Molded ear plug speakers questions - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Dec 7th, 2007, 1:17 pm Thread Starter
mos

Molded ear plug speakers questions

I am thinking of buying a pair of molded ear pulg speakers to use with my Autocom. I have gotten to like molded ear plugs and now have helmet speakers. The Autocom helmet speakers are so so at best. I am thinking that the molded ear plug speakers would work a lot better. One thing I am concerned about is the wire connections from the ear speakers to the Autocom connection, If taking the helmet on and off { full face } is a pain with the ear speakers and wires . Could I get some feed back on this.
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Dec 7th, 2007, 1:43 pm

Ear speakers

I moved from Autocom helmet speakers to in the ear speakers some years ago. It was a good move.

I have had both off the shelf ear buds and custom molded. The custom molded ones were very comfortable and sounded good. Had them made by Marylin "No Hear This" at a CCR a couple of years ago. They didn't last very long. An inadvertant tug on the wire caused a short. I emailed her and got no response so I just went back to an off the shelf set of ear buds from the AeroStitch RiderWearhouse catalog. Those came with multiple sets of ear cushions and after experimentation I found the set that is very comfortable. The sound is very good and they are very durable. They cost about half as much as the custom ones and have lasted 3 times as long.

Getting the helmet on and off with with wires really isn't a problem, and no more inconvenient if you are already using earplugs. The only concern is that you will someday accidently give a wire a tug and the ear speaker needs to be rugged enough to stand up to this mild abuse. My custom ones clearly were not. YMMV.

The custom molded ones are good but I'd get some kind of warranty if I bought them again.

HTH
post #3 of 9 Old Dec 7th, 2007, 3:49 pm

Cool

I went to the custom molded ear plugs with speakers several years ago and wouldn't have anything else. I also have speakers built into my helmet, but never use them anymore. The custom molded plugs nearly eliminate the road noise I had before and allow me to listen to AM/FM or music at a much lower volume that doesn't harm my long term hearing. I had one roll off when my LT laid down at slow speed and one of the speakers pulled out of the ear plug. I sent them back and they installed a new one for a reasonable price. I picked up an adapter from an organization that makes custom molded ear plugs that allows you to plug in the small stereo plug and still have pass through for your normal BMW plug to your system. That keeps you connected to your on-board system for intercom, etc. when you're riding two-up. If you want the info on the adapter PM me and I'll dig it out for you.

Denny

post #4 of 9 Old Dec 8th, 2007, 6:36 am

another approach

I too have considered what you are trying to do and have used foam earplugs for most of my riding to cut down on the road noise. My original equipment was the Autocom. I did not like the quality of the sound, replaced the speakers with titanium ones from Radio Shack. The sound improved quite noticeably and I continue to wear disposable ear plugs. I like not having to fool with another wire..

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #5 of 9 Old Dec 8th, 2007, 9:01 am

I've had a couple of molded sets from Marilyn and think they're great. On the second day on my '05 48++ I pulled out both lines from the earpieces (my bad) and Marilyn remolded some and sent me the new pair by the fifth day. I'm still using them with great results.

I've used simple plugs with a previous Autocom unit but find the molded units much better. I can easily hear incoming cell phone calls, auto answer, use the audiovox, and certainly enjoy music.

I have an expensive pair of Shure earphones for my Ipod but haven't tried them in the helmet.

Good luck.

Edgar Tanner
2009 Piaggio MP3 500
2003 Titan Silver LTC (Angel-returned to the heavens)
2000 Basalt LTC (Down for the count)
Kansas City, MO 64153
post #6 of 9 Old Dec 8th, 2007, 6:12 pm

Had my ears damaged, therefore, very sensitive to noise. I have the autocom, Pro M-1, and with ear plugs I couldn't hear my wife. I was considering molded plugs, however, I purchased a set of "the S plug" from Marylin. When she up dated them, she replaced my old ones with the new version, free. I like them so much, I bought my wife a pair, at the last CCR. They block out road and wind noise, and I hear her just fine. I also purchased a separate volume control for mine. Marylin has the necessary adapters for the autocom, at a cheaper price. Her email is [email protected], (305) 477-2333, 10265 N.W. 56 St., Doral, FL 33178. Hope that is all current.
post #7 of 9 Old Dec 9th, 2007, 11:29 am
Super Moderator

Spearers in your ears

Mike,

Below you will find a copy of a post I made some 18 months ago and reposted for general information.

As to your original post about the hassle of taking the helmet off and on - and the possibility of getting wires tangled up this is a non issue.

On another matter I would say depending upon your head size, helmet type, manufacturer and size and ear plugs there is a chance that the earplugs themselves could interfere with installed speakers. In my case I was using a Schuberth helmet XXL (flip style) with Autocom speakers - the speakers had to go once I moved on the earplugs with speakers (transducers).

Here the article in support of what you are contemplating:

Qualifications:
Hi my name is Dan and I have Tinnitus

How did I contract Tinnitus:
Don't really know - guess a lifetime of noises

Riding for:
for over 30 years

What do plain ear plugs do for me:
Upside: When properly sealed is achieved easier to concentrate, focused riding, less fatiguing, RPM's go up by at least 1,000, riding style changes with less dependency on noise and greater reliance on feel - with maybe an exception on a straight line down the highway.

Downside: When tinnitus is active they make it worse, as it does not allow for other noises to cancel or drown out the whine, some style earplugs hurt after a while and others are no problem - personal taste!!

Rating (1 to 10): 5 to 7

What do monitors (earplugs with transducers (speakers)) do for me:
Upside: Same as earplugs but I now have the choice of listening in great detail to my pillion, radio, iPod and auto answer on my cell phone. Music is fantastic (stereo - without wind or rumbling), audio books along with podcasts are quiet - you can hear all the words. Position of the windshield matters less. You can turn them off and they are just like ear plugs.

Downside: Music could cause drowsiness but so can other things - turn them off as necessary. Requires setting up equipment just right as these can be very sensitive and pick up electronic noises generated by the bike. Requires careful and constant cleaning of your ears and the monitors. Being careful not to leaving the lay around as a dog may chew on them . . . don't ask!!

Rating (1 to 10): 9 to 10.

Attached are is a picture of the two pair I use. The clear ones are musician grade and very sensitive (higher quality), the blue ones are for motor sports. Note you can use monitors on planes, trains and in many other settings as well. If any one has an iPod and walks around in public listening via ear plugs you may know the feeling I am referring about - isolation but a new sense of being connected. They are not for every one and for every occasion but as a daily commuter they are the first thing I put on - well not the first thing!!

Last caution: monitors or earplugs are only as good as the "seal they achieve in your ear while remaining comfortable" - its an individual thing! I can wear the musician grade - hard plastic for 10 or more hours with out issues. The blue ones are softer and made slight larger and they can be worn for a few hours after which I need to take them out and give my ears a rest. Actually sent these back to get remolded and the second molding was perfect - long term wearing not an issue.

My 3 cents . . .

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/attachme...achmentid=4911

So where did I but mine from:

http://www.earinc.com/p2-music.php

Dan Finazzo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"

Last edited by dfinazzo; Dec 9th, 2007 at 12:07 pm. Reason: spelling
post #8 of 9 Old Dec 9th, 2007, 12:24 pm

I have moulded ear plugs that a guy named Arizona Al (from the ST board)made for me last year in Torrey Utah and love them. The thing I like best about them, no wires to rip off. He uses air tubes that go from the speakers to the ear moulds. They sound great and yes i have riped off my helmet with the moulds in place but all i had to do was just reinsert the air tubes and good to go. I use a connection for my autocom and really don't find it a bother, once it became part of the routine. Best $180 I ever spent.

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #9 of 9 Old Dec 9th, 2007, 4:22 pm
Bouncer

Al made me the same type. They work great. If you run the wires under your jacket, you don't get any wind noise transmitted through the air tubes.

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in