Great Idea from another list - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Dec 11th, 2007, 10:10 am Thread Starter

Thumbs up Great Idea from another list

I just saw this on the BMW sport touring list and thought I would share it here. Going to make it a regular part of any tear down I do from now on.

Take a picture of your bike from the side. Print it in 8.5 x 11 size, borderless, on your printer. Don't worry if it gets fuzzy.

Glue the print to a chunk of shirt cardboard.

Now, as you remove each of the screws, push it through the cardboard/picture in the location it came out of. Presto, a map for putting them back.

I do the same thing for things like clutch and alternator covers on my Japanese motorcycles. There, I just trace the gasket on a piece of cardboard. Sure makes life easy.

Hackercraft
03 LTE
72 75/5 Gone to a new home
03 R1200CLC Hannigan Classic ordered

BMWOA # 134205

Never argue with idiots, they'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Dec 11th, 2007, 10:17 am

Great idea especially for those pesky fairing screws the first couple of times around - now if only someone could come up with a way to avoid stripping those little buggers!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #3 of 14 Old Dec 11th, 2007, 11:39 am
IBR# 366

Garage
When I first started working on the LT, I printed out a pic of the side panel from the service manual and taped that to a soda case box (or beer, if you prefer ). Then all the screws got stuck in the pic where they came from on the bike.

After a few tear downs, I gave up on the cardboard and just threw all the screws into a plastic cup. During reassembly, I do this:

Short screws - one panel into a metal clip or threaded hole

Medium screws - two panels into a metal clip or threaded hole

Long screws - into rubber well nuts

Note the factory also uses some allen head screws in certain areas (tip over wings, lower fairing panel), but most of us have swapped those to Torx long ago. The only real concern is under the oddments box lid, where you need smaller heads like on the allen screws (or just trim down a couple of Torx screws).

Once you've done it a few times, it starts to make much more sense.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

post #4 of 14 Old Dec 11th, 2007, 12:12 pm

Just two words....

Duct Tape!

Beautify America - Get a Tattoo!
2002 K1200LT (going, going, GONE)
post #5 of 14 Old Dec 11th, 2007, 12:15 pm

muffin tray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tat_n_Telle
Duct Tape!

Wolfgang

K1200LT 1999 Champaign SOLD
R1100RS 1994 Teal SOLD
R1150RT 2003 Blue (Sold)
R1100RT 1997 Blue

Pest, Budapest Hungary

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness."
Mark Twain

post #6 of 14 Old Dec 11th, 2007, 12:34 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
When I first started working on the LT, I printed out a pic of the side panel from the service manual and taped that to a soda case box (or beer, if you prefer ). Then all the screws got stuck in the pic where they came from on the bike /..../
Once you've done it a few times, it starts to make much more sense.
The problem with the LT is that you need to print a billboard-size picture to get all these screws in! What is it, some 20 fasteners per side or so?

Seriously, you are right, there is a system on putting them in. Still, I do segregate at least by sections where the screws/bolts were: fairing separate from tank, etc.

Bottom line, the original poster is right: it pays to be organized and to sort and label removed parts/fasteners. It pays for itself in a hurry, especially if the project took a long time and the memory is getting dim... DAHIK...

Robert in Northern NJ

'09 R12GS, '08 R12RT, '03 R1150RT, '01 F650GS - time to thin the herd?

post #7 of 14 Old Dec 11th, 2007, 2:48 pm

I put them in one of those magnetic bowls. That way when you accidentally kick it across the gearage.... they all go flying.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #8 of 14 Old Dec 11th, 2007, 2:59 pm

I do this with laptops, LAN gear and whatever. But I skip the picture part. Just put the screws through the paper in a 'relative' position to the other ones.

Same net effect, I guess. Just don't look like 'dot to dot' to anyone come'n by to see what's up .

Tate

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and

post #9 of 14 Old Dec 11th, 2007, 5:08 pm

I like the picture idea.

I too have used muffin tims and found them very useful.

During teardown, I like to use a digital camera to take pictures of things like gear lineups, electrical routing, etc. where reassembly can be a pain. You can even use little plastic arrows in the picture to point out things you don't want to forget.

- Heloise

Brian Vandivere
2008 RT

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
-Thomas Jefferson

post #10 of 14 Old Dec 11th, 2007, 6:22 pm

extra screws and parts

I think BMW somehow is able to include extra parts and different screws that are all over the bike, but not really doing anything important. I know that's the truth because at the end of any project, I have several left over! I just keep them all in a little bag on the bike for whenever I need an extra whatever. Nothing has fallen off , too far, yet....

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #11 of 14 Old Dec 11th, 2007, 8:56 pm

Pretty good idea, I do something similar without all the pictures just push em through relative to where they belong.

When I remove the tupperware on the LT I just print out one of these.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screws.JPG
Views:	143
Size:	149.2 KB
ID:	15590   Click image for larger version

Name:	sidepanelscrews.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	15591  

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #12 of 14 Old Dec 11th, 2007, 10:57 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBuffalo
Like I said, short screws for one panel, medium screws for two panels, and long screws for rubber well nuts.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #13 of 14 Old Dec 11th, 2007, 11:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang
muffin tray
+1

F

BMWMOA
12 GTL
post #14 of 14 Old Dec 12th, 2007, 7:43 pm

Wink

Like Ken said:
"short screws for one panel, medium screws for two panels, and long screws for rubber well nuts."

I follow this as best I can, but sometimes find that I have swapped a long for a medium, or a medium for a short, or even visa-versa, and guess what? It all stays together just fine till the next time I strip her! After you've removed the tupperware as much as most of us have it just becomes almost second nature.

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in