVY trailers.
Better for riders with short legs and wide butts.
Amazing low end torque.
More oriented toward the "older" end of the spectrum.
Poor gas mileage.
Just OK brakes and wind protection.
Ultimate superslab cruiser two up, period.
Super smooth motor and dead quiet at speed.
Dated look and ergonomics, controls.
Airbag optional, although this is about as dumb as the LT's hydraulic center stand that pees on the pavement frequently.
Gold Wing Road Riders Association Convention is amazing but boring, most members stand around kicking dirt all day.
Slight chance of frame failures causes unwarranted episodes of paranoid behavior.

LT:

Amazing handling for an 800 lb. tourer over 5 mph. None better.
Better suited overall to taller riders with more experience.
Kinda wimpy on the low end, but it sings between 60 to 110 mph.
Excellent gas mileage.
Best two up tourer for canyon carving.
Excellent brakes.
BMW "cache".
Dated engine and powertrain.
Electrically adjustable windshield.
Limited dealer network can be an issue if you live in the boonies.
Curve Cowboy Reunion is amazing and always exciting but frequently lonely around the hotel since everyone is always out RIDING. Last year there was a kidnapping where one member was held at gunpoint for ransom. Really.
Slight chance of rear drive failure causes unwarranted episodes of paranoid behavior.

All depends what you are looking for - The wing is more of a Winnebago, the LT more of a Greyhound bus.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; Dec 15th, 2007 at 7:42 am.

post #4 of 28 Old Dec 15th, 2007, 7:55 am
Gold Supporter

I am a former Winger, but I don't think I can add any more to what Ron said except that when we meet for RTE's or other functions it is not a fashion show and the people are down to earth.

CCR is the most fun of all the rally's I have ever been to, which says a lot.

Jerry
Look in the wolf's eyes and what do you see--A guardian spirit or fierce enemy?
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 28 Old Dec 15th, 2007, 7:58 am

Talking Please clarify :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
All depends what you are looking for - The wing is more of a Winnebago, the LT more of a Greyhound bus.
Of all the GW/LT comparos I have read, this I really don't get!

I've never driven a Greyhound bus... they must be much sportier that I had thought!
post #6 of 28 Old Dec 15th, 2007, 9:06 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Quote:
Curve Cowboy Reunion is amazing and always exciting but frequently lonely around the hotel since everyone is always out RIDING. Last year there was a kidnapping where one member was held at gunpoint for ransom. Really.
Yes this is SAD but TRUE
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0833.JPG
Views:	166
Size:	150.1 KB
ID:	15639  

Stevie Shreeve
post #7 of 28 Old Dec 15th, 2007, 9:24 am

Comparison

You certainly spend more money on riding gear on the LT. Most LT riders wear the full compliment of protective gear. Of course, you will have to try several different types until you get the right mix of summer and cool weather gear. You may also need some sort of secret hiding spot for all the gear that did not work so the wife does not really know what you have spent.

2003 K1200LT Titan Silver - The Great Escape
post #8 of 28 Old Dec 15th, 2007, 9:55 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwingrider
Can any converts give me any impressions of the differences in both the bike and the clubs?
This thread may be helpful:
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...918#post190918

Jim S.
'07 SturmGrau K1200LT

ďNot all those who wander are lost.Ē

post #9 of 28 Old Dec 15th, 2007, 10:08 am

I am doing research preparatory to buying a trike and trying to learn about G-Ws as there are several trike options for them. Both are good. Both have weaknesses. I am kinda leaning toward a Hannigan based on a K LT primarily because it's the devil that I know.
post #10 of 28 Old Dec 15th, 2007, 10:28 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieVT
Of all the GW/LT comparos I have read, this I really don't get!

I've never driven a Greyhound bus... they must be much sportier that I had thought!
Ok, how about a Winnie and one of THESE! Check out that double slider living room, plenty of room to work on the LT.

(Nicely equipped, about $1M)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	american heritage mh.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	15640   Click image for larger version

Name:	american heritage interior.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	395.6 KB
ID:	15641  

"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; Dec 15th, 2007 at 10:35 am.
post #11 of 28 Old Dec 15th, 2007, 10:41 am

Smile

The new gold wings will eat your butts. No clutch problems, no adding oil every 1000 miles, no ABS crap, No security ring problems, More power, more torque,,,more storage, less money. just not as cool looking....Also
Just not enough ground clearance when scraping s curves, don't sound as cool, but the new gold wings are just about perfect if you do not like working on stuff every time you ride.
post #12 of 28 Old Dec 15th, 2007, 11:56 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by advriderga
The new gold wings will eat your butts. No clutch problems, no adding oil every 1000 miles, no ABS crap, No security ring problems, More power, more torque,,,more storage, less money. just not as cool looking....Also
Just not enough ground clearance when scraping s curves, don't sound as cool, but the new gold wings are just about perfect if you do not like working on stuff every time you ride.
Umm, what's a "security ring problem" I better see if there's an issue with mine before it breaks. LT's don't burn oil - at ALL.

GW's have more power, more torque, more displacement, but they don't go quicker or faster. A virtual dead heat in performance and almost identical weight. Could that be due to the superior aerodynamics of the LT??

I actually like the sound of that flat 6 alot, very sweet music. When the baffles are out it reminds me of a Mustang. The plane, not the car.

I had a perfect bike one time - an ST1100. It was perfectly BORING, absoulutely no character, no chance of breaking down beside the road.
What fun is that?

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #13 of 28 Old Dec 15th, 2007, 1:02 pm

Wink

I can comment on the culture since we participate as vendors at many GWRRA and BMW events. Goldwing events seem very formal to me. There are captains, directors, and other various appointed / elected officials. Their events are almost always held in downtown metropolitan areas. They seem to spend a large amount of money on LED lights, chrome, and other things to make their bikes look better. They do appear to be having a good time although there seems to be a lot of drama behind the scenes and there is certainly a lot of club politics going on.
The BMW rallies MOA or RA are pretty laid back. As another person put it "it's like camping with your closest friend." A pretty relaxed atmosphere and for the most part their rallies are as far away from major metropolitan areas as you can get. As pointed out BMW riders will spend their money on protective clothing first and when they spend $$ on their bikes it's usually to enhance the performance.
One other thing I notice, BMW riders ride faster for the most part then GW riders. I had one customer at a GWRRA event tell me he sold his BMW because " BMW riders ride like crazy people" I guess I'm one of the crazy people, the Beemer riders look normal to me!
post #14 of 28 Old Dec 15th, 2007, 1:10 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nplenzick
I can comment on the culture since we participate as vendors at many GWRRA and BMW events. Goldwing events seem very formal to me. There are captains, directors, and other various appointed / elected officials. Their events are almost always held in downtown metropolitan areas. They seem to spend a large amount of money on LED lights, chrome, and other things to make their bikes look better. They do appear to be having a good time although there seems to be a lot of drama behind the scenes and there is certainly a lot of club politics going on.
The BMW rallies MOA or RA are pretty laid back. As another person put it "it's like camping with your closest friend." A pretty relaxed atmosphere and for the most part their rallies are as far away from major metropolitan areas as you can get. As pointed out BMW riders will spend their money on protective clothing first and when they spend $$ on their bikes it's usually to enhance the performance.
One other thing I notice, BMW riders ride faster for the most part then GW riders. I had one customer at a GWRRA event tell me he sold his BMW because " BMW riders ride like crazy people" I guess I'm one of the crazy people, the Beemer riders look normal to me!

That is because many of the gold wing riders are much older and I guess and slower...I am KTM, Goldwing, and BMW and I ride them all fast. The Goldwing will each all of them if you let it breath....and run...
post #15 of 28 Old Dec 15th, 2007, 2:27 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwingrider
I'm currently riding an '02 wing and in the off-season I'm toying with the idea of changing rides. To be honest, I love the wing! We ride a lot of long trips, pulling a trailer and many times with our dog on the trunk rack. What we really want is a little different culture than the wing clubs we have ridden with.

I had a GL1500 (about 8 years) and I joined the GWRRA to get the monthly pub and that was it. I didn't care for the club(by) atmosphere and the name tags, with ride captains and all the tiered membership stuff with the monthly meetings and the dues. Bottom line was I didn't have any real fun riding the GL but I love to ride and will ride anywhere or anytime I can. I have been riding for 35 years.

The LT changed that..

I still love to ride but now I have real fun when I ride. This is sort of a club that holds session every day and meets at least once a year and your invited, if you want. Not everyone can take 10 days out of life to have fun. If you can't make the 'meeting' we still hold session every day.. The yearly meeting place is ALWAYS in an awesome place to ride. After all that is why we meet, sort of. Funny thing is at our yearly meeting your not turned away or looked on any different if your not on an LT or BMW for that matter.

True, the gear is expensive and I everything I have added to my LT has been for safety, function or performance.. except the Sat Radio..

Each bike has it's good points and negatives. Is the LT better than a GW? Of course not... it's different. You need to ride it for a few hours and make up your own mind. I'll guarantee that you will get more comments on your ride at most gas stops if you have an LT.. I do! Much more than my GL and it was in just as good shape.

Hope to hear you around the keyboard...

Good luck!

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #16 of 28 Old Dec 15th, 2007, 4:39 pm

Wink

Quote:
That is because many of the gold wing riders are much older and I guess and slower...I am KTM, Goldwing, and BMW and I ride them all fast. The Goldwing will each all of them if you let it breath....and run...
It's merely an observation. When we close down our booth for the day I'll go out for a ride. They'll be lots of bikes out in the evening at both rallies. Most of the time few GWRRA riders are keeping up with me, at a BMW event it's the other way around!
post #17 of 28 Old Dec 15th, 2007, 8:32 pm

I also might add that the age group seems about the same.
post #18 of 28 Old Dec 15th, 2007, 9:29 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackd
I'll guarantee that you will get more comments on your ride at most gas stops if you have an LT.. I do! Much more than my GL and it was in just as good shape.

Hope to hear you around the keyboard...

Good luck!
Most of the GW's around here have to stop when their fuel gauge gets down to about 3/4 full. They put in about 1.6 gallons and when the BMW's stop after 38 miles after the fuel light came on, it's 6.3 gallons and the people around you are wondering where all that gas went to."It holds HOW much?"

"BONES" <///><

2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #19 of 28 Old Dec 15th, 2007, 10:51 pm
Cat Herder

Quote:
TROLL ALERT
post #20 of 28 Old Dec 16th, 2007, 6:53 am

What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nplenzick
I also might add that the age group seems about the same.
I am not 70!

Now, I have seen a few old folks, but not that old!

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #21 of 28 Old Dec 16th, 2007, 7:13 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkpr1998
I am not 70!

Now, I have seen a few old folks, but not that old!
Hey there youg fellar! What's wrong with 70! No, Im not there yet but it's only about another 30,000 to 40,000 miles away. That's equilivant to two years more or less.

Cheers

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'99 Canyon Red RETIRED AT 93,000 MI
'05 GRAPHITE METALLIC retired at 87,000 MI
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold
'85 K100/EML sidecar sold
'11 R1200RT currently being enjoyed

post #22 of 28 Old Dec 16th, 2007, 7:28 am

Quote:
Since I ride all three types of bikes and am not as bias one way or the other.
Each bike has its own unique characteristics, and I have raced, and toured most of my life...

The new gold wings 2005 forward are different machines altogether than the older lead wings.... I do notput anything on any of my bikes unless I absolutely need it...weight is your enemy on a long ride...My latest ride was from Georgia to Alaska and back 13000 miles...I do not run interstates either... all back roads on this trip but about 500 miles...

I love to work on bikes, part of the fun and if you like maintence you certainly need to do BMW and the KTM's....I know I have them both... If you want to just ride endlessly
just put tires on every 8,000 miles get you a new Goldwing... I went the entire 13000
without one drop of oil put into it. I ride 300 plus miles between fill ups and I will do at least two a day...for 6 weeks...and that is just being a tourist, not racing, not keeping up, not doing land records, etc...

I love my R 1200GS for fire roads and going across some foreign land where I might hit a muddy road, or no road at all. I love my KTM for true trail riding and hill climbing I would not be able to do on either of the other two... They all have their place and you have to decide if this is a trail day or a 600 mile tour day or a 300 mile fire road day.

I do and I am not 70 but I have a few miles on me.
post #23 of 28 Old Dec 16th, 2007, 1:16 pm

Quote:
Since I ride all three types of bikes and am not as bias one way or the other.
Each bike has its own unique characteristics, and I have raced, and toured most of my life...

The new gold wings 2005 forward are different machines altogether than the older lead wings.... I do notput anything on any of my bikes unless I absolutely need it...weight is your enemy on a long ride...My latest ride was from Georgia to Alaska and back 13000 miles...I do not run interstates either... all back roads on this trip but about 500 miles...

I love to work on bikes, part of the fun and if you like maintence you certainly need to do BMW and the KTM's....I know I have them both... If you want to just ride endlessly
just put tires on every 8,000 miles get you a new Goldwing... I went the entire 13000
without one drop of oil put into it. I ride 300 plus miles between fill ups and I will do at least two a day...for 6 weeks...and that is just being a tourist, not racing, not keeping up, not doing land records, etc...

I love my R 1200GS for fire roads and going across some foreign land where I might hit a muddy road, or no road at all. I love my KTM for true trail riding and hill climbing I would not be able to do on either of the other two... They all have their place and you have to decide if this is a trail day or a 600 mile tour day or a 300 mile fire road day.

I do and I am not 70 but I have a few miles on me.
Since you work on bikes I still want to know what the "security ring" is that you talked about in your #11 post...

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #24 of 28 Old Dec 16th, 2007, 2:29 pm

Isn't anybody watching the gate for crying out loud!!!

Troll...Troll...Troll!!!:

GolfGuy

Bob Thede
'02 K1200 LT-Blackie II

'97 BMW Z3-SO's
BMWMOA #135792

CCR-'08

'62 Fender Jazz Bass-played often!
post #25 of 28 Old Dec 16th, 2007, 5:43 pm

Quote:
Since you work on bikes I still want to know what the "security ring" is that you talked about in your #11 post...
Ron, I'm not sure but it sounds like an "antenna ring" (if memory serves me correctly) that has failed on the newer GSs/GS-As. I'm not sure that's the right term for this device or unit but it has left a few people stranded. Randy Prade, maybe?

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #26 of 28 Old Dec 17th, 2007, 8:33 am

If you love your Goldwing, there is no reason to change rides. Just join a BMW riding group or go to a rally. I know our group, and I believe most BMW groups, really don't care that much what you ride. If its a BMW - fine, if not - no big deal, let's just go for a ride.

As it says in all the Spacecoast BMW Riders emails for our twice a month club ride - "No destination has been set. All riders are welcome so bring out your non-BMW riding friends."

C'mon - let's ride.

Alex H Lindsay
Melbourne, FL
Champagne 2001 LT
Space Coast BMW Riders
post #27 of 28 Old Dec 17th, 2007, 9:03 am Thread Starter

Hey Golfguy, what's the deal with Troll? Are you referring to me?

Alindsay: I do love the wing but I also need a new addiction.
post #28 of 28 Old Dec 18th, 2007, 2:50 pm

Since I am only dreaming of a BMW, let me talk from the Gold Wing side of the equation.

I have been a member of GWRRA for 16 years, but at the same time belong to AMA and COG (Concours Owners Group).

My point is that I ride not only GWRRA events and doings, but also others that are either group sponsored or an informal get together with friends that ride all sorts of motorcycles, scooters, trikes, side cars, etc.

It is beyond me how folks can get sterotyped by what brand or type of motorcycle they ride. I can understand how they get grouped into the idiot category for not having a helmet, boots, jacket, glove and other protective gear on while riding, but I will defend their right to make such a foolish decision.

I hae been riding for 40 years, both alone, and with friends in a group. I have met all sorts of folks on all brands of motorcycles. Some I liked immediately and some I could not warm up to, but it had nothing to do with the brand of motorcycle that they rode.

Since it is Christmas time, let me conclude with a hearty "Peace on Earth and Good Will Toward Men"

Ride Safe and God Bless

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in